1775 12 2020-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I am really happy with my Osmo Action, and have been thinking about buying a second one.
But I'm waiting if there will be a new camera out soon/this year?

What I want added if there will be a new one is:

Larger FOV (field of view)
A bit higher bitrate in 4K if possible (I know 100 Mbits is really high/high enough)

Better connection, now your phone need to be really close

Possible to change Aperture (don't need ND-filter then) and probably not a easy thing to add (will also give defraction if stopped down too much)

And if you want a beta-tester, as a photographer I can handle the job.

2020-6-19
Use props
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Better Audio & wind noise reduction I'd add to the wider field of view wish
2020-6-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there johansenfoto. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your positive feedback for the DJI Osmo Action. With regards DJI future products. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future products. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-6-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-22 02:44
Hello there johansenfoto. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your positive feedback for the DJI Osmo Action. With regards DJI future products. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future products. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.

Thank you for your answer.
2020-6-26
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Real 4K with stabilization and H.265 would be top of my list...
2020-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

johansenfoto Posted at 6-26 09:16
Thank you for your answer.

Hi there johansenfoto. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to assist you.
2020-6-29
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>
United States

Microphone adapter would be a plus.
2020-6-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CemAygun Posted at 6-26 13:03
Real 4K with stabilization and H.265 would be top of my list...

Are you sure it doesn't have native 4K? I think I need to do a test with my DSLR for comparison.

H.265 would be great, but would require more cpu-power.
2020-6-30
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

johansenfoto Posted at 6-30 03:32
Are you sure it doesn't have native 4K? I think I need to do a test with my DSLR for comparison.

H.265 would be great, but would require more cpu-power.

Yep, unfortunately it does not. The sensor is almost at the limit (horizontally) of 4K resolution with a full readout. Among other things, rocksteady crops in so much, whatever "real" resolution left is barely 2.7K.

Actually someone did the testing based on FOV crop, it is in one of the threads here...
2020-6-30
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CemAygun Posted at 6-30 23:57
Yep, unfortunately it does not. The sensor is almost at the limit (horizontally) of 4K resolution with a full readout. Among other things, rocksteady crops in so much, whatever "real" resolution left is barely 2.7K.

Actually someone did the testing based on FOV crop, it is in one of the threads here...

I read that post.
Fov change during RS and dewarp, but it is still 4K and not upscaled from 2.7K.
I did take a test now with a 4K file and exported it in both 4K and 2.7K, and I could see a difference.

So it is 4K, but it will never same 4K as high end cameras have.
2020-7-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I love to hear from a Sales market Rep, they had their Shows, and the least  a Mod or admin can do is get back with a response that there is a future for the OA then hear dead Silence , especially in the weeks to come.  Communication is  not what DJI is about on new products. I guess.  Is there going to be a  new camera, is it going to be called the action II. I think  if it did well they do another soon?
2020-7-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

johansenfoto Posted at 7-1 01:03
I read that post.
Fov change during RS and dewarp, but it is still 4K and not upscaled from 2.7K.
I did take a test now with a 4K file and exported it in both 4K and 2.7K, and I could see a difference.

Can you please explain how a sensor that can record a maximum of 4000 pixels horizontally throws out about %30 of those and yet, still have 3840 pixels left?

PS: The difference you are seeing is probably because of the upscaling algorithm or the fact that whatever resolution left is not exactly 2.7K.

PS2: OA has no moving parts, it can't even focus. So it can not change FOV and keep utilizing the full sensor (like camera with a zoom lens). If you are seeing a smaller FOV, that means a smaller portion of the sensor readout (ergo a smaller corresponding resolution) is being used. This would not have been such a problem if, for instance, it had a 16MP (4:3) sensor; as the same amount of crop RS uses would have left behind something pretty close to 4K.

2020-7-1
Use props
oeympe
lvl.1

Switzerland

Fishycomics Posted at 7-1 02:29
I love to hear from a Sales market Rep, they had their Shows, and the least  a Mod or admin can do is get back with a response that there is a future for the OA then hear dead Silence , especially in the weeks to come.  Communication is  not what DJI is about on new products. I guess.  Is there going to be a  new camera, is it going to be called the action II. I think  if it did well they do another soon?

I would love hearing that too, but I don't think they are going to launch a new Osmo Action before the GoPro Hero 9 releasing date (probably early october).
I think that DJI will continue to update their action cam until spring and release something close to May 2021. Their is still room for improvements on the Osmo Action such as asking Potato Jet in his latest YouTube video on this camera. But sure, it depends on your use of this action cam.
2020-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules