Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I get a Mini?
12Next >
2508 44 2020-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fidge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41512 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been interested in Drones for a number of years. I've had a couple of 'toy' drones, but never been able to fly them with any great success. The real Drones have always been way out of my price rainge. The Mini however is now looking like a viable option although still expensive, to me, it appears to tick most ov the boxes.
Is the Mini as easy to control as you guys make it look?  Is it good for a noobie?
2020-6-20
Use props
Dji phil
New
United Kingdom

Hi fidge.same as you i love messing around with toy drones so in lock down decided to get the mavic mini.oh my god this is out of the league of toy drones.i love it so much i have passed my caa license and am debating the mavic air 2.hope that helps
2020-6-20
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It’s a great drone. The picture and video quality are excellent. Very easy to fly with some good failsafe features also. Highly recommend.
2020-6-20
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It's a nice little camera-drone... if you need more of a hobbyist drone to just fly you can spare yourself a bunch of money.

If you travel with a backpack or simply like the convenience of a tiny drone the Mini is the right tool for you, it's tame as a pet and has a very good quality camera, which is the ultimate goal of the Mini: observe and capture views.
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

I am not sure about Mavic Mini for starter but I think Spark looks awesome from what I saw some beautiful photos.
2020-6-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go for it. Much easier to fly than those toy drones.
2020-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my limited experience, I think it is extremely easy to fly. It will just hover perfectly in place until you tell it where to go and how fast.

2020-6-20
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

After a few months you'll probably want to upgrade, for me the mini is not that capable
Due to it's diminutive weight it doesn't have enough power for anything but calm flying days

2020-6-20
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

One of the best videos on why you should get a Mini.

the choice is yours!
2020-6-20
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
United States

lannes Posted at 6-20 18:40
After a few months you'll probably want to upgrade, for me the mini is not that capable
Due to it's diminutive weight it doesn't have enough power for anything but calm flying days

… admittedly I now have the Air2,  but my Mini has no dust on it!  My Mini can take wind as long as I fly it responsibly and understand it's limits.  Any aircraft has an operational envelope.
2020-6-20
Use props
AerialFusion
lvl.1
Canada

Quick answer , YES

2020-6-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shortly after receiving my new MA2, I flew it and my Mini out over the river to compare them. The Mini was slower of course, but I did notice the flights were very similar, both had good video and capability. The only difference was when I took the Mini around a sheltered area that exposed it to higher winds. It gave an error of such but did not fail. The MA2 just barreled though it without any complaints...and did it much faster.
2020-6-20
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 6-20 20:49
Shortly after receiving my new MA2, I flew it and my Mini out over the river to compare them. The Mini was slower of course, but I did notice the flights were very similar, both had good video and capability. The only difference was when I took the Mini around a sheltered area that exposed it to higher winds. It gave an error of such but did not fail. The MA2 just barreled though it without any complaints...and did it much faster.

Yes, it's a good beginner drone, but one must understand the limitation for the wind. It is always best to start going against the wind, and finish coming back in the same direction of the wind or in at least not against it. If someone is starting, and the risk of loosing the drone is greater, than it is best to start with a cheaper drone and loose that instead of a 1000$ drone. it is best to learn from mistakes with a cheaper drone.
2020-6-21
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 6-21 07:22
Yes, it's a good beginner drone, but one must understand the limitation for the wind. It is always best to start going against the wind, and finish coming back in the same direction of the wind or in at least not against it. If someone is starting, and the risk of loosing the drone is greater, than it is best to start with a cheaper drone and loose that instead of a 1000$ drone. it is best to learn from mistakes with a cheaper drone.

You are preaching to the choir ;-)
2020-6-21
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well thank you everyone for your responses. I have just ordered one and I'm looking forward to my first flight with it.
2020-6-21
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
United States

Fidge Posted at 6-21 12:40
Well thank you everyone for your responses. I have just ordered one and I'm looking forward to my first flight with it.

2020-6-21
Use props
Grumpy Monk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 245663 ft
United Kingdom

Well done on your new purchase!

The Mavic Mini is in a whole new league compared to the toy drones imo
2020-6-21
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

I started with a fader Drone I got free thru Marlboro .com. I bought a mini and truly enjoy flying so enjoy your new Mini you will love it, and ask anything you want to know about it here, There's a lot of great knowledgeable people here that will help you! So Enjoy!!!
2020-6-21
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

It is really just a decision of how much you want to spend. I think most here, including myself, would say that the Mini has earned its spot in DJI's lineup. I have been very happy and impressed with how it flies like a big drone. I am assuming that everyone buys the combo kit versions (why wouldn't you) so the decision is pretty easy now...

Mavic Mini - $500
Mavic 2 Air - $1000
Mavic Pro 2 - $1800

Each level up has its advantages. While the Mavic Mini will give you the flying experience of the bigger drones, decent range (in the U.S. at least) and very nice video, it lacks some of their features, such as tracking. I went with the mini to test the waters and to be honest, it's all the drone I'll need. It is easy to fly and stable (in calm weather) and I can explore and take great videos over land or water (stay high). If I was more into a lot of different shots, tracking and cinematography, then I would have went with the Mavic 2 Air for sure, at least. I think the Mavic Pro 2 is the strongest flyer of the three (although, I think the phantom is even stronger, but I might be wrong).
2020-6-21
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Deucalion Posted at 6-21 16:38
It is really just a decision of how much you want to spend. I think most here, including myself, would say that the Mini has earned its spot in DJI's lineup. I have been very happy and impressed with how it flies like a big drone. I am assuming that everyone buys the combo kit versions (why wouldn't you) so the decision is pretty easy now...

Mavic Mini - $500

In Canada it's even less of a contest. Anything but the Mini is really expensive.

Mavic Mini 650$
Mavic Air2 1350$
Mavic2 Pro 2377$
2020-6-21
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Deucalion Posted at 6-21 16:38

Mavic Mini - $500

That's exactly it, I couldn't justify almost £1000 on something that, realistically, I might only use a few times a year, (based on past experience) but £500 is doable, just.

I went for the Combo, of course. Got to have somewhere to store it for 50 weeks of the year.
2020-6-21
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
United States

Fidge Posted at 6-21 22:53
That's exactly it, I couldn't justify almost £1000 on something that, realistically, I might only use a few times a year, (based on past experience) but £500 is doable, just.

I went for the Combo, of course. Got to have somewhere to store it for 50 weeks of the year.

You will prolly find reasons and conditions to fly once you log some "stick time".
Review drone laws in your location, do a little research on care and feeding of your batteries and POST VIDEO HERE!!
2020-6-21
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Akirasho Posted at 6-21 23:10
You will prolly find reasons and conditions to fly once you log some "stick time".
Review drone laws in your location, do a little research on care and feeding of your batteries and POST VIDEO HERE!!

I've already been doing some reading up on the CAA restrictions for the UK and watching plenty of YouTube, but will be looking for inspiration very soon.

The Drone is due to 'Land' tomorrow and we have high winds forecast. It's like buying new Astro equipment and getting clouds for weeks after, or new Car Care products and it rains for days so that you can't try them out.

I'll upload something once I get up in the air.
2020-6-22
Use props
Gabegard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9183 ft
United States

Fidge Posted at 6-22 07:47
I've already been doing some reading up on the CAA restrictions for the UK and watching plenty of YouTube, but will be looking for inspiration very soon.

The Drone is due to 'Land' tomorrow and we have high winds forecast. It's like buying new Astro equipment and getting clouds for weeks after, or new Car Care products and it rains for days so that you can't try them out.

Congrats, I know you'll enjoy it!  As for the high winds, I wouldn't let that stop you from flying it unless it's a full-on gale or something like that.  As long as you have an open field so it won't get blown into anything and you keep it low to the ground, you can play around with it some and it will be fine.  I was very paranoid when I first got mine and took way too long before the maiden flight.  Then I realized that all the stories about the drone getting 'blown away' are mainly from people who flew it high and far and ran out of battery trying to fight the wind on the return leg.  For a little drone it can handle a surprising amount of wind, just keep it close to you and with plenty of space for a quick landing until you have a good feel for it's capabilities.
2020-6-22
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fidge Posted at 6-21 12:40
Well thank you everyone for your responses. I have just ordered one and I'm looking forward to my first flight with it.

Well it arrived this morning, but I've got to work today. So its going to sit there tempting me all day.
20200623_074942.jpg
2020-6-22
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
United States

Fidge Posted at 6-22 22:55
Well it arrived this morning, but I've got to work today. So its going to sit there tempting me all day.

2020-6-22
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Fidge Posted at 6-21 22:53
That's exactly it, I couldn't justify almost £1000 on something that, realistically, I might only use a few times a year, (based on past experience) but £500 is doable, just.

I might only use a few times a year, (based on past experience)

I believe that You'll be flying MM more often...
2020-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mostly depends on your needs.
It is a great drone.
Very good 'out of the box' quality.
Some small (no pun intended) drawbacks that might be showstoppers.
Mainly the connection (when you intend to fly further away) and lack of flat profile.
But for the price / size it is a great drone.
2020-6-23
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So here it is, my first recorded flight. It's not the best and it ended in an inevitable crash. That's what you get for flying in a confined space,  but its all good, I had my prop guards on.

2020-6-23
Use props
NiNo Brown
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33942267 ft
United Kingdom

Nice one, I find myself getting out a lot more since I got my Mini, it definitely has its limitation in the wind which will surely tempt you to consider its bigger brother shortly, but an amazing bit of kit...I'm starting to get brave and flying at just under 400 feet....also going further and further, got some range extenders coming soon to hopefully give me some more range...

https://1drv.ms/v/s!An6EoHsh-HduhLAcGQQttrt2C9vxfA?e=6kdPBc
2020-6-23
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've had my mini for a few months now, after being amazed over and over again with what it can do for its price point and size it's now made my jaw drop for the first time.

I took my two small children bodyboarding today, when I had a chance I grabbed the mini, whacked an ND 16 filter on  (super cheap sunny life) and stuck it in the sky (and hoped exposure was ok without checking), flew around for about 10 minutes whilst very distracted looking after the two kids.

Just checked the footage on my laptop, very far from cinematic (my lack of skill) but I've got some genuinely stunning family videos that would have been impossible without the mini, no way I would have got an MA2 up in the air in the same circumstances. the video quality is awesome.

Once  I figure out Davinci  Resolve I'll post some footage

2020-6-23
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

Read up about storing the batteries properly, the mini does not have the smart discharge of the more expensive drones.
2020-6-23
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Gregg F Posted at 6-23 17:08
Read up about storing the batteries properly, the mini does not have the smart discharge of the more expensive drones.

Really? so how long can we keep it fully charged before it start to damage it ? 10 days?
2020-6-23
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 6-23 19:04
Really? so they can get damaged if charged full for how long?

If you are planning on not flying for 10 days, you should discharge the batteries to 50% or so.
0DCA2156-EE3E-4778-94FF-CBE25C4AE2BA.jpeg
2020-6-23
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
United States

Not bad, but...  more space and altitude can be your friend (larger reaction window).  Were you pinching the sticks or using your thumbs?  Pinching give better control for most people.  C mode slows the drone (changeable from your FPV screen).

Looks like you had open sky (a little overhang from your neighbor).  Lets see the back of your shed and a gimbal tilt and some altitude!

KOI!!

Oh, and prop guards can act like sails outside with wind  (disable payload mode in the app when not using)!!!
2020-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Fidge Posted at 6-22 22:55

Hello there Fidge. Congratulations on your new DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Combo. Just a reminder to please prepare a pre-flight checklist before each flight for safer and happy flight experience. I will be posting a list from the DJI Mavic Mini Safety Guidelines ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_EK.pdf ) for reference. Have a safe and a happy flying always. Thank you.
2020-6-23
Use props
Fidge
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Akirasho Posted at 6-23 20:51
Not bad, but...  more space and altitude can be your friend (larger reaction window).  Were you pinching the sticks or using your thumbs?  Pinching give better control for most people.  C mode slows the drone (changeable from your FPV screen).

Looks like you had open sky (a little overhang from your neighbor).  Lets see the back of your shed and a gimbal tilt and some altitude!

Yeah, I didn't want to go above the height of the fence, so as not to annoy the neighbors. I thought I had set it to C Mode, but when I checked after it was in P Mode and I didn't switch on the payload option on this flight as I wanted it to be stable if the wind caught it, being as I had fences either side of me.
I use my thumbs comes from racing RC Cars as a kid.

Onward and upwards.
2020-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Absolutely. Especially if you are already familiar with flying as the Mini has no anti-collision sensors. Of course there are some limitations due to the fact that you are in EU (same as me) so the WiFi connection will be quite limited in urban areas and you need to remember that the drone is quite small, therefore the motors will not be able to handle wind like its big brothers. On the positive side, it does fly like a Mavic, it is extremely precise, the battery life is outstanding and the 2.7K video quality is great (taking in consideration the capped bit-rate and the limitations of the small sensor size). The Mini definitely punches above its weight.
In addition, the new Fly App is quite intuitive and much easier to understand compared to the Go4 App of the "big" drones. If you have a relatively new PC/Laptop, you can also download DJIs Flight Simulator and play around without risking crashing or losing your drone. This might sound like a infomercial but in reality you cannot go wrong with the Mavic Mini. You should also check the Hubsan Zino Pro at the same price (don't own it), reviews say it is obviously more stable, has a similar range, better camera BUT it isn't as "polished" as the Mini
Also don't forget to get the Care Refresh program, it is a must in case you destroy the bird!

Closing and if you decide to get the Mini, make sure to install a skin on it since day 1 as the plastic in the controller is extremely prone to scratches (mine came scratched from the box actually). Mind that the weight will be affected slightly but in EU we don't have the 249gr FAA registration issues so it doesn't matter.

2020-6-24
Use props
SMODomite
lvl.1

United States

I am where you at when you made this post debating getting the Mavic Mini as my first real drone. Just trying to debate waiting for a sale, or just get the fly more combo off dji and save on tax. Only thing holding me back is worried my older phone, Samsung Galaxy s8 will have issues with the app at all and flying.
2020-6-25
Use props
raven swe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

now you can join in the, I want active track and why cant the mini do this or that threads,
2020-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules