Mavic Mini video problems artifacts
1815 20 2020-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phcaze
lvl.1

Italy

Hello, I recently received my Mavic Mini and I went out for the first flight. I shot a video and I noticed that it is badly affected by video artifacts and glitches. I'm using a microSD card bought on the dji website with the drone, 64GB, SanDisk Extreme U3 A2 XC I V30. It happens if I use either an iPhone or an Android phone (not sure if it makes a difference).
Video settings are: 2.7k, 30fps, EV 0.0, AUTO, Anti-flicker AUTO, White Balance AUTO.

This is the video, taken from the SD card directly, I played it also from my MacBook SSD disk with VLC, same story.

Any clue about what the cause can be? Thanks
2020-7-12
Use props
Fidge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41512 ft
United Kingdom

I'm no expert, but try flying somewhere else. Somewhere were there are't as many comms towers and equipment, see if you still have the same issue.
2020-7-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact you are flying a drone that uses basic WiFi near huge communication towers which causes massive interference with the signal is the reason for the problems you are experiencing. As Fidge advised you need to fly well away from those towers.
2020-7-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact you are flying a drone that uses basic WiFi near huge communication towers which causes massive interference with the signal is the reason for the problems you are experiencing. As Fidge advised you need to fly well away from those towers.
2020-7-12
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

change locations (both you and the drone)... fascinating towers but enough metal to raise an eyebrow even if the towers are dark.

If you really want this subject, you might need multiple flights and edits.
2020-7-12
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It would be interesting to know if he reports back whether the comm towers were originating the problem, and what kind of towers are (frequency).
2020-7-12
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's not noise. It's communication issues. As others mentioned it's probably caused by the huge transmitter tower you are flying next to...
2020-7-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I don't believe it has anything to do with the towers, whether they are tranmitting or not. And is has nothing to do with the SD card or what phone he is using. I think the issue is in the process he has used o transfer the file to the Macbook and then to YouTube. The best way to diagnose this is to upload a copy of a file to Dopbox and let us look at the original file. Preferably upload a shorter clip.
2020-7-12
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 7-12 18:14
I don't believe it has anything to do with the towers, whether they are tranmitting or not. And is has nothing to do with the SD card or what phone he is using. I think the issue is in the process he has used o transfer the file to the Macbook and then to YouTube. The best way to diagnose this is to upload a copy of a file to Dopbox and let us look at the original file. Preferably upload a shorter clip.

You obviously don't have a Mavic Mini...
2020-7-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

22340179 Posted at 7-12 19:57
You obviously don't have a Mavic Mini...

No, but I have been flying these drones since the P3 series and I know the issues. Also, I am retired from the film and television industry. So, what does having a Mini have to do with the issue here?
2020-7-12
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It sounds weird to me as well that an antenna tower is so powerful to disrupt the internal flow of electrons passing information through the various chips. It is possibile but for my experience with other unshielded electronic devices quite unlikely.

But anyway... sticking to the manual one SHOULD NOT EVEN FLY in the vicinity of antenna towers.
2020-7-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

m80116 Posted at 7-12 21:18
It sounds weird to me as well that an antenna tower is so powerful to disrupt the internal flow of electrons passing information through the various chips. It is possibile but for my experience with other unshielded electronic devices quite unlikely.

But anyway... sticking to the manual one SHOULD NOT EVEN FLY in the vicinity of antenna towers.

Quite correct, if there was that level of interference, then it would disrupt the flight of the aircraft before anything else.
2020-7-12
Use props
phcaze
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks for all the replies. Looking at your suggestions I tried to watch other videos I shot the day before, and they had the same issue. I was watching them from the Macbook again, after having copied the files on my desktop. Then I decided to watch them directly from the microSD connected to the laptop, and those weird effects were not there anymore. I copied all the videos again to the desktop, and they were perfect.

So it seems it was a problem not related to the drone, the sd card, or the radio antennas (btw they should be mainly TV antennas, so quite far from Wi-Fi frequencies). Probably something wrong with the USB-C to USB-A adapter or to the USB-A to microSD one.
Thanks a lot!
2020-7-12
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Check your card reader. I had a similar experience when playing Mini’s footage on my 4K TV. With a different card reader it was ok. Also, are you playing back the video directly from the SD card or you’ve downloaded it to your laptop. 3d option is you have a bad card.
Edit: Just saw you've solved it
2020-7-12
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1469341 ft
  • >>>
Australia

what El Diabolico said. Card Readers can fail even after performing well for some time.  As well as charging the card reader, check your cables. Let's know how you go.
2020-7-13
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

not relevant ...........ignore
2020-7-13
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

phcaze Posted at 7-12 22:26
Thanks for all the replies. Looking at your suggestions I tried to watch other videos I shot the day before, and they had the same issue. I was watching them from the Macbook again, after having copied the files on my desktop. Then I decided to watch them directly from the microSD connected to the laptop, and those weird effects were not there anymore. I copied all the videos again to the desktop, and they were perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbImqgH7jk

Great!  Happy to be wrong and pleased you got your shots!
2020-7-13
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

phcaze Posted at 7-12 22:26
Thanks for all the replies. Looking at your suggestions I tried to watch other videos I shot the day before, and they had the same issue. I was watching them from the Macbook again, after having copied the files on my desktop. Then I decided to watch them directly from the microSD connected to the laptop, and those weird effects were not there anymore. I copied all the videos again to the desktop, and they were perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbImqgH7jk

DOH!!!  Double Post!
2020-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there phcaze. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having issue with the videos filmed using your DJI Mavic Mini. Can you please try to fly your DJI Mavic Mini to a different location to see if the issue will still persist? Just a reminder to kindly please fly your DJI Mavic Mini to another open field without or less interference to check there will be changes. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-7-13
Use props
phcaze
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks everyone for all the replies, the problem is solved As I said in my last post it seems it was due to a bad transferring of the videos from the memory to the computer. I noticed that by playing them directly from the microSD they were perfect, so I copied them again and those issues were not there anymore.
2020-7-13
Use props
djiuser_pyeru1TdxvmV
New
Sweden

I am having the same problem with my DJI mini 2, all the videos I take are coming out noisy and grainy, no matter what mode I use. I tried both auto and manual setting and still got bad result . Can anyone help ?
2021-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules