Black DJI screen in flight - and crash....
3765 12 2020-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pixels with ALT
lvl.2

Canada

I just wanted to add a thread incase anyone else is experiencing this problem - I have already posted this as a reply in the firmware thread but I think it needs to be elevated for all to see without stumbling across it in another thread.

I had the dreaded black screen appear in flight - and smoked a 7 inch long range premium build because of it!

I was flying along, 50m in front of me LOS no obstructions (700mw and Signal 4) and then I got the black screen with DJI logo..... In post crash analysis, whilst sobbing into my beer, I noted that the OSD shows   quick flick to CH65535 part way through the flight and then again as it goes to black screen…..At the point of black screen the recording shows signal 4 => 1 and then the CH65535 flick.

Air unit and Goggs on firmware 01.00.0500

I too have experienced the SD card probs. 128gb Extreme in the air unit and most of the time it doesn’t recognise the card and says ‘no SD card’. Other times it randomly records or stops. Luckily for this flight the goggles recorded until a few seconds after the black screen.
The video also recorded on the air unit but due to the crash it didn’t finalise because of power loss so I have a video file which is corrupt from the air unit.
Now I’m up for $500 to replace the entire (5 flight old) 7 inch quad.
DJI care to comment?? I have a case no due to the dot on my goggle screen - hopefully both points can be fixed whilst it is in the repar centre. Is it possible the Air Unit has contributed to this issue? I have the log from the Air Unit if that helps. I'd hate to wait for the repair of my goggles to find out the Air Unit is also at fault / part of the problem.

See the following videos of the issue, and hoping for some clarity from DJI (I have been advised others have had the motherboard in the goggles replaced to fix this).  

Cheers

CH65535 during flight

CH65535 at point of Black Screen

2020-6-3
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

what exactly happened to your quad when you lost video? you were flying over grass and looks like around 50 ft in the air. i don't understand how that totaled it.
2020-6-3
Use props
Pixels with ALT
lvl.2

Canada

Kreeze Posted at 6-3 07:30
what exactly happened to your quad when you lost video? you were flying over grass and looks like around 50 ft in the air. i don't understand how that totaled it.

The crash that happened very shortly thereafter was the issue......
2020-6-3
Use props
Kreeze
lvl.4

United States

Pixels with ALT Posted at 6-3 07:36
The crash that happened very shortly thereafter was the issue......

what ended up being damaged?
2020-6-3
Use props
JasonWilli
lvl.2

India

These are some scenarios shared by Drone users on various forums about encountering corruption in DJI videos. The DJI videos get corrupt due to several reasons. However, the important thing is that you just can’t afford to lose your high-quality videos shot with DJI cameras due to corruption.   More information you will get through this source : https://dronephotographybible.co ... pt-dji-video-files/
2020-6-14
Use props
Mattijs123
lvl.1

Belgium

I have had the same thing happen.
I'm trying to do as many flights as I can now WITHOUT SD card in the air unit to see if that is in fact causing the video signal too.
I  don't like videos cutting off...
I really think it's BS that the video link can stop and it would sure be a hell of a firmware bug if it turns out that the next firmware does NOT suffer from either problem anymore.
My quad is a BNF DC3 from iflight with the standard cap on the flight controller. I'm sure how many farads it is. It's hard to see without taking the thing apart.

If the video link goes down again for no reason when the SD is NOT in the air unit i'll add a cap directly in front of the Air units power lead connector.

If it happens again after this....i'll sure be feeling silly for having bought the most expensive FPV system :/
2020-6-15
Use props
Mattijs123
lvl.1

Belgium

I'm trying to do as many flights as I can now WITHOUT SD card in the air unit to see if that is in fact causing the video signal too.
I really think it's BS that the video link can stop and it would sure be a hell of a firmware bug if it turns out that the next firmware does NOT suffer from either problem anymore.
My quad is a BNF DC3 from iflight with the standard cap on the flight controller. I'm sure how many farads it is. It's hard to see without taking the thing apart.

If the video link goes down again for no reason when the SD is NOT in the air unit i'll add a cap directly in front of the Air units power lead connector.

If it happens again after this....i'll sure be feeling silly for having bought the most expensive FPV system :/
2020-6-15
Use props
Pixels with ALT
lvl.2

Canada

JasonWilli Posted at 6-14 23:21
These are some scenarios shared by Drone users on various forums about encountering corruption in DJI videos. The DJI videos get corrupt due to several reasons. However, the important thing is that you just can’t afford to lose your high-quality videos shot with DJI cameras due to corruption.   More information you will get through this source : https://dronephotographybible.com/how-to-repair-corrupt-dji-video-files/

Thanks mate - I’ll give them a go today sometime. Hopefully I’ll have some luck, I’ll report back if I do.
2020-6-15
Use props
Pixels with ALT
lvl.2

Canada

Mattijs123 Posted at 6-15 00:41

I totally agree. I expect the video link to degrade and fail at a great distance - hopefully preempted by channel strength warning and an increase in latency. But my experience here was 50m directly in front of my position, LOS and with a still healthy battery. It has completely shocked my confidence in having reliable video at any distance. Both the goggles and air unit are with DJI for inspection / repair, I’m hoping that they find a hardware defect so I can be confident it wasn’t a random firmware bug that could happen again....
2020-6-15
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

Air unit and Goggs on firmware 01.00.0500 <- Your Probelm
2020-6-15
Use props
cez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1631217 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Pixels with ALT Posted at 2020-6-15 03:36
I totally agree. I expect the video link to degrade and fail at a great distance - hopefully preempted by channel strength warning and an increase in latency. But my experience here was 50m directly in front of my position, LOS and with a still healthy battery. It has completely shocked my confidence in having reliable video at any distance. Both the goggles and air unit are with DJI for inspection / repair, I’m hoping that they find a hardware defect so I can be confident it wasn’t a random firmware bug that could happen again....

Hi i have the same problem - what was the outcome of the repair, what was defective or the issue the found?

2021-10-10
Use props
Pixels with Altitude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3544652 ft
Canada

cez Posted at 10-10 06:11
Hi i have the same problem - what was the outcome of the repair, what was defective or the issue the found?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Q39zZO304

I had the air unit replaced under warranty and it hasn’t been an issue since. Must have been defective hardware.
2021-10-10
Use props
cez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1631217 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Pixels with Altitude Posted at 10-10 06:36
I had the air unit replaced under warranty and it hasn’t been an issue since. Must have been defective hardware.

Hi thanks for the answer great i hope its that.
What SD card are you using now?

Happy weekend
2021-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules