Phantom 3 repair/warranty experience
12Next >
7244 72 2015-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

Figured I would provide a start for people who are going through the repair process for the Phantom 3.  I researched several posts on the forums but found nothing necessarily up to date for the Phantom 3.  Here is what my experience is thus far.

May 18th 2015
Reported compass calibration issue that led to irregular flight controlling and subsequent crash.  Had repeated compass calibration issues despite constant re-calibration before every flight per manual.  Several flights about one minute in showed re-calibration required with no electromagnetic interference.  Flights were in the desert over a wash with no power lines, etc.

May 19th 2015
Mailed to California repair facility.

May 20th 2015
Product received according to USPS tracking #

May 26th 2015
Asked if there could be a possibility of expedited processing due to military PCS move.  Request denied.

June 3rd 2015
Notified that Phantom 3 was checked into repair queue.

June 17th 2015
Still no word on status of repair or placement of repair in line.
2015-6-17
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Well, I am surprised that they even denied your request since they state the following:

Once checked in by our Los Angeles facility your unit will be considered an active repair. The ETA for repairs is approximately 6 weeks from the date it is checked in by our facility. On that day you will be emailed. Within that 6 weeks phone or e-mail requests for status updates will not be entertained, as we can only provide you the information you already see when logging into Zendesk and these requests only serve to slow the process for others. Only in the rare event that more than 6 weeks have passed since your unit was checked in, should you call 818-235-0789 for further assistance.
2015-6-17
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

vmp Posted at 2015-6-17 22:53
Well, I am surprised that they even denied your request since they state the following:

Once checke ...

I understand that, thank you for the remark.  I didn't post the comment looking for reasons why they denied or sympathy.  Just included the statement to coincide with the experience I am going through.  Regardless of the canned statement DJI sends.  The statement says status requests and I have read where some instances can be expedited.  I expected denial when I sent the reply, just thought I would include it.  I keep trying to remember that patience is a virtue.
2015-6-17
Use props
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

HMMM. I to had an issue with an order. Seems that when I contacted DJI via IM text when trying to find props for the Phantom 3 when I first ordered it, I requested the information for what props to order for the P3A and was given a link to the 9450s that are for P3V2+ and was told they were the same so I ordered 2 sets (total of 4) and then finding out later they were the wrong ones I contacted DJI Pre sales via IM again to get the run around. I had them look up my history on the IM text and found that they could not disbute that in fact they sent me to the wrong Props for order so they told me to send info to onlinesales@dji.com. I have sent 4 emails with no response and it has been over 4 weeks. I guess Im stuck with 2 sets of Props I will never use and a loss of $50.00.
2015-6-17
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

spcsaw Posted at 2015-6-17 23:20
HMMM. I to had an issue with an order. Seems that when I contacted DJI via IM text when trying to fi ...

Maybe try to get a answer through Zen Desk?   https://djitechnology.zendesk.com  They seem to be fairly quick in the responses I have submitted.
2015-6-17
Use props
KittenSwagger
lvl.2

United States

HMMM. I to had an issue with an order. Seems that when I contacted DJI via IM text when trying to fi ...

If used by a credit card; call the number on the back of your credit card and dispute the charge.

If companies make it nearly impossible to deal with...have Visa/MasterCard deal with them. If they get enough 'infractions' they can have their ability to accept Visa/MasterCard as payment pulled.
2015-6-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

KittenSwagger Posted at 2015-6-18 02:12
If used by a credit card; call the number on the back of your credit card and dispute the charge.

It's already a PITA with many credit card companies to order something direct from DJI. My Capital One "guards" cancelled my order without calling me first. I gave 'em a piece of my mind but couldn't force them to reinstate the order. Their argument is about how much fraud comes out of China, blah, blah, blah, but I knew, in this case, that DJI was a legitimate company. They basically refused to relent.

Knowing I had a credit card number "on file" with Amazon, I went to Amazon and placed a "pre-order." The following day, I saw a note from Amazon about a "change" in order status. Called around and found a dealer in south Florida. They were sold out, but more coming the following week. They took my order and I cancelled my Amazon order. My Phantom arrived the following day (the dealer and I are in the same state).

I used PayPal to order two batteries and two sets of props directly from DJI - PayPal doesn't care the company is in China! I couldn't find *any* provisions for cancelling an order. They hit my PayPal up almost immediately (5/19) and now, a couple days short of a month, there's still nothing to indicate (not even a hint) shipping.

If I can get my money back via PayPal (set up a dispute today) I'll go back to the dealer here I bought my Phantom. Frustrating. Four batteries generates a lot more flying time than two!

2015-6-17
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 09:37
It's already a PITA with many credit card companies to order something direct from DJI. My Capital  ...

OMG thats awful you had to go thru this, i ordered mine with 4 batteries and the whole transaction took 5 days for it to arrive to my door step direct from DJI.
2015-6-17
Use props
emptymind
lvl.2

United States

I flew a test flight for my Phantom for the first time this week - just hovering at 20 feet. The horizon is severely tilted and I reported this to DJI who wish me to return this for repairs. The Phantom is new and flown once for less than 5 mins so I am asking for a replacement. I cannot wait for repairs as I bought this for a documentary project in three weeks.
Normally on a brand new item, it should be replaced not repaired if it is defective out of the box. What are my chances anyone?
2015-6-18
Use props
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

Wow. So far I guess im lucky (knock on wood). What gets me is that everyone who pre-ordered with an extra battery went to the back of the list. Why you might ask. Well we all guessed it was so they could fill the order in full but that was not the case. I pre-ordered Apr16th and received my P3A around Mid May and did not receive my battery till last week. Kept texting them requesting the battery to be shipped asap as I had a trip to Lake Powell and needed the extra battery for my trip. Kept being told not to worry that I would be received in time for my trip and guess what? Did not receive it till after I got back. Yep I do love my P3A but not too impressed on how DJI is with their customer support. This is the 2nd issue I had with them so far (listed above was my first issue with DJI which cost me $50.00).
2015-6-18
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-18
Use props
flyfi
New

United States

amazon + paypal = 30 day return policy. no matter the condition. no RMA's. no five hour phone calls. no emails. no chat rooms. pack it up and send it back. 30 days!
2015-6-18
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

IF you are having a horizon tilt when you Yaw the craft it is because the IMU is not in the right position on the side of the camera holder. So you can do 6 point calibrations all day and still you will have the tilt on the horizon.Follow these steps to fix this problem.

1. If you have tried adjusting parameters on the GUI reinstall a new profile.
2. Perform a gyro and accelerometer calibration.
3. Look at the IMU and verify that is in a near perfect vertical position (when holding the gimbal straight and level) If not fold a piece of paper or something to wedge the IMU board to a vertical position.
4. Perform a 6 point calibration. And test fly and verify If the horizon is straight and level while you yaw.
5. Now use some hot glue and carefully apply 2 small daps on top and rear side of the IMU board to secure that position allow to cool and harden (careful not to put too much)
6 perform another 6 point calibration, And verify level horizon.

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -horizon-fix.11188/
2015-6-18
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone received anything from CA recently?  If so, how long ago did you send it there?  I'm getting nervous, getting ready to move and all.  I have no forwarding address to give them.
2015-6-21
Use props
applelinux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 505 ft

United States

hemi2020 Posted at 2015-6-21 22:12
Has anyone received anything from CA recently?  If so, how long ago did you send it there?  I'm gett ...

Just mailed out my crashed P3A last week. Some compass calibration and GPS interference caused the fly-away crash. The package should arrived 6/23/2015 according to UPS tracking.  Will update on the progress. From what I read in the forum, it looks like it will take at least 6 weeks for the whole process to be completed.
2015-6-22
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132920 ft
United States

Any update hemi2020? I'm in the same boat.
2015-6-23
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Hey Guys!- Bad news I'm affraid.

Speaking from experience with an I-1, (cancelled my P3 order after the experience) you won't see anything about your unit being shipped back to you until the status changes from "Checked In" to "Repairs Complete." (Said process will run the full length of the time specified, unfortunately.) After that, you'll get an quick email along the lines of, "Your Blah, Blah was repaired...we replaced this...yadda, yadda, yadda." Once all that is done, expect the unit back about a week after you receive the email. Even after I sent a typed RMA showing my new address (on the second go round due to failed first attempts to fix) they still sent it to my old address and cost me a 2-1/2 round trip and MUCH more.
Make sure to keep them updated on ANY change of address, via the ZENDESK.

There are TONS of reports, contained within the electronic walls of this forum to see and understand what I am referring to.

Sorry you guys have gotten a bitter taste of what DJI feels about customer service. Right now, it's even been said by the forum moderator, DJI feels- "...you are on a need to know basis..."

Humbly,
Sky Ninja

2015-6-24
Use props
applelinux
lvl.1

United States

Just got checked in........

Congratulations! This is the first step in the repair process once we received your product. Next, your unit will be documented in our Repair Software, which the repair technicians use to track their work. Once that process is done, your product will be placed in line with other repairs, and continually move up until a repair technician services it at a work bench.

Our estimated time of repair is 5-6 weeks from the date of check-in. If you do not receive an email update from the repair team by the 6th week, please call our support team at 818-235-0789, Monday - Friday, 9-5 PST.
2015-6-24
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

Wow yours was checked in quick. Mine arrived on may 27th and it was checked in on June 8th.
2015-6-24
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

mdeluna910 Posted at 2015-6-25 01:33
Wow yours was checked in quick. Mine arrived on may 27th and it was checked in on June 8th.

That's odd it has been taking so long for you guys. Mine was delivered may 19th, a Saturday so no one was working and was checked in two days later on Monday.
2015-6-24
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

No further updates as of now.  Just sent a reply though asking if I could get an idea of where it is in the queue.  
2015-6-24
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

Be sure to post when it's repaired. Mine should be right behind yours.
2015-6-24
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

Will do, the wait is driving me nuts.  
2015-6-24
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

I feel ya.
2015-6-25
Use props
applelinux
lvl.1

United States

guys, check this out: http://forum.dji.com/thread-22666-1-1.html
2015-6-25
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

Before you get your hopes up, realize he is from Canada and most likely dealt with the repair center out there, not the one in LA that all our birds have been sitting collecting dust at.
2015-6-26
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

And a majority of us have already waited past the time frame it took for him to get it back.
2015-6-26
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

You are on your sixth week now hemi, right?
2015-7-1
Use props
newact1
Second Officer

Canada

how much does it cost to repair?
2015-7-1
Use props
mdeluna910
lvl.1
United States

Depends if it's under warranty.  
2015-7-2
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

Close to the sixth week, it says 6weeks from check in and it sat there for a couple weeks before they even checked it in.
2015-7-2
Use props
Wink of an Eye
lvl.2

United States

Humm 9450 props are wrong for the P3?  why the hell is mine still flying with 50's on it? Why after it was stated in the forum that these are the replacement?    what is the requirement?
2015-7-2
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202156 ft
United States

Mine was in the repair center for the last 6 weeks, yesterday I received my tracking info and I should have my P3P by Wednesday.  The mini sd card was broke on mine.  
2015-7-2
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

What are people's average costs of repairs and what was the problem? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.
2015-7-3
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

joeglenn@zombie Posted at 2015-7-3 09:46
Mine was in the repair center for the last 6 weeks, yesterday I received my tracking info and I shou ...

Do you mean to tell me you sent your P3 in for a broken SD card?...
2015-7-3
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

4 weeks today after check in, going to have to figure out a forwarding address to have them send it to me
2015-7-3
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-7-4 07:32
Do you mean to tell me you sent your P3 in for a broken SD card?...

NO the card reader would not hold the sd card in place.

2015-7-4
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Hemi, this is par for the course with DJI.      My inspire had a burn out after three days of ownership.   I sent it back for refund.  It's been over three weeks and no refund.  Their concentration is on cutting edge technology.  Not the customer.  Sorry for your experiences.   I hate to say it, but welcome to the club.  It's the fine print with owning a DJI product.  You can't see it until you need customer support.  
2015-7-4
Use props
joeglenn
lvl.2
United States

OH I agree the customer service is terrible.
2015-7-4
Use props
hemi2020
lvl.1

United States

What sucks is that my phantom 3 is so freaking cool and it's a blast to mess around with.  If this process was truly looked at, the company would probably take over the world.  I remember when I got my first ring of death with the first Xbox 360 and the turn around for that was bad...but not this bad!  You would think when you invest so much money into a product that the service would be exponentially better with the amount spent.  I would be destroyed if I had an inspire in for service.
2015-7-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules