4228 8 2020-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I can't seem to find anything about this in the specs or manual.  Does anybody know the specifics between the Transmission modes on the Air 2.  We have 2 options HD and Smooth. Now I'm guessing HD is the 1080p 30fps feed and if Smooth is like it was on DJI Go 4 this is lower res but higher FPS e.g. 720p 60fps.  I would also be useful to understant the frequncy range and if these differ between modes.  Knowing the above will give is a better idea of the mos stable setting to choose in flight.

Thanks in advance
2020-6-12
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

HD - 1080/30fps, H.264
Smooth - 720p/30fps, H.264.

Mirek
2020-6-12
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mirek L Posted at 6-12 07:08
HD - 1080/30fps, H.264
Smooth - 720p/30fps, H.264.

That doesn't tally with the previous Transmission Mode of the MP1 surely Smooth has a higher fps?

So is sooth more stable over distance given it will have a lower bandwidth requirement at 720p30
2020-6-12
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Andy Uk Posted at 6-12 07:19
That doesn't tally with the previous Transmission Mode of the MP1 surely Smooth has a higher fps?

So is sooth more stable over distance given it will have a lower bandwidth requirement at 720p30

Andy Uk,
Smooth does not mean smoother video as per higher fps. It means less jittery video in case of weak transmission signal.

I provided info which I checked.
It is easy to verify yourself: simply record two clips - one while in HD mode and one while in Smooth mode.
Download these two clips from mobile cache (not SD) to your PC and check their properties.
You will discover that what I said is true.

Smooth mode which has lower reolution with the same fps will have less demand on bandwidth. This means that if you are in Smooth mode you are less likley to experience jittery video in case of signal interference or weak signal.

Mirek
2020-6-12
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mirek L Posted at 6-12 07:32
Andy Uk,
Smooth does not mean smoother video as per higher fps. It means less jittery video in case of weak transmission signal.

Ah ok so you recorded two clips and compared the cached copies on the phone to confirm?
2020-6-12
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mirek L Posted at 6-12 07:32
Andy Uk,

Just a small correction in terminology.  Bandwidth refers to a section of the frequency spectrum.
What you are looking at in the properties is Bitrate.  Larger video size requires a higher bitrate if the quality settings are equal.  As you go out of range the bitrate drops and the image becomes pixelated.
The 720 video is "smoother" because it does not need the high bitrate to look good.
2020-6-12
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Canada

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 6-12 09:03
Just a small correction in terminology.  Bandwidth refers to a section of the frequency spectrum.
What you are looking at in the properties is Bitrate.  Larger video size requires a higher bitrate if the quality settings are equal.  As you go out of range the bitrate drops and the image becomes pixelated.
The 720 video is "smoother" because it does not need the high bitrate to look good.

Yes - I was using the term "bandwidth" in coloqial rather than engineering way.You can use the term to mean a range of carrier frequencies or you could, more coloqially, use it to mean a transmission capacity.

When transmission signal is weak or interference is higher it cannot support the same volume of data - its capacity is dropping (even though range of frequencies may not change). This is why, as you pointed out, stream with lower bitrate will work better.

Mirek

2020-6-12
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mirek L Posted at 6-12 10:06
Yes - I was using the term "bandwidth" in coloqial rather than engineering way.You can use the term to mean a range of carrier frequencies or you could, more coloqially, use it to mean a transmission capacity.

Hey just like to say I'm a retired engineer.  I've lived with precise wording my whole working life.
2020-6-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The live view quality pf Mavic Air 2 supports 720p@30fps and 1080@p30fps, you could select in the Image Transmission Settings. The video transmission encoding format is H.265/H.264, it will auto-switch depending on the encoding capabilities of the device. The lowest bitrate is 40 Mbps, and the highest bitrate is 120 Mbps. Hope this information helps.
2020-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules