Mavic Air vs. MA2 - Main DIfferences
679 5 2020-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Few years back I got the original MA when it came out, and now I'm pondering whether I should upgrade. Yes, there is already a lot of information out there, but hard to make sense of all of it, unless you have a lot of free time to sit and watch YouTube videos.

I'm interested in a list of features, back-to-back between the original MA and the MA2. To me, the biggest improvement is the battery life. That in itself, is enticement enough to upgrade. I know also about the increased range with OcuSync. Yet, nonetheles, what am I getting with the MA2?

The Original MA had obstacle avoidance and 4k Video. However, what it didn't have is the ability to power in-flight acessories from its micro-USB port. A while back I wanted to install a large LED ring under the drone (to improve night visibility), and power it from the drone itself. On the original MA, the on-board micro-USB port only works for data transfer. In contrast, I did the same thing with a Parrot drone, and it worked beautifully.

So, here are some of the main questions/concerns:

1. Is there a USB port and can it be used to power accessories?
2. Obstacle Avoidance, same/better than MA1 ?
3. Video capture modes etc, what am I getting on the MA2, that is not on the MA1 ?

Would also love to hear from those original MA1 who upgraded to the MA 2 ... what's your experience so far ?

2020-7-5
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

1 - There is a USB Port.  I do not believe it can power accessories.  There is a  built-in led light at the bottom that you an use in flight, and it works great for visibility when over head.  At some angles of flight you can't see at well if the bottom is tilted.  My solution to lighting (for the MA1 and 2) is to use some Firehouse Arc strobes with some snap-on mounts.  Light, easy to attach/remove and can see for a long way.
2. Obstacle avoidance is better than the MA1, but not perfect.
3. HDR Video, Smart Photos, 4k 60, 8k hyperlapse and a few other things are new from the Air 1, plus the better camera to begin with.  I think the quickshots are similar, although there is a no circle mode.  It does not have tapfly, but it does have the "opposite"  focus track, which I like a lot better.

The biggest pluses over the MA1 are going to be range and battery life.  You can fly a lot further, and a lot longer.  It also is a smoother flying craft.  Biggest negative is its a big bigger and heavier.  Overall, coming from the MA1, the MA2 is much better for flying in general.  However, if you flights are primarily short and for taking some video/pictures of close-by objects, the advantages are minor (little better camera, and some other features).  

2020-7-6
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the useful information.
2020-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Range, remote, battery life, camera, prop noise, OA, compass has all improved on the MA2. It also looks like a Mavic rather than an improved Spark.
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JB63. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. In addition to this threads I will post a link where in you can compare both the DJI Mavic Air 2 with the DJI Mavic Air and with other DJI consumer drone ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you.

2020-7-6
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I upgraded from Mavic Air to Mavic Air 2. It's definitely worth it.
Things I like -
1. Low pitch noise than the previous one
2. 4k 60FPS and HDR
3. Focus Track
4. Ocusync
Things I don't like-
1. Bulkier than the previous one
2. No compact case
3. DJI fly app not yet updated to be useful as DJI GO4 app
2020-7-6
Use props
Advanced