1713 8 2020-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happened to me yesterday while flying my MA2 with the Ipad Mini 5 as a display device.  I was having a pretty good flight when all of sudden my FPV screen and all telemetry disappeared and this screen appeared!  I was flying about 1100 ft down range and 150 ft or so high.  I immediately let go of the sticks.  I was having trouble seeing the quadcopter at this distance since i had taken my eyes off of it to look at the screen.  After a few seconds of "Oh ****, what happened?", I hit the RTH button on the RC.  It seemed to take 2 or 3 minutes (but was probably only 45 seconds or so) and the quad came back hovering above me.  I immediately took control and landed it.  After some pondering as to what happened, and getting my heart rate back down, I decided to swap out the RC cable to the Ipad Mini 5 to see if that made any difference.  i swapped the cable for another one I had and "Bingo!", it worked!  FPV and all telemetry was back on the display.  RC and display were talking again. Whew!  Did a short test flight to see if it all still worked.  It did, so I resumed flying to my first intended location and took some photos.

Moral of the story:  Some longer 3rd party USB-C to Lightning cables are not reliable! The thing that bothers me is, the first cable was working just fine when I launched and started flying.  It failed after I was in the air! YiKES!  I'll be gun-shy for awhile now, until this cable, display and RC combo prove themselves in several flights.

Has anyone else had good or "bad" luck with 3rd party USB-C to Lightning cables with their Ipad Mini 5 and RC?

RC not connected to mobile device

RC not connected to mobile device
2020-6-6
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that I saw that message when trying to connect while my WIFI was going through a VPN.  When I dropped the VPN connection everything worked.
2020-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there K9JDN. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to read and to know about your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Air 2. This experience of your will help a lot of our DJI co pilots. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories or cables when operating or flying your DJI drones. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories / cables will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-6-14
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-14 21:48
Hello there K9JDN. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to read and to know about your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Air 2. This experience of your will help a lot of our DJI co pilots. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories or cables when operating or flying your DJI drones. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories / cables will be able work. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

DJI Stephen -   Thank you for your concern.  However, if DJI offered longer cables for their products, I wouldn't need to buy a 3rd party cable.  Perhaps DJI should spend more time in the evaluation of 3rd party products that support their main line of consumer products.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

K9JDN Posted at 6-16 07:32
DJI Stephen -   Thank you for your concern.  However, if DJI offered longer cables for their products, I wouldn't need to buy a 3rd party cable.  Perhaps DJI should spend more time in the evaluation of 3rd party products that support their main line of consumer products.

I experienced similar disconnect using DJI-supplied cable. See: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218126

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 6-7 14:07
I think that I saw that message when trying to connect while my WIFI was going through a VPN.  When I dropped the VPN connection everything worked.

Just curious why your wifi would have anything to do with this. WiFi is never used to communicate to your RC or your drone
2020-6-16
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-16 10:50
Just curious why your wifi would have anything to do with this. WiFi is never used to communicate to your RC or your drone

I checked again and it was when I asked to check updates that it didn't work while my VPN was connected.
2020-6-16
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 6-16 13:14
I checked again and it was when I asked to check updates that it didn't work while my VPN was connected.

Ah, that makes sense.
2020-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

K9JDN Posted at 6-16 07:32

Hi there K9JDN. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have given us. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further development. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules