MA2 Strong Wind Warning and Considerations
4352 22 2020-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

This just popped up on my YouTube homepage... I found it very interesting.  The wording of the alert probably needs to be changed.  The key thing to remember, if you're new to DJI drone flying, is the Low Battery RTH triggers based on distance away from the RC and the power the app thinks would be required to RTH....this computation is based on a NO-WIND scenario. If the RTH is into the wind, your drone might not make it back home.  Most experienced drone pilots will fly out into the wind so they have a tailwind return.  Either that, or start home with 10-30% extra power than they normally do.  Fly safe!!!      

2020-7-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really? I flew my MA2 in 20+ MPH winds today (upwind and downwind repeatedly) and had no warnings even when going below 30% battery 1/2 mile downwind. Landed with 15% left.
2020-7-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-4 21:03
Really? I flew my MA2 in 20+ MPH winds today (upwind and downwind repeatedly) and had no warnings even when going below 30% battery 1/2 mile downwind. Landed with 15% left.

I don’t think the video was faked...I just wanted you all to know about an alert that might pop up that at face value could be a little unsettling.
2020-7-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 7-4 21:15
I don’t think the video was faked...I just wanted you all to know about an alert that might pop up that at face value could be a little unsettling.

Didn't think it was faked, just maybe a bit conservative. Thanks for posting it.
2020-7-4
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

Just curious, how do you know the computation is based on a no-wind scenario?
2020-7-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

InTheReeds Posted at 7-4 21:27
Just curious, how do you know the computation is based on a no-wind scenario?

Read the last caution at the top of page 15 in the manual.
2020-7-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-4 21:21
Didn't think it was faked, just maybe a bit conservative. Thanks for posting it.

Yeah....I think the issue is when the wind speed approaches the max speed of RTH or the max speed of the drone.  In your case, you still had some power to overcome the wind.
2020-7-4
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks squire.
You're right; the auto low-battery RTH is indeed constantly recalculating its trigger point based on the distance from the home point but makes no consideration of wind.  Thankfully as you say, it's usually pretty conservative and will allow for a head wind but if you're flying far away and it's a strong wind, then yes, watch out...
I made this video to demonstrate the fact that despite the wording of the warning, it will still go into RTH mode, and it will make up some of the speed even against a wind that is stronger than the spec'd max RTH mode speed of 12 m/s.  

Cheers,  Ian

2020-7-4
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-4 21:03

Hi again Gary
These warnings pop up at any time in the flight and do pop up quite regularly for me in the Fly App for the Mini and the Air 2.  The wording implies you have no RTH functionality, but that's not actually the case, hence the video....   When they occur, the whole handset vibrates....
2020-7-4
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Thanks for sharing
2020-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Nice, informative video, Ian.  
2020-7-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing. Good info for new pilots.
2020-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 7-4 21:41
Read the last caution at the top of page 15 in the manual.

Hi Rustic,

I read this caution in a different way ; when the wind is too high and the drone cannot fly against the wind it wiil never reach home automatically.

I think i agree with you that DJI calculates the time to fly back home (thus auto RTH) without actual wind values, let me think of a way to test that out!

cheers
JJB

Image 1.png
2020-7-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-5 07:29
Hi Rustic,

I read this caution in a different way ; when the wind is too high and the drone cannot fly against the wind it wiil never reach home automatically.

You say "never"...the manual says "may not".  It may still be able to fly into the wind but the energy (battery) required may not allow it to get back to the HP.
2020-7-5
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Thanks for the info will come in handy
2020-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 7-5 07:44
You say "never"...the manual says "may not".  It may still be able to fly into the wind but the energy (battery) required may not allow it to get back to the HP.

in my case (situation) i said :  "never & cannot fly the against the wind"  = true.

But ofcourse it is may not for all wind speeds in wich the drone can have positive ground speed values towards home.

cheers
JJB
2020-7-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2020-7-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 7-4 23:46
Hi again Gary
These warnings pop up at any time in the flight and do pop up quite regularly for me in the Fly App for the Mini and the Air 2.  The wording implies you have no RTH functionality, but that's not actually the case, hence the video....   When they occur, the whole handset vibrates....

Really? I have never seen it with the MA2, but many times with the Mini.
2020-7-5
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

Good to know, makes sense really.
2020-7-6
Use props
NiNo Brown
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33942267 ft
United Kingdom

Nice video, thanks Ian...
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video a very nice find. Just a friendly reminder to please follow the prompt to reduce altitude when seeing this notification to ensure a safe return of the drone while doing RTH. Thank you and safe flying.
2020-7-6
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

so the conclusion is :
1. flyback manually using sport mode
2. lower altitude
2020-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij