Has Anyone dared try the emergency stop in flight?
12Next >
14825 50 2020-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

As the question above asks...
Has anyone taken their mini up to an altitude, performed an emergenct motor stop in flight, then attempt to restart their motors whilst falling?
Does the drone recover?  Stop its fall & hover?  
Or if you stop the motors, will the drone just tumble to the ground & there is nothing you can do about it?
just curious?  
2020-6-26
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Does the mini have a "pause" button on the trans.? Obviously, that would be the first step in a "sticky" situation.
But yes, it can be done, but with the mini's power output, I really doubt it would be able to recover.
Iv'e seen it done once in a YT vid, and a couple of folks said they "tried" it, and it did work, but I think these were std. Mavics....
2020-6-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I experimented with that in the flight simulator on the GO4 app on the older drones I owned - it did work (well, in a VR set up) but you had to be super quick and at an altitude that would make the FAA/CA a little uncomfortable in the real world! I strongly suggest not even attempting to test it yourself in the field.
2020-6-26
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

some one did a video on emergency stop by turning the setting to anytime. It did fall out of sky after CSC is executed for a second. The problem is when it falls it may tumble, causing IMU error and will bar you from restarting the motors.
2020-6-26
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Guorium Posted at 6-26 07:37
some one did a video on emergency stop by turning the setting to anytime. It did fall out of sky after CSC is executed for a second. The problem is when it falls it may tumble, causing IMU error and will bar you from restarting the motors.

THIS.  Also, I believe the video was of a Mavic Pro series.  My butt cheeks clinch up just remembering that video!
2020-6-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe the biggest hurdle with a mid air CSC and restart using  the mini is whether or not it will tumble during freefall. If it does tumble there is a fair chance that you will be unable to restart the motors.
To imitate a tumble try holding the drone in one hand and waggling it about quite vigourously whilst you try to start the motors with a CSC. I tried this some time ago and, as I recollect, it was by no means guaranteed that the motors would restart. It did not occur to me to try an automated restart.
One of the factors influencing whether or not the Mini will tumble is how much drag the propellors provide as they are pulled through the air. I have done a mid air CSC and restart with a Phantom 3 and going by the screen feed it fell in a flat spin, however the flight logs showed it did wobble quite a bit. The gimbal did one heck of a good job. The propellors of the P3 sit a lot higher on the drone than do those of the mini and I think their drag, combined with their height, helped keep the P3 'upright'.

You face a second problem with the mini, actually stopping the motors in mid flight in the first place.
With the emergency response thing set to the default of "emergency only" and the drone in C flight mode and in free flight, I have held the CSC postion for more than 6 seconds and the motors did not stop. I was actually looking at the flight logs for this flight last night and it looks like I also tried it in S flight mode. Again, I was unable to stop the motors. :-((((((( (

HOWEVER if the emergency response thing is set to "anytime" the motors stop once the CSC position is held for 2 seconds or so. Personally I think that that is too short a delay. I recollect there is a 5sec delay with the Phantom.

If you are inclined to try a mid air CSC, start out low down in C flight mode over grass, so that, if you happen to succeed in stopping the motors, the drone does not fall far. Look up the maximum descent rates for each flight mode and start your trial so that you are close to the ground when you hope the motors will stop. When I did the "anytime" midair stop I started the CSC at about 6ft and the freefall was maybe 18 inches. I HAD and HAVE no intention of trying this at altitude as I doubt a restart will be achieved .

Unless you are truly prepared to lose the mini I would not try to do a midair CSC and restart as an experiment. Of course if you HAVE to do a midair CSC you have nothing to lose by trying to restart the motors at a lower altitude. If you succeed in restarting the motors throttle up to halt the fall, my P3's motors restarted at idle and it continued to fall until I throttled up.

ALSO BE AWARE the a restart will most likely reset the home point to the line of fall.

2020-6-26
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

ha ha..

2020-6-26
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-newbie Posted at 6-26 11:30
I believe the biggest hurdle with a mid air CSC and restart using  the mini is whether or not it will tumble during freefall. If it does tumble there is a fair chance that you will be unable to restart the motors.
Try holding the drone in one hand and waggling it about quite vigourously, to imitate a tumble, whilst you are trying to start the motors with a CSC. I tried this some time ago and, as I recollect, it was by no means guaranteed that the motors would restart. It did not occur to me to try an automated restart.
One of the factors influencing whether or not the Mini will tumble is how much drag the propellors provide as they are pulled through the air. I have done a mid air CSC and restart with a Phantom 3 and going by the screen feed it fell in a flat spin, however the flight logs showed it did wobble quite a bit. The gimbal did one heck of a good job. The propellors of the P3 sit a lot higher on the drone than do those of the mini and I think their drag combined with their height helped keep the P3 'upright'.

Excellent reply. These were the similar thought processes that i had, that prompted the thread in the first place.
2020-6-27
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad to help.
I REALLY, REALLY dislike the "emergency only" thing behaviour. In my opinion it removes command of the drone from the pilot but it's just too risky to put the drone in the "anytime" mode. If it were a 5 second delay then I'd use "anytime" all the time, I never CSC'd my P3 by mistake.
You might find this video and thread interesting
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... d=216349#pid2175988
and this

is probably the video referred to by Guorium.

And then there is this thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 4&page=1#pid2187687

2020-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there PhasedSpaces. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. The CSC command stands for Combination Stick Command. CSC is where you bring both sticks down fully and to the corners. This is used to start the motors of the said drone. It can also be used to stop the motors of the drone quickly. Just a friendly reminder just don't do it while on flight to avoid any incidents. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-6-29
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 23:12
Hello there PhasedSpaces. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. The CSC command stands for Combination Stick Command. CSC is where you bring both sticks down fully and to the corners. This is used to start the motors of the said drone. It can also be used to stop the motors of the drone quickly. Just a friendly reminder just don't do it while on flight to avoid any incidents. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi DJI Stephen,  
The specific thing i'm wondering is .....   
If you DID do a CSC with the Mini, whilst it was high enough - 100ft+,
Could you 'restart' the motors in the same way you do on the ground, whilst it is falling, thus will the Mini recover, stop its fall and hover?
OR will it just tumble to the ground, even if you do manage to restart the motors?
Just curious..
2020-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

PhasedSpaces Posted at 6-30 01:05
Hi DJI Stephen,  

Why would you need to crash your drone.
2020-6-30
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To PhasedSpaces if you succeeded in restarting the motors then, providing you have the height to throttle up and halt the fall you will be able save the drone.
In saying that I am assuming the blades would not be ripped off in the process.
From memory the terminal velocity for my Phantom was in the mid teen m/s possibly 16m/s.
When the motors restarted its 'flat spin' immediately halted but it continued to fall, it took me a second to realise the motors start at idle, throttling up halted the fall

2020-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi DJI Stephen,  

Hi there PhasedSpaces. Thank you for the reply and for the given information. DJI do not recommend using the CSC if it is not necessary to avoid any unwanted incident. As hallmark007 said on post #15. The said drone would crash. Thank you.
2020-7-1
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Just the thought of doing a csc puts shivers down my spine lol
2020-7-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is sort of interesting and foreboding    note the comment about the firmware. They lose A LOT OF HEIGHT
2020-7-1
Use props
Shockingbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 929465 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-1 05:22
This is sort of interesting and foreboding  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhM-eK8kp_Q  note the comment about the firmware. They lose A LOT OF HEIGHT

Scrub to 6:54 for the meat of this video.
2020-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-1 05:22
This is sort of interesting and foreboding  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhM-eK8kp_Q  note the comment about the firmware. They lose A LOT OF HEIGHT

So you’re basically telling others in order to carry out this you must climb well into manned airspace illegally to topple your drone when you probably can’t see it anyway. This whole debate is ridiculous and not one post has put forward two good reasons for carrying out this and particularly with a mini .
2020-7-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallark nothing of the sort.
To be honest I think you just don't like the subject matter so why don't you stay away from the thread if it offends you so much..
As for reasons, honestly I think reasons could be posted all day long and you wouldn't acknowledge them
The thread is of interest to some people and some people also like to know what they can expect of their drone in connection with the subject matter
If you bothered to look you will see I am a ground hugger and quite often comment in the negative about excessive height. True the pilot sent their drone very high and probably contrary to the laws and I do not condone that but height, excessive or not, was not why I posted the link.
The sole point of the link to that video was the fact that the drone tumbled which, I believe, renders a restart all but impossible, hence ''foreboding''. If anyone were to take a lesson from that it should be DO NOT attempt the procedure unless you are prepared to lose the drone, which you surely agree with.
Specifically, with regards to height, assuming the mini didn't tumble it would be feasible to restart the motors within perhaps 1 or 2 seconds of a successful stoppage and I believe the CSC and restart could be accomplished within the 400ft common ceiling.

2020-7-1
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-30 04:14
Why would you need to crash your drone.

The POINT of the post is to try and find out if 'IN THEORY' an emergency stop was executed, for whatever reason.. A flock of birds attacking the drone for example...  Whilst the Mini is falling, even tumbling,  CAN it be restarted &  recover itself, even right itself if it is inverted.
I'm not bothered or interested in the moral reasons of WHY, only that if you did.. CAN the drone be recovered before hitting the ground?  Yes or No ?   That's all .. As simple answer needed, nothing else.
The video posted above of a spark, actually falling inverted, DID show the drone righting itself...  Thus, if the spark is programmed to be able to right itself, is the Mini as well?

Only a DJI rep will be able to answer this, without 'trying' it the hard way.
2020-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PhasedSpaces Posted at 7-1 09:51
The POINT of the post is to try and find out if 'IN THEORY' an emergency stop was executed, for whatever reason.. A flock of birds attacking the drone for example...  Whilst the Mini is falling, even tumbling,  CAN it be restarted &  recover itself, even right itself if it is inverted.
I'm not bothered or interested in the moral reasons of WHY, only that if you did.. CAN the drone be recovered before hitting the ground?  Yes or No ?   That's all .. As simple answer needed, nothing else.
The video posted above of a spark, actually falling inverted, DID show the drone righting itself...  Thus, if the spark is programmed to be able to right itself, is the Mini as well?

It is clearly answered in the manual, if you preform CSC your drone will crash. I think dji write the manual and it’s in Black and White.

2020-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-1 09:26
Hallark nothing of the sort.
To be honest I think you just don't like the subject matter so why don't you stay away from the thread if it offends you so much..
As for reasons, honestly I think reasons could be posted all day long and you wouldn't acknowledge them

Again this is quite simple and dji aren’t going to tell you anymore than what’s in the manual, which is very clear. So it’s not clear what it is your looking for or why ?
2020-7-1
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18307 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-1 10:39
It is clearly answered in the manual, if you preform CSC your drone will crash. I think dji write the manual and it’s in Black and White.

[view_image]

The Mavic Pro manual says the same thing, but someone proved it could recover from an emergency stop and avoid crashing.  I'm not for discounting the manual, but it may not be 100% correct 100% of the time.
2020-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RCnerd Posted at 7-1 11:15
The Mavic Pro manual says the same thing, but someone proved it could recover from an emergency stop and avoid crashing.  I'm not for discounting the manual, but it may not be 100% correct 100% of the time.

I think the manual is correct, and I'm almost certain dji are not going to advertise anything the can't stand by. But I’m sure all are welcome to give it a go, I mean how many could resist trying it out when you see a flock of birds, nothing to lose if the birds are going to crash the drone anyways. And so far the birds seems like the best opportunity any drone pilot will get to try avoid crashing into them and crashing his/her drone at the same time. It’s starting to make sense now. ;+)::::
2020-7-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark, I think everyone is agreed that stopping the motors in mid flight will cause the drone to fall. No one, here or elsewhere, disputes that. By extension the fall will, without other action being taken, result in a crash, again this is not disputed.
BUT what other contributors to this thread are discussing is whether or not it is possible to restart the motors after a mid air CSC and before the drone hits the ground.

With regard to "So it’s not clear what it is your looking for or why ?"
What am I looking for?  
Answer, I want to know if the motors of a DJI Mavic Mini can be restarted if the drone is in freefall following a pilot commanded midair motor stop? Is that clear enough for you?
As to "why", that is irrelevant, besides which reasons have been given already.

As I demonstrated with my P3, and others have done with other drones, if the motors can be restarted the drone's fall can be halted and normal flight resumed and a crash avoided..

For clarity, do you dispute that I and others have, during freefall,  successfully restarted the motors of drones other than the DJI Navic Mini?
2020-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-1 12:35
Hallmark, I think everyone is agreed that stopping the motors in mid flight will cause the drone to fall. No one, here or elsewhere, disputes that. By extension the fall will, without other action being taken, result in a crash, again this is not disputed.
BUT what other contributors to this thread are discussing is whether or not it is possible to restart the motors after a mid air CSC and before the drone hits the ground.

What you’re doing it making things up to suit your argument. Read the Manual yes everyone throws that one around, but not without good cause, don’t try re writing it. It doesn’t say anything after doing CSC except that drone will crash and that’s exactly what will happen and I’m sure dji not write it in for a laugh.

It’s clear that many have real problems coming up with why you would need to cut motors in mid air, except your being attacked by a murder of larks. I’m surprised that some expect dji to come out and say that you can restart your drone midair after CSC, but they forgot to mention in the manual, probably because you can’t .

I have seen some videos, unfortunately there are many videos I didn’t see because they ended in fail. So my challenge to you is take your P3 out tomorrow and post your video as dated and maybe do it 10 times just to show us all it’s 100% effective. But until I see it work 100% I will carry around with me the knowledge that if I CSC that my drone will crash. But apart from a very dangerous situation or getting stuck in a tree I won’t be using CSC.
You still haven't explained the urgency or the emergency that caused you to CSC.
2020-7-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"You still haven't explained the urgency or the emergency that caused you to CSC." There was none, it was an experiment. I have no intention of going out to shoot a video just to pander to you. Besides, would you believe it?  Why don't you try it for yourself? You might even then believe the results
2020-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-2 03:30
"You still haven't explained the urgency or the emergency that caused you to CSC." There was none, it was an experiment. I have no intention of going out to shoot a video just to pander to you. Besides, would you believe it?  Why don't you try it for yourself? You might even then believe the results

I don’t need to try. I know what happens and if you bothered to read the manual you’d know as well.
2020-7-2
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep up the good work Hallmark you're doing a grand job.
2020-7-2
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-1 11:44
I think the manual is correct, and I'm almost certain dji are not going to advertise anything the can't stand by. But I’m sure all are welcome to give it a go, I mean how many could resist trying it out when you see a flock of birds, nothing to lose if the birds are going to crash the drone anyways. And so far the birds seems like the best opportunity any drone pilot will get to try avoid crashing into them and crashing his/her drone at the same time. It’s starting to make sense now. ;+)::::

You think the manaul is correct...  Which manual?  Mavic Pro manual reads:

Stop Motors Mid-flight
Stop motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash.

Yet the video above shows the motors being stopped mid-flight without a crash, unless you're going to redefine what "crash" means.  Either the manual was wrong in this case or the video is fake.  Which is it?

MP P56.JPG
2020-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RCnerd Posted at 7-3 14:03
You think the manaul is correct...  Which manual?  Mavic Pro manual reads:

Stop Motors Mid-flight

Well try above yourself see if it works, if it doesn’t then get another mini and keep trying you might get lucky. Or read the manual and accept its correct. Do you think dji would have left out the part about confidently being able to restart the dropping drone, I mean think about it if dji could avoid their drone hitting a person or damaging property wouldn’t they have told users.
I’ve never had any reason for cutting motors mid flight and I don’t expect I ever will, so I’m thinking I’ll not be trying that because I’ve no intention of crashing my drones.
2020-7-3
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-3 14:20
Well try above yourself see if it works, if it doesn’t then get another mini and keep trying you might get lucky. Or read the manual and accept its correct. Do you think dji would have left out the part about confidently being able to restart the dropping drone, I mean think about it if dji could avoid their drone hitting a person or damaging property wouldn’t they have told users.
I’ve never had any reason for cutting motors mid flight and I don’t expect I ever will, so I’m thinking I’ll not be trying that because I’ve no intention of crashing my drones.

I don't recall anyone suggesting a Mavic drone could be confidently stopped and restarted in the air.  I don't work for DJI and can't speculate on what they would say to a hypothetical situation.  Stop arguing like my wife and simply answer the two questions I asked you in my previous reply.
2020-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RCnerd Posted at 7-3 16:14
I don't recall anyone suggesting a Mavic drone could be confidently stopped and restarted in the air.  I don't work for DJI and can't speculate on what they would say to a hypothetical situation.  Stop arguing like my wife and simply answer the two questions I asked you in my previous reply.

I did answer your questions, not my fault your as thick a 7 bread boards. Preform CSC your mini will crash, Make your own mind up about the video.  but that answer doesn’t seem to get through to you, so my sympathies are fully with your wife. Maybe she will read the manual for you.
2020-7-3
Use props
RCnerd
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-3 16:20
I did answer your questions, not my fault your as thick a 7 bread boards. Preform CSC your mini will crash, Make your own mind up about the video.  but that answer doesn’t seem to get through to you, so my sympathies are fully with your wife. Maybe she will read the manual for you.

Like many before me, I now know what you are.  Thank you for your transparency.
2020-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RCnerd Posted at 7-3 19:04
Like many before me, I now know what you are.  Thank you for your transparency.

Again you think your free to insult others and cower away when it’s dished out.
2020-7-4
Use props
Gregory.Opera
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151122 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-3 16:20

It's people like this idiot that ruin a community... Seriously dude, if you're not going to be constructive in your participation, f#*k off to another forum.
2020-7-4
Use props
PhantomPil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

"Has anyone taken their mini up to an altitude, performed an emergenct motor stop in flight, then attempt to restart their motors whilst falling?"

I havent dared do that. However i have flown blindfolded while hopping on one leg and munching on a burger - has anyone else tried that?
2020-7-4
Use props
PhantomPil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Hi DJI Stephen,  

"If you DID do a CSC with the Mini, whilst it was high enough - 100ft+"

...and would you have propellor guards on as a safety precaution. Just curious..

Using Newton's equations of Motion at 100 foot you would  have about 10 seconds to carry out this procedure assuming mass of 250g, air resistance/drag of 0.24 kg/m and gravity of 9.80665 m/s sq otherwise you would hit the ground at about 7mph.
2020-7-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gregory.Opera Posted at 7-4 14:52
It's people like this idiot that ruin a community... Seriously dude, if you're not going to be constructive in your participation, f#*k off to another forum.

That sounds constructive. You need to remove your foot from your mouth.  LMFAO........
2020-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

WAY too scary for me to ever contemplate.  I hope I NEVER find myself in such a situation.  
2020-7-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules