3036 9 2020-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicPDX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35774 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just moved from a Mavic Air to a Mavic Air 2 and discoverd that the Air 2 doesn't seem to accept HFS+ (macOS) disk formats, unlike the original Air. It reports a file sytem error. Reformatting the card to ExFAT, however, is fine. This isn't a big deal beyond the fact that ExFAT file transfers on te Mac are a whole lot slower, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Ric
2020-6-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No I haven't noticed it TBH.
2020-6-14
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

HFS+ is a proprietary format, and FAT32 and exFAT are the standard file system adopted by the SD Card organization.

I didn’t know that other DJI products supported HFS+, bit I find that surprising. It requires licensing and to the best of my knowledge it isn’t free.
2020-6-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yeah, I'd really be surprised if the original Mavic Air actually supported HFS+.
2020-6-14
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

I confirm : no hfs+ support on 1st Mavic Air : only fat 32 or exfat.
Mavic air 2 only uses exfat : you cannot choose fat 32 when you format it under DjiFly !

An sd card can get corrupted, it can be repaired in some cases.

Dji does not use the large file capacity of exfat to record videos on the Ma2 : they are split at about 3.7 -  4 gb... Many, many posts on this forum about that !
2020-6-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Ric, the supported file systems of the camera of the Mavic Air 2 are FAT32 and exFAT, please do not format to other formats, thanks for your understanding.
2020-6-15
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

rdsb Posted at 6-14 21:45
I confirm : no hfs+ support on 1st Mavic Air : only fat 32 or exfat.
Mavic air 2 only uses exfat : you cannot choose fat 32 when you format it under DjiFly !

To clarify, You can't format with fat32 on the drone, but you can use an already formatted fat32 card.
2020-6-15
Use props
RicPDX
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-15 03:55
Hi Ric, the supported file systems of the camera of the Mavic Air 2 are FAT32 and exFAT, please do not format to other formats, thanks for your understanding.

Thanks Mindy. It appears that was it. FYI, macOS has a 4GB limit with FAT32, so our only option is exFAT. With my workflow, I usually do my formatting with Disk Utility after unloading the card, and its exFAT formatting works just fine for the Air 2. The files just aren't quite as quick to download as HFS+, but that's pretty trivial.

Ric
2020-6-15
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

RicPDX , Fat 32 is limited to 4 GB, it's not a macos limit !
Your files will be split on your exfat sd card as well, this has been discussed on this forum.
Exfat has no 4gb limit, it's a Dji limit !

JEZ2 , this is what I wrote with my french "English writing capabilities" : you cannot choose fat 32 when you format it under DjiFly !
2020-6-15
Use props
RicPDX
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

rdsb Posted at 6-15 21:55
RicPDX , Fat 32 is limited to 4 GB, it's not a macos limit !
Your files will be split on your exfat sd card as well, this has been discussed on this forum.
Exfat has no 4gb limit, it's a Dji limit !

My apologies. I was getting this confused with the limits macOS has with NTFS. You are entirely correct about FAT32 and the Mac.
2020-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules