Mini lost satellites
690 8 2020-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_QrKPgVYLdUFt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 724843 ft
United States

Flying Mini's this evening and my girlfriends mini lost satelite connection. She took with 13 and flew about 1000 feet when she got a message that all satelites were lost. Nothing we did would bring the drone back. We found the drone hovering in a field and initiated return to home and it went home with no issue.
What can cause this and how can it be avoided in the future?  
Thanks!!
2020-7-7
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Step one.  Look at the flight data and see what that is showing for satellites.  Did they all fail at once or fail one by one?
2020-7-7
Use props
djiuser_QrKPgVYLdUFt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 724843 ft
United States

K6CCC Posted at 7-7 17:25
Step one.  Look at the flight data and see what that is showing for satellites.  Did they all fail at once or fail one by one?

Flight data is showing she started with 16, then dropped to 14. She went 1114 feet and data still indicating that she had 15 satellites. At 1:36 she lost them.  App said it would initiate fail safe and it never did.
2020-7-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_QrKPgVYLdUFt Posted at 7-7 17:31
Flight data is showing she started with 16, then dropped to 14. She went 1114 feet and data still indicating that she had 15 satellites. At 1:36 she lost them.  App said it would initiate fail safe and it never did.

Was there also a signal loss ?
Maybe the signal loss setting was set to to hover in the DJI Fly app
2020-7-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_QrKPgVYLdUFt Posted at 7-7 17:31

The drone cannot return on its own without GPS.
Post your flight data and it might explain the incident.
2020-7-7
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 7-7 17:25
Step one.  Look at the flight data and see what that is showing for satellites.  Did they all fail at once or fail one by one?

K6CCC I hope that you weren't a CW operator with that call.  That would be a CW mouthful.  WO3B
2020-7-7
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 7-7 20:20
K6CCC I hope that you weren't a CW operator with that call.  That would be a CW mouthful.  WO3B

Hi Bob,
Actually I was licensed in 1977 as WB6WMW which is a mouthful in voice, but for a 2x3 call, flows quite well in CW.  I did a fair amount of CW in my early days.  but after a few years, the CW was seldom.  I traded that in for my current call in 1997 (if I remember right) on the day that the vanity call window opened for Advanced class licensees.  I later upgraded to Extra, but have no real desire to shorten it.  My last CW contact was not far from 20 years ago on a satellite with a guy in Algeria (who was CW only).  I needed Africa for WAC via satellite and from Southern California, Africa is tough via sats, so I had to make the contact....
2020-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to know what happened to the previous flight of your DJI Mavic Mini. Can you please try to refresh the firmware of the said drone using this link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ) and try to fly the said drone to a different location to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-7-7
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 7-7 21:50
Hi Bob,
Actually I was licensed in 1977 as WB6WMW which is a mouthful in voice, but for a 2x3 call, flows quite well in CW.  I did a fair amount of CW in my early days.  but after a few years, the CW was seldom.  I traded that in for my current call in 1997 (if I remember right) on the day that the vanity call window opened for Advanced class licensees.  I later upgraded to Extra, but have no real desire to shorten it.  My last CW contact was not far from 20 years ago on a satellite with a guy in Algeria (who was CW only).  I needed Africa for WAC via satellite and from Southern California, Africa is tough via sats, so I had to make the contact....

My first call was WV2YYO back in the early 60s and that took all day to send on a straight key. It got a little better when I upgraded to general and went to WA2YYO.  I let my license lapse while in the Navy riding submarines as a radioman and got back into the hobby in 1990 when I was wanting to get my children interested in the hobby. The 2x1 call was an assigned call when I passed my extra.  Not the best on CW but has some swing to it.
Nice meeting you.
Bob
2020-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules