Does dji have a serial number lock for lost or stolen drones?
12Next >
23496 57 2020-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZmaroSobrinho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7058809 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

If I lose my drone (or if they steal) and someone else finds it and binds it on in a new control.
Is there a procedure at dji to warn or block or inform me that it is a stolen or lost drone, when it logs into the dji app?

2020-6-18
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I am not sure but I think once it is activated it is too late, at least that's what I think. People don't have to be logged into their account to fly the drone. I don't log in because I am in airplane mode so no network. So they could just probably install the application, create a fake account and go fly? I hope someone from DJI give you more precision because I would like to know as well. In my country, it is a requirement to register a drone but only those that weight more than 250G, so I did not register the Mini but I put a sticker on it with my name etc..just in case.
2020-6-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it is practical as long as there is a market for selling used drones.  does dji only flag a serial number which contains a police report?  if you buy a used drone, is there a way to check to see if the serial number is flagged before you buy it?
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ZmaroSobrinho. I am sorry to read and to know that you have lost your DJI Drone. Since this issue happened and if the said DJI drone is stolen it would be best to report this issue to your local authorities of the theft that had happened, and allow the police to run on their investigation of this incident. In addition, regretfully, we are unable to block your stolen aircraft. Tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Go 4 App. Hoping we could do more for you, we apologize. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.
2020-6-19
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

DJI can only block the serial numbers of items not yet activated, once activated they cant block them.
2020-6-19
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

Very interesting...I guess DJI is welcoming new users with stolen drones.....but again I am sorry to hear about your lost drone.
2020-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DeafMacBoi Posted at 6-20 16:47
Very interesting...I guess DJI is welcoming new users with stolen drones.....but again I am sorry to hear about your lost drone.

You really seem to want to put down DJI at every opportunity. STFU.
2020-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

crash1sttime Posted at 6-19 03:21
DJI can only block the serial numbers of items not yet activated, once activated they cant block them.

And they can't do that either.
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 6-20 17:32
You really seem to want to put down DJI at every opportunity. STFU.

What is STFU?
2020-6-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You'll have to invent the technology to help DJI.
If you found/stole a drone, there's no way DJI would ever know you were flying it, just like DJI can't tell when you are flying your own drone.
2020-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It means "Shut The **** Up"
2020-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

He did not say he lost it. He asked about IF he lost it.
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-20 18:51
It means "Shut The **** Up"

I don't get it what is ****???
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-20 18:55
He did not say he lost it. He asked about IF he lost it.

Yes I was reading what other said....
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3

United States

Labroides Posted at 6-20 18:44
You'll have to invent the technology to help DJI.
If you found/stole a drone, there's no way DJI would ever know you were flying it, just like DJI can't tell when you are flying your own drone.

DJI is in China? I thought DJI is too smart to invent many good technology than U.S.
2020-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DeafMacBoi Posted at 6-20 19:28
I don't get it what is ****???

Per the Merriam-Webster dictionary      **** : usually obscene : an act of copulation

You can figure it out.

2020-6-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not that I know of but think that would be a useful suggestion and helpful feature to have accounted for as there really should be this kind of loss prevention built in.
2020-6-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 6-20 21:12
Not that I know of but think that would be a useful suggestion and helpful feature to have accounted for as there really should be this kind of loss prevention built in.

there really should be this kind of loss prevention built in
So how would you get that to work?
Your drone and R/C have a transmission distance of only a few miles.
How is DJI going to be able to tell when any drone is flying and communicate with it?
2020-6-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-20 22:01
there really should be this kind of loss prevention built in
So how would you get that to work?
Your drone and R/C have a transmission distance of only a few miles.

I would understand any WiFi device has the ability to transmit anywhere once it's connected, so why wouldn't that be consistent with a DJI drone? If the drone is reported missing or stolen, why then DJI could possibly connect to and with that WiFi device once its connected then send out a fail safe feature to detect and disarm whatever signal, from where ever that device is located once it's connected? Such a device can not only be found on smart phones but in the form of a drone?
2020-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 6-24 18:19
I would understand any WiFi device has the ability to transmit anywhere once it's connected, so why wouldn't that be consistent with a DJI drone? If the drone is reported missing or stolen, why then DJI could possibly connect to and with that WiFi device once its connected then send out a fail safe feature to detect and disarm whatever signal, from where ever that device is located once it's connected? Such a device can not only be found on smart phones but in the form of a drone?

I would understand any WiFi device has the ability to transmit anywhere once it's connected.
C'mon ... it's not rocket science.
You aren't familiar with the concept of range?
How far does your R/C controller transmit?
How far away can you receive signal from your drone?

Despite the complete ignorance of basic scientific concepts of some members here, DJI has no way to tell when or where any of you are flying.
DJI still has to comply with the laws of physics.
2020-6-24
Use props
Floki Chan AKA. EZpawn
lvl.3

Greece

I think the fly safe updates should be forced(through dji app without having to update it manually). And if the stolen drones serial is to be approved(lets say the local enforcement authority/courts etc), the flysafe database should assign the whole gps area(in this case the world) a NFZ. This would be a good way to get infront of the stolen drone business. Not a "total block" since you can also force the drone without the app manually,  but definately a way for it to be not used "as if it was your own drone".
Buut I can also see its too much hassle for a little amount of gain. Since their selling point is not "a drone that will never get stolen" I hardly find it prone to be implemented in the near future.
2020-6-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

To be honest I would prefer an option to REMOTELY LOCK my drone and ERASE any log and the microSD card the next time the S/N specified is RC connected again without anybody else's intervention.

Blocking an AC based on S/N might be a feature not baked into the firmware but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why DJI doesn't want to track down a drone for which I have the PROOF OF PURCHASE entitled to myself. Why ? You have the rights to collect all of my data (otherwise you don't provide basic services like mapping) and I can't know if my lost or stolen Aircraft has ever flown again.
2020-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 6-25 07:43
To be honest I would prefer an option to REMOTELY LOCK my drone and ERASE any log and the microSD card the next time the S/N specified is RC connected again without anybody else's intervention.

Blocking an AC based on S/N might be a feature not baked into the firmware but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why DJI doesn't want to track down a drone for which I have the PROOF OF PURCHASE entitled to myself. Why ? You have the rights to collect all of my data (otherwise you don't provide basic services like mapping) and I can't know if my lost or stolen Aircraft has ever flown again.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why DJI doesn't want to track down a drone for which I have the PROOF OF PURCHASE entitled to myself.
Is that something the manufacturers of your other possessions do for you?

Why ? You have the rights to collect all of my data (otherwise you don't provide basic services like mapping)

1.  DJI does not collect all of your data.
Where did you get the idea that they do?
2.  Mapping?  How is that relevant?

and I can't know if my lost or stolen Aircraft has ever flown again.

But you think that DJI can?
2020-6-25
Use props
fans69e937dd
Second Officer
Italy

Labroides Posted at 6-25 15:17
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why DJI doesn't want to track down a drone for which I have the PROOF OF PURCHASE entitled to myself.  

Yes, both Windows and Android offer remote lockout (and date wipe out) in my devices potentially containing sensitive data.

Why ? You have the rights to collect all of my data (otherwise you don't provide basic services like mapping)

1.  DJI does not collect all of your data.
Where did you get the idea that they do?
2.  Mapping?  How is that relevant?

Mapping is relevant for flying based on features and should orientation or technical problems arise, you can blindly navigate using the map. It still works without tile data but is most useful when tile data is present.
DJI Fly app usally collects: Aircraft Info and GPS data, Mobile Device GPS data. If you want to collect statistics all of your flight logs.

and I can't know if my lost or stolen Aircraft has ever flown again.

But you think that DJI can?

Yes, to re-activate the device for usage with another RC the DJI Device Hardware Info needs to be on, this will include the Aircraft serial number, the gimbal, camera and battery.

2020-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans69e937dd Posted at 6-25 16:00
Yes, both Windows and Android offer remote lockout (and date wipe out) in my devices potentially containing sensitive data.

I know it's complicated but think of it this way .. phones and tablets connect to the internet from time to time, your drone doesn't.
Do the manufacturers of any of your non-internet possessions want to track your lost or stolen possessions for you?
How about your car manufacturer?

Mapping is relevant for flying based on features and should orientation or technical problems arise, you can blindly navigate using the map. It still works without tile data but is most useful when tile data is present.
????   Sorry, I can't understand what that has to do with anything, let alone this discussion.

DJI Fly app usally collects: Aircraft Info and GPS data, Mobile Device GPS data. If you want to collect statistics all of your flight logs.
In case you haven't noticed, the Fly app isn't DJI.
**Newsflash**
DJI doesn't collect your data, they don't get to see your data unless you choose to upload it to their servers.

Yes, to re-activate the device for usage with another RC the DJI Device Hardware Info needs to be on, this will include the Aircraft serial number, the gimbal, camera and battery.
FYI .. once any DJI drone has been activated, you can fly it with your device and DJI would never know.

If DJI don't know when any of their drones are flying, how do you expect them to be able to fulfil any of your feeble fantasies?

2020-6-25
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Labroides Posted at 6-25 23:48
I know it's complicated but think of it this way .. phones and tablets connect to the internet from time to time, your drone doesn't.
Do the manufacturers of any of your non-internet possessions want to track your lost or stolen possessions for you?

It's the user that has the power to track down his belonging, having the legal rights to do so being supported by the manufacturer.

Fly app normally reports to DJI's servers your Aircraft and Mobile Device position every time you use the app online (and possibly even after an offline flight, as there is a certain amount of activity even when the Product improvement option and Auto-synch flights functions are OFF).

Once the drone has been reactivated the hardware ID has been logged, this already enables to approximately track where the latest activation has been done (even when fake credential are used) and under normal circumstances find every home point used for every flight where the app was online (and possibly even when offline, without synching the flight logs).

Privacy checking among others is one of my strongholds. DJI app has its privacy breaches that most people don't seem to realize. I haven't tested with positioning (GPS, location) disabled but, based on experiece acquired in years I am quite doubtful that it would spare you from being tracked. I was among the very first to discover 15 years ago or so that no history in Google really meant no history for you but not for everybody else as the app was still collecting that data.
2020-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 6-26 02:54
It's the user that has the power to track down his belonging, having the legal rights to do so being supported by the manufacturer.

Fly app normally reports to DJI's servers your Aircraft and Mobile Device position every time you use the app online (and possibly even after an offline flight, as there is a certain amount of activity even when the Product improvement option and Auto-synch flights functions are OFF).

DJI is not Big Brother watching your every move.
How is DJI ever going to see my flight records unless I choose to share them with DJI?

Once the drone has been reactivated the hardware ID has been logged, this already enables to approximately track where the latest activation has been done (even when fake credential are used).
The drone only ever has one activation.
There is no reactivation.
If you buy a secondhand drone, you just switch it on and fly with no need to reactivate it at all and definitely no need for fake credentials.

and under normal circumstances find every home point used for every flight where the app was online (and possibly even when offline, without synching the flight logs).
We still haven't worked out how my flight data, gets to DJI so they can see all these things???

Privacy checking among others is one of my strongholds.
Along with fairy tales, it seems.

2020-6-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it's a bad, bad idea and I hope no manufacturer ever attempts to implement this "feature."
2020-6-26
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Labroides Posted at 6-26 05:23
Fly app normally reports to DJI's servers your Aircraft and Mobile Device position every time you use the app online (and possibly even after an offline flight, as there is a certain amount of activity even when the Product improvement option and Auto-synch flights functions are OFF).
DJI is not Big Brother watching your every move.
How is DJI ever going to see my flight records unless I choose to share them with DJI?

What I really wanted to say was PAIRING or LINKING. Anyway... looking the Fly app Privacy settings nothing is mentioned about it.

In any case I am extremely doubtful something so important is not monitored by DJI.
2020-6-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 6-26 12:59
What I really wanted to say was PAIRING or LINKING. Anyway... looking the Fly app Privacy settings nothing is mentioned about it.

In any case I am extremely doubtful something so important is not monitored by DJI.

How can they?
What range does your controller transmit?
What range does your Mavic transmit?

And what's so important about your flight data that DJI should or would want to be monitoring it?

2020-6-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-24 20:43
I would understand any WiFi device has the ability to transmit anywhere once it's connected.
C'mon ... it's not rocket science.
You aren't familiar with the concept of range?

I think it's mired in red tape than it is in form of the technology, because it essentially would be tied to your phone transmitting your drone's identifiable information data, and that would be transmitted over over cellular connectivity rather than over the drone's WiFi? Of course there's a limit to the drone's transmission capability but if your phone's cellular connects simultaneously while it's connected to your drone then there's theoretically a hub-and-spoke teleconnectivity model to transmit drone identity details back to the manufacturer?
2020-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 6-28 18:41
I think it's mired in red tape than it is in form of the technology, because it essentially would be tied to your phone transmitting your drone's identifiable information data, and that would be transmitted over over cellular connectivity rather than over the drone's WiFi? Of course there's a limit to the drone's transmission capability but if your phone's cellular connects simultaneously while it's connected to your drone then there's theoretically a hub-and-spoke teleconnectivity model to transmit drone identity details back to the manufacturer?

You've invented a hypothetical system that does not exist and DJI does not use.
Now all you have to do is convince DJI to employ that system and things will work as you imagine.
Of course it still wouldn't work if someone was flying with a wifi only device, without wifi internet connection or a phone but away from mobile signal.
Or if the hypothetical drone thief switched off wifi/phone connection..

Meanwhile, back in the real world ....

2020-6-28
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-28 18:49
You've invented a hypothetical system that does not exist and DJI does not use.
Now all you have to do is convince DJI to employ that system and things will work as you imagine.
Of course it still wouldn't work if someone was flying with a wifi only device without wifi internet connection or a phone but away from mobile signal.

understandable
2020-7-22
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

I may be saying something stupid, but the Dji Fly app has the function of locating my drone. If your drone is stolen you have tjrs the ability to see where it is via the app right ?
2020-7-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

VanzPix Posted at 7-22 17:34
I may be saying something stupid, but the Dji Fly app has the function of locating my drone. If your drone is stolen you have tjrs the ability to see where it is via the app right ?

Only as long as it is switched on and the battery lasts., and you are within range of the aircraft.
2020-7-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

VanzPix Posted at 7-22 17:34

If your drone is stolen you have the the ability to see where it is via the app right ?
Wrong.
Find My Drone can only display the last location that the app recorded for the drone.
If your phone/tablet is stolen with the drone, there's no way you can see that.
If your phone/tablet wasn't stolen with the drone, then your app has no idea what the drone has done since you lost it.

2020-7-22
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
France

Labroides Posted at 7-22 21:53
If your drone is stolen you have the the ability to see where it is via the app right ?
Wrong.
Find My Drone can only display the last location that the app recorded for the drone.

okay I thought it was possible but I was wrong ;)
But I wonder in the dji database if for example the thief records a second time the drone with another email address on the site (some thieves are pretty stupid) would not be able to dji spot that the same drone was recorded twice with a different email address ?
2020-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

VanzPix Posted at 7-23 01:32
okay I thought it was possible but I was wrong ;)
But I wonder in the dji database if for example the thief records a second time the drone with another email address on the site (some thieves are pretty stupid) would not be able to dji spot that the same drone was recorded twice with a different email address ?

would not be able to dji spot that the same drone was recorded twice with a different email address ?
There's no need for anyone to re-register a used drone with DJI.
If you've ever bought a secondhand DJI drone, you'd have found that once a DJI drone has been activated, anyone can fly it, any time.
2020-7-23
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
France

Labroides Posted at 7-23 02:16
would not be able to dji spot that the same drone was recorded twice with a different email address ?
There's no need for anyone to re-register a used drone with DJI.
If you've ever bought a secondhand DJI drone, you'd have found that once a DJI drone has been activated, anyone can fly it, any time.

it's my first drone and I didn't buy used so I didn't know. thank you for your answers.
2020-7-23
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

I think it's safe to say that if you lost a drone, it's lost and DJI won't help you get it back. Why would they, they know you'll be buying another one
No other drone I know of (in these price ranges at least - not the super expensive out of our reach government or military drones) have the ability to be located by the manufacturer if lost.
Like Labroides said, if the drone is flown without a mobile phone, no flight data is recorded (obviously - no phone to record the flight log). And since the RC doesn't need internet connection to fly the drone, anyone who found (or has stolen) the drone just needs to relink another RC to the drone and he can use it. Even connected to a phone it doesn't mean flight data is sent to DJI servers, but is saved locally on the phone.
I have bought used drones and never needed to re-activate. But it shows up in MY flight log. So even if someone else uses a stolen drone without knowing it will appear in their log, their account and not in the original owner's account. I have also sold a few Mini's and haven't seen any new flight paths ever since I last used them.

Crap, didn't realize this topic is a year old.....
2021-5-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules