Nearly lost mini through lost connection
808 20 2020-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dylunio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82625 ft
United Kingdom

Hi everyone, been out today again, had to cut my time short as wind got up a bit too much and the weather wasnt very good. Also I wasnt even 200ft-300ft away from the mini and lost connection for about a minute and it decided to RTH, I left the footage in the video below as it came very close at crashing, I must just be lucky, lol.
2020-7-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

1- lucky you set the RTH altitude where you did.

2- when you fly behind a building like you did....you will surely lose  connection......."200 to 300ft " doesn't matter when there is something between your RC and AC

Randy
2020-7-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucky indeed. Flying behind buildings will definitely block you signal.
2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dylunio. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic Mini almost crashed and it is good to know that everything is fine. Just a reminder to please always fly at location that are clear of magnetic or radio interference, buildings and other obstacles. In addition I will post a list under Flight Condition Requirements specifically on Interference with Communication and an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Hope this can help you have a safe and a happy flying always.

2020-7-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lucky day!
The mini does not have a super solid connection like the more expensive drones have (occusync)
2020-7-15
Use props
Dylunio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 7-15 20:02
1- lucky you set the RTH altitude where you did.

2- when you fly behind a building like you did....you will surely lose  connection......."200 to 300ft " doesn't matter when there is something between your RC and AC

Thanks rwynant V1, I will never let a building come between me and my mini ever again
2020-7-15
Use props
Dylunio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 7-15 20:15
Lucky indeed. Flying behind buildings will definitely block you signal.

Thanks Woe, lesson learnt, lol
2020-7-16
Use props
Dylunio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-15 22:45
Hello there Dylunio. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic Mini almost crashed and it is good to know that everything is fine. Just a reminder to please always fly at location that are clear of magnetic or radio interference, buildings and other obstacles. In addition I will post a list under Flight Condition Requirements specifically on Interference with Communication and an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Hope this can help you have a safe and a happy flying always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thanks for the tips DJI Stephen, as it happens the video you posted I watched it last night before going to bed, I learnt a lot from just that video, thanks
2020-7-16
Use props
Dylunio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-15 23:35
Lucky day!
The mini does not have a super solid connection like the more expensive drones have (occusync)

Does the air 2 have occusync Montfrooij, thanks
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dylunio Posted at 7-16 00:05

Yes it does.
2020-7-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dylunio Posted at 7-16 00:05

Occusync 2.0 if I'm correct.
2020-7-16
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Lucky escape but nice views!
Occusync is great improvement but always keep the line free between AC and remote.
2020-7-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-7-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To Dylunio, sorry but posting this video is daft.  
The flight is a flagrant breach of section 4 of https://register-drones.caa.co.u ... ly-and-responsibly.
I strongly suggest you delete the video from youtube and fly in accordance with the CAA rules.
Even though you currently do not have to register the Mini you are still bound by the CAA rules and regulations concerning where you fly etc. and flying a drone over built up areas is forbidden.....full stop.

Screenshot_2020-07-16 Where you can fly UK Civil Aviation Authority.png
2020-7-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You are most welcome Dirty Bird. Thank you for your endorsement of education/enlightenment!
If it saves the CAA going after the OP and or enlightens the OP as to rules they were unaware of, that is a satifactory conclusion as far as I am concerned.

2020-7-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dylunio Posted at 7-16 00:01
Thanks Woe, lesson learnt, lol

You're welcome.
2020-7-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I am afraid you have mistaken my sarcasm for an endorsement" did I, oh dear, what a surprise!!!

Actually I am not missing out an any pleasures from any such flight for the simple reason that I don't like the idea of flying a drone over or around any such areas.
I am far more concerned for the safety of others and the liabilities, legal and or financial, that I might incur than I am inclined to indulge my own gratification.

Such considerations aside, there are very 'blocks of concrete' or 'fields of tarmac' that I find attractive but, if that is what rocks your boat then, fair play to you.

"Curious if you pull up alongside motorists & chastise them for speeding or not wearing a seatbelt?"  Not that it is relevant to a conversation about drones but ......no I do not. However their actions are not likely to cause the instigation of further legislation and restrictions, drone pilots flying over cities in the UK might. Besides which, most people in the UK know that it is a legal requirement for most people in vehicles in the UK to have seat belts on, however I would say that a fair number of new drone pilots may not be so aware of the rules applicable to flying a drone.

Let's leave it at that, shall we? I will.
2020-7-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wheres the video?
2020-7-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-16 04:40
I am afraid you have mistaken my sarcasm for an endorsement.  Curious if you pull up alongside motorists & chastise them for speeding or not wearing a seatbelt?

A glimpse at some of the pleasures you will never experience...

Thats awesome footage DB - the music really sets it off too. Thanks for sharing.
2020-7-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-16 08:21
Thanks!  Kind of cool that the whole thing was flown sitting in the driver's seat of the truck you see at the very end.  Nothing like a stealth flying!

Good for you mate - no harm done and a good time had.
2020-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Dylunio Posted at 7-16 00:04
Thanks for the tips DJI Stephen, as it happens the video you posted I watched it last night before going to bed, I learnt a lot from just that video, thanks

Hi there Dylunio. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. It is great to know that you liked the said video and if you have any other concerns or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2020-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules