New EU UAS Regulation.
2507 16 2020-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_9XLWP8vzX9WD
lvl.1
Hungary

Hello. Do I need any kind of permission or license to use the mavic mini? Which category this Mavic Mini? Where can I use it? Anywhere?
2020-6-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You may want to read up on what your country laws are, just to protect
yourself and not get into any trouble. Typically you don't need a license, you may need permission
depending on where your flying and of course that depends on airspace.
2020-6-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Laws and regulations regarding UAVs / drones  can vary widely depending on location. In addition I hope that you will get the best information you need from our DJI EU co pilots who owns the DJI Mavic Mini and I will post a DJI Forum thread with regards to this matter ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-209156-1-1.html ). In addition I will post a link ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) where in you can check some location where in you can fly your DJI Drone freely or if the said location is a No Fly Zone ( NFZ ). I hope this can help. Thank you and please stay safe always.

2020-6-4
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
Italy

It's an A1C0 category drone, if you keep it under 250g, if only DJI were putting CE label on it it would be great !
As it has a camera you'll need to register it (at least in Italy,and stick a qr-code on it) but no online test under 250g

From the first of July 2020 you could even enjoy extended flights capabilities (in towns, over people, night, fpv,...), but you have to check, it depends on the country, the area.
Anyway, passing the online test (like in France and Italy), is not a big deal, you learn laws and regulations, and maybe would avoid your asking such questions: you would know it  ;-)
You'll be able to fly VLOS, max. 500m dist, and 120m AGL

2020-6-5
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

The CE label could not be obtained afterward. Only drones which are produced after the 1st of January 2021 could be "drone CE" certified.
2020-6-5
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

Francoisd Posted at 6-5 01:10
The CE label could not be obtained afterward. Only drones which are produced after the 1st of January 2021 could be "drone CE" certified.
Drones are already sold online with C0 mark/label
2020-6-5
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

Francoisd Posted at 6-5 01:10

Agreed for the first part, for the second part (1st january 2021), I would like to know where it comes from, as I've seen a drone wich is already marked C0, on an online shop..
So I guess DJI could be labelling them from months, if they just wanted to.. Anyway, that'll only be a problem from 07/2022, will the MM survive until then ? ;-D

2020-6-5
Use props
djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ
lvl.2
Croatia

Balooo Posted at 6-5 01:12
Agreed for the first part, for the second part (1st january 2021), I would like to know where it comes from, as I've seen a drone wich is already marked C0, on an online shop..
So I guess DJI could be labelling them from months, if they just wanted to.. Anyway, that'll only be a problem from 07/2022, will the MM survive until then ? ;-D

As a potential first drone buyer form Europe I did a fair bit of research and from what I have gathered it is a really bad time to buy basically any current drone model on the market, without a clear classification under the new regulations. The mavic mini's weight of 249g is now completely irrelevant as it's got a camera, and weight categories are calculated from maximal take-off weight not the actual weight of the drone at the time of a take-off (ridiculous for regulations that pride themselves on being purely risk-based). So the Mini fits in the below 500g maximal take off weight category and a very radical weight savings used on the mini have basically been for nothing, unless you are into hiking and need to save every gram.
That's in no way the worst thing. It's that in a two years time you will no longer be able to fly the mini basically anywhere other than remote, unpopulated areas (no closer than 150m to any built-up area, both residential and recreational, and not in an area where any uninvolved person can be expected to hypothetically enter). So, for most of us the mini, in two years time, will be permanently grounded (other than perhaps a few trips to remote areas). If you want to fly it legally, that is. If you think of buying it now and then trading up in a year or two, the resale value of uncertified drones in EU will probably plummet faster than a drone with a loose battery, as the 2022. approaches.
Please correct me if I am wrong, as I would really like to be able to rationally justify buying a mini, but from my reading of the new regulations I just can't.  Investing even more money in a more advanced mavic models makes even less sense, other than for professional use with a very quick return on investment.

I would also like to hear from DJI:
1. Can you give any guarantees that it is possible to retroactively classify and certify the current mavic models in the new EU framework and that it will be done very soon (give a deadline) - I really doubt that this is even possible .
or
2. That following the end of the transition period (July 2022.), you will be offering a very generous trade-in deals for all current mavic owners, with evaluations not based on the second-hand free market price (which I am predicting will be extremely low), but a fair price for a 2-year old used drone not crippled by a change in regulations (specify exactly how will that be calculated, in advance).
or
3. Significantly (>30%) cut the prices of all current (that is to say, obsolete) models to compensate for the significant reduction in the useful lifetime on our new drones.
2020-6-7
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

EASA has been delayed until 31.12.20, there are currently no CE approved drones on the market.  CE approval will not be retrospective for the Mini’s we are buying or own now.  Any drone with data capture (camera) will require registration under EASA regulations here in UK and Europe... Fortunately here in the UK the CAA have modified EASA rules to state flight weight and not maximum takeoff weight, so mini in the UK is a good option moving forward.... but you will still have to register, pay and display registration on drone when registration comes into force.   Looking forward to taking off from my garden to film the New Year fireworks
2020-6-7
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not an expert but I would suggest to have a look in the below video (and chart). In my understanding there are lots of grey areas in what is going to happen in the near future, but there is a good possibility for Mini to be allowed to fly without registration and licence in the future as well:

2020-6-7
Use props
djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ
lvl.2
Croatia

ThalisGr Posted at 6-7 02:49
Not an expert but I would suggest to have a look in the below video (and chart). In my understanding there are lots of grey areas in what is going to happen in the near future, but there is a good possibility for Mini to be allowed to fly without registration and licence in the future as well:

[view_image]

I have just read the UK proposal (from April) and am happy to see that they have adopted a more reasonable TOW definition for legacy models, as opposed to MTOW that is in the EU original. Unfortunately, I am not in a UK but Croatia and have no idea will my country follow suit. It could go either way. Does anyone know more about possible TOM/MTOM wording changes for the  EU regulation?
2020-6-7
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ Posted at 6-7 04:46
I have just read the UK proposal (from April) and am happy to see that they have adopted a more reasonable TOW definition for legacy models, as opposed to MTOW that is in the EU original. Unfortunately, I am not in a UK but Croatia and have no idea will my country follow suit. It could go either way. Does anyone know more about possible TOM/MTOM wording changes for the  EU regulation?

I believe it’s because the UK is leaving the EU they are adopting most of the EASA framework, however the CAA civil aviation authority are making some tweaks here and will not be reflected in the rest of Europe.
2020-6-7
Use props
djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ
lvl.2
Croatia

TDZHDTV Posted at 6-7 05:02
I believe it’s because the UK is leaving the EU they are adopting most of the EASA framework, however the CAA civil aviation authority are making some tweaks here and will not be reflected in the rest of Europe.

So is that it for EU and Mavic Mini? After 2022. in the same high risk category as a 25kg drone?
2020-6-7
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ Posted at 6-7 09:08
So is that it for EU and Mavic Mini? After 2022. in the same high risk category as a 25kg drone?

I think it’s far from people! 150m, but I’m no expert, You’ll have to do a little research
2020-6-7
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

In the below link you can find the whole proposal regulation regarding mainly drones... and this is for the whole EU including UK

This proposal and in the Artical 20 it says the below:

•‘Legacy’ unmanned aircraft (those that do not hold a class markingand were placed on the market before 1July 2022) may be used indefinitely in the Open category:
      •If less than 250g –within the subcategory A1(fly over people) limits listed in Part A of the Annex
      •If less than 25kg –within the subcategory A3 limits (fly far from people) listed in Part A of the Annex

Now the Annex is the below (and it is updated from the table i posted in my previous post)...According to this table the Mavic Mini should be register according to every country's law (I assume) and in UK it is an easy online process and you must pay just £9 per year. Nothing else is needed apart from the usual staff and in addition you can fly over peopel with some restrictions.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789%20April%202020.pdf
2020-6-7
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
France

From what I've read from drone sites, here in Italy, during next two yars MM will be condidered A1C0 for then beeing considered A3.. ridiculous and sad ! How can it be considered inoffensive and then offenive just for a lack of certification..^^
Another thing, the mandatory transponder for over 250g drones from 07/2020 or 01/2021: they don't even exist nowadays on the market ! (<10g for a few 10th €, as promised by EASA)
Will they become mandatory for MM flying over 250g ?

2020-6-7
Use props
djiuser_6sY2JRXmnnMJ
lvl.2
Croatia

Balooo Posted at 6-7 10:26
From what I've read from drone sites, here in Italy, during next two yars MM will be condidered A1C0 for then beeing considered A3.. ridiculous and sad ! How can it be considered inoffensive and then offenive just for a lack of certification..^^
Another thing, the mandatory transponder for over 250g drones from 07/2020 or 01/2021: they don't even exist nowadays on the market ! (

Good news, I have directly contacted Croatian Civil Aviation Authority and they have confirmed that as long as the total mass of the Mavic Mini at the time of the take-off is below 250g, I will be able to fly it in the A1 category even after 2022. Hopefully that will really be the standard interpretation when the time comes.
2020-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules