Authorization Zone 1332
665 12 2020-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Why am I getting a red Authorization at the top of Fly app...I’m not even in the zone?  It says I have to unlock which a message says I was successful doing but the red Authorization remains and I can’t even start the motors.  The zone is the pink area north of me.  National park to the East.
41B235C8-16E7-45C8-9AF8-85219D46C676.png
2020-6-26
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

There may be a TFR for the fires in the area.
https://arcg.is/1K5Om1
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

If you go to DJI Geo Zone Map  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map  , I am in a blue circle...but I wonder if that's something DJI came up with and not the specific boundaries you see on Airmap.  Yes, it's definitely from the forest fires on the mountains to the north.
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 6-26 11:08
There may be a TFR for the fires in the area.
https://arcg.is/1K5Om1

You're right about the TFR...but I still wonder how DJI builds they're restrictions that prevent the drone from actually starting versus the actual FAA restriction.
2020-6-26
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

My impression is that DJI simply creates a circular authorization zone that covers the entire TFR zone (and more), rather than the actual area which can be complex.

(Sorry for the double picture, the first upload didn't show and now I don't seem to be able to delete the second one)

TFR

TFR
TFR.png
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 6-26 11:56
My impression is that DJI simply creates a circular authorization zone that covers the entire TFR zone (and more), rather than the actual area which can be complex.

(Sorry for the double picture, the first upload didn't show and now I don't seem to be able to delete the second one)

Yeah, I agree.... looks like they build a circle that completely covers the TFR...and doing it that way incorporates a whole lot more territory...mine included.
2020-6-26
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

If you look at your original AirMap image, you can see that the outline of the TFR displayed there matches the actual area. That just goes to show that you can't rely on it alone to plan flights with DJI drones. What's interesting is that the other app I use for flight planning, UAV Forecast, doesn't show the DJI NFZ either.
3D3E9C65-A505-4EA3-8F52-E3237B41DD11.png
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Just made an Unlocking Request from DJI at  https://www.dji.com/flysafe    It was relatively painless.  It brings up a map and you double click on it to build a center point of the area you want to fly in.  You tell them what radius you want around the point and what your max altitude will be.  After I submitted I got approval in less than 5 minutes.  I did this on my desktop.
2020-6-26
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I'm more familiar with the process than I'd like because I have to make an unlock request every time I try to fly at home. According to the DJI Fly app and DJI Fly Safe website I'm about 100 yards inside a authorization zone for my local airport.

It's one of two at the airport and from its shape looks like it's supposed to protect the approach and departure for a runway that doesn't exist. The airport only has one runway, and one of the authorization zones covers its approach and departure. The second authorization zone intersects the first, but doesn't match up with the normal approach or missed approach procedure.
2020-6-26
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 6-26 13:06
I'm more familiar with the process than I'd like because I have to make an unlock request every time I try to fly at home. According to the DJI Fly app and DJI Fly Safe website I'm about 100 yards inside a authorization zone for my local airport.

It's one of two at the airport and from its shape looks like it's supposed to protect the approach and departure for a runway that doesn't exist. The airport only has one runway, and one of the authorization zones covers its approach and departure. The second authorization zone intersects the first, but doesn't match up with the normal approach or missed approach procedure.

My unlocking request was for 26 Jun to 8 Jul...wouldn't it be easier for you to ask for a longer time period?
2020-6-26
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

During last years Miramar Air show,   the TFR was for 33 mile radius of the runway.   DJI locked out 52 mile radius which screwed up a job I was to do that day at the 40 mile mark.

You know I'm still a little miffed about that!!!  

Randy
2020-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rustic17. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. For us to be able to assist you further with regards to this matter ( Authorization Zone 1332 ). Kindly please send an email to our DJI Fly safe department at flysafe@dji.com for us to be able to assist you personally. Thank you.
2020-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules