Viewing iphone/Ipad screen in harsh sunlight
6868 8 2015-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cbarrettcampbel
lvl.1

United States

How are you guys able to see your iPad/iPhone during flight when it is the middle of the day in direct sunlight? The glare is so bad, I can't see anything. Did you guys buy a hood or anything to help with this?
2015-6-18
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can find a list of commonly used sun shades here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#RemoteControllerP3

A sun shade will not totally eliminate that issue -- but, it'll improve it. When possible, it's best to stand in a shaded area.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-18
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is far from a perfect solution, but yes - use a sun hood - both for glare reduction and to prevent overheating of your mobile device when screen is exposed to direct sunlight in temperatures above 85F.  (Note: maximum operating temperature of iPad and IPhone is 95F.) However, if the sun is behind you, the sun hood won't help much with glare.  Obviously, turn your device screen brightness all the way up and see if activating "auto" brightness check box gives you an even brighter screen (works on some Samsung Android devices).  Also, do not wear polarized sunglasses while trying to view the iPad screen; sunglasses will make the screen image even darker and more difficult to see.

Note that DJI now offers its own sun hood as an accessory item.  But there are many others to choose from on eBay.com and Amazon.com.  

Be sure that the sun hood has a small opening for the USB/lightning cable on the right side (or both sides).

Some day, maybe, Apple or one of the Android device manufacturers will come out with a color mobile device display that can be seen clearly in bright sunlight.  But one doesn't exist today - at least for the consumer market.
2015-6-18
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Buy my glasses and be done with it   http://www.ebay.com/itm/28172014 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2015-6-18
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I use an iPad mini 2 with sunshade and anti glare film on iPad. Also Don't use polarizing sunglasses. I made my sunshade from a thin cardboard, some velcro and flat black spray paint, cost 0$ as I had everything on hand and now have template to reproduce when current one wears out.
2015-6-18
Use props
mcrs
lvl.1
Canada

Aside from a hood for your tablet/phone I've found simply wearing dark clothing helps a lot!
2015-6-18
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I used some corrugated plastic and superglue to make a custom shroud. Very light and very cheap, £4 for an 8' x 4' sheet Its used as flooring protection , I got mine from a local DIY store its called Antinox
2015-6-18
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Put a blanket over your head and controller lol
2015-6-18
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France