Notes / Inquiry regarding Sony Xperia Z3
1019 4 2015-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wiregrassbulldo
lvl.1

United States

Greetings-

I am new to the forums and DJI. I wish to get feedback as well as relate my experience using a Z3 droid phone.  I see alot of folks with stuttering video problems and latercy while using the DJI pilot app.  The phone appears very robust in keeping up so far here.  It's a pretty beefy processor and gives a certain level of control (thru Sony pre-installed tweak app) as to what runs in the background.  I had one slight problem at the onset with getting the Pilot app installed.  When scanning the QR code to arrive at the active install, I was met with a pop-up saying I needed at least Android 4 or better.  Knowing the phone had 4.4.4, I circumvented that by downloading the .APK file on the PC, transferred install APK to phone SD card, installed it from the card without issue.

I have had nothing but a good experience so far, loving every minute of time spent with my new bird and am looking forward to what lies ahead particularly as I get more knowledgable.

Understandable, there's a lot going on with streaming video and controls with the phone, and the processing is a bit of a hog.  This leaves me with a question.  I get a nuisance pop-up which indicates the phone is charging (connected to the transmitter) but at less than the rate at which it discharging and to connect to the charger which came with the phone.  This can be turned off (via checkbox > don't show me again) which is fine.  I have near a full charge before flying anyway.  I also get that when pluging the phone into any computer/laptop USB as well, indicating it is charging at >2 amps.  Is there something I am missing about a charge rate setting on the contoller or it some hardware/firmware limit.  It would be nice to bump that a little.   It's a small thing, but would be notable if phone was used much before going out.

- Regards

2015-6-17
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

No, my tablet does that too, if I plug it into a USB 3.0 port on my computer it charges fine, but won't charge off a USB 2.0. USB 2.0 can only provide 700 ma max to the port and USB 3.0 ports can supply 2 amps or more..  It's part of the specification..  I don't know why DJI couldn't make it charge the device but it does get some power so it still discharges slower than it would with no power being fed to it
2015-6-17
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I have no issues with the Sony Z2 either
2015-6-17
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I don't have issues either besides the p3 controller doesn't charge a anything requiring a couple hundred ma,  total you would have the first device that light bridge actually charges..  I promise if you write down your battery percent before you fly and then fly a battery thru your p3 and look at your battery level your going to see it went down..  It gives some power so it slows down the discharging progress but it still discharges cuz lightbridge can't supply more than 200 ma from its USB port
2015-6-17
Use props
wiregrassbulldo
lvl.1

United States

Thanks guys.  Good to know.  Agreed the phone discharges less than it would without those 200 MA tethered.   I went for awhile tonight and just disabled the junk notice.  Just a thing to include in pre-flight, making sure the phone is topped off enough.

@Total.  Cool. I can't find any issue after 1.2.6 firmware update to boot.

Happy trails mates.
2015-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules