Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MA2 - Biggest Disappointment
12Next >
1980 68 7-18 04:25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6777792 ft
  • >>>
United States

My biggest disappointment with the Mavic Air 2 is DJI's decision to tether it to the Fly app rather than Go4.  I can sort of see Fly for the Mini (though I still would prefer the Mini be compatible with Go4) as a simpler program for new or casual operators, but Fly just doesn't live up to the capabilities of the MA2.  The Fly interface is clunky & unpolished.  Months have passed & we still can't read basic information due to the lack of a menu bar.  The settings are buried in menus & convoluted.  The MA2 is too good of a drone to be hobbled by Fly.  Why can't the Go4 app be made compatible?

One App to fly them all!
7-18 04:25
Use props
Mrbillywood
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1160591 ft
United States

I agree. Also, the cache video is not transferring to the DJI Fly storage for my MA2. Is this another app issue/inefficiency?
7-18 07:10
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822405 ft
United Kingdom

thumbs up! (or down?) couldn’t agree more
7-18 07:13
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.3
United States

Mine is the fact that it doesn't work with anything but what it came with.  No Goggles, No Sky Controller, No Crystal Sky, No Flight Simulator,  No Gimbal or Expo controls,  No Live Streaming...   Like 3 months in now.   What's worse is i'm seeing quite a few people with burnt out batteries in the exact same location.
7-18 08:09
Use props
virtual
First Officer
Flight distance : 1172812 ft
Czechia

I agree, I miss some basic and advanced features in Fly app as well. But from what I've heard 64bit app is the future for DJI, so updates to Go5 more likely than backward compatibility to Go4...
7-18 08:26
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

virtual Posted at 7-18 08:26
I agree, I miss some basic and advanced features in Fly app as well. But from what I've heard 64bit app is the future for DJI, so updates to Go5 more likely than backward compatibility to Go4...
64-bit may well be the future, but it would not be difficult to add MA2 support, & Mini for that matter, to Go4 in the interim.   It would also put an end to unfortunate owners of 32-bit Android OS devices being surprised to learn their new Mini or Mavuc Air 2 purchase requires buying a new phone as well.
7-18 08:33
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woobisah Posted at 7-18 08:09
Mine is the fact that it doesn't work with anything but what it came with.  No Goggles, No Sky Controller, No Crystal Sky, No Flight Simulator,  No Gimbal or Expo controls,  No Live Streaming...   Like 3 months in now.   What's worse is i'm seeing quite a few people with burnt out batteries in the exact same location.
The battery issue is definitely troubling.  Especially since all the failures appear to occur in the exact same way & spot.  It is perplexing that DJI hasn't been more proactive in pushing out common features to what is a brilliant bit of tech.  I passed over the original Mavic Air due to its short flight time & WiFi link, but the MA2 is really sweet.
7-18 08:42
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 5482523 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not so sure that settings buried in menus is a problem with fly app, the go4 app has many more menus buried than the fly. All camera settings except WB are available on main screen which is a great help particularly to those using manual controls.

I think those using go4 for some time have just got used to the menu system and interface.
I think fly app needs a few more items added that are missing from go4 and the radar system is inferior. But for me the much cleaner interface particularly for shooting video/photo is much cleaner and you can frame a lot easier.
They could make battery icon very slightly larger, but touching it gives you all info you need. I think improvements will come.
Good luck with the new bird, it's a lot of bang for buck.
7-18 08:44
Use props
LOADiNG//
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12513 ft
United States

Ya I would imagine all future drones will use Fly app including new Mavic 3 releasing in September, unfortunately its one of those things we just have to wait on. The functionality will need to be  equal to or greater than the GO4 app for future drones to be viable, but we will just have to wait until they update the app to be similar which could take some time.
7-18 10:25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

LOADiNG// Posted at 7-18 10:25
Ya I would imagine all future drones will use Fly app including new Mavic 3 releasing in September, unfortunately its one of those things we just have to wait on. The functionality will need to be  equal to or greater than the GO4 app for future drones to be viable, but we will just have to wait until they update the app to be similar which could take some time.

new Mavic 3 releasing in September
If you think you know a release date so far into the future, you are mistaken.
7-18 17:19
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 11321529 ft
  • >>>
United States

I won't argue with anybody's opinion on liking the Go4 vs. Fly interface better than another.  I think much of that is subjective.  I think some of that opinion for many is likely formed by their familiarity and vast experience with the Go 4 app.  For myself, I don't even have to think about anything in Go 4, it is just "muscle memory" due to the amount of time I have running it.  I don't have the same yet with the Fly app just because I don't have anywhere near the same amount of time in using it.

However, I see people every day say that the MA2 is hobbled because DJI is using the Fly app.  I personally would argue that is not the case at all.  In my opinion, the MA2 is hobbled not because it uses the Fly app, but instead it is hobbled because it is DJI's mid-tier drone.  The original Mavic Air obviously had some warts (battery life, wifi, sound), but it still used the Go 4 app and was severely hobbled by the features that DJI decided to allow access to within the interface.  The same can be said of the Spark as well.  Both of those drones had FAR more capability than DJI ever enabled in the Go 4 interface and were "hobbled" because of that.  

The Spark and MA were "hobbled" not because they used the same Go 4 app as the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2, but instead they were "hobbled" because of their price point and placement in the DJI lineup.

I think the same is true of both the Mavic Mini and the Mavic Air 2.

p.s. I do think it is interesting that people now are pining for Go 4 for the Mini and Air 2.  If you go back more than a year, I think the prevailing opinion is that Go 4 is a mess, very hard to use and needs to be redesigned.
7-18 20:33
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 7-18 20:33
I won't argue with anybody's opinion on liking the Go4 vs. Fly interface better than another.  I think much of that is subjective.  I think some of that opinion for many is likely formed by their familiarity and vast experience with the Go 4 app.  For myself, I don't even have to think about anything in Go 4, it is just "muscle memory" due to the amount of time I have running it.  I don't have the same yet with the Fly app just because I don't have anywhere near the same amount of time in using it.

However, I see people every day say that the MA2 is hobbled because DJI is using the Fly app.  I personally would argue that is not the case at all.  In my opinion, the MA2 is hobbled not because it uses the Fly app, but instead it is hobbled because it is DJI's mid-tier drone.  The original Mavic Air obviously had some warts (battery life, wifi, sound), but it still used the Go 4 app and was severely hobbled by the features that DJI decided to allow access to within the interface.  The same can be said of the Spark as well.  Both of those drones had FAR more capability than DJI ever enabled in the Go 4 interface and were "hobbled" because of that.  
I agree there is a subjectiveness to app preference.  In my opinion, Fly is unprofessional in form, functuon, & appearance.   There are loads of basic settings missing from the app.  The lack of a menu bar across the top, with a tiny white OSD for important telemetry where bright sky & clouds typically display, even after months of complaints & several app updates, is maddening.

I hope DJI is not going to follow the example of Google in perpetually redesigning apps merely for the sake of maintaining the attention span of ADHD youth?

I set up an MA2 yesterday for a friend who came to me for advice on buying his first adult drone.  Together I guided him through the full setup, spent a couple hours showing him the ropes, & had an opportunity to fly the MA2 for two full battery runs.  Very impressive bird, right down to the inclusion of a landing light!  RC range is phenomenal. Fortunately the MA2 does not appear to have been crippled compared to its predecessor, the Spark, or Mini.
7-18 22:34
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77815 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The mavic air 2 has so much potential and such a high-quality drone that the DJI has a hard time publishing these facts, because it would cannibalize the rest of the mavic series. I think the Air is at least as good as the zoom, so DJI goes and downgrades it via the app. I also don't think that DJI will introduce the costum settings for sharpness etc.

At the end of the day I'm not so angry anymore, because the A2 is also a really good drone and is a huge leap in quality in all areas to my old A1.
Regards
7-19 00:42
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 7-18 20:33
I won't argue with anybody's opinion on liking the Go4 vs. Fly interface better than another.  I think much of that is subjective.  I think some of that opinion for many is likely formed by their familiarity and vast experience with the Go 4 app.  For myself, I don't even have to think about anything in Go 4, it is just "muscle memory" due to the amount of time I have running it.  I don't have the same yet with the Fly app just because I don't have anywhere near the same amount of time in using it.

It’s only 12 months ago that Mavic Air forum was lit up complaining about go4 app, indeed it was been constantly cast up that go4 had such low ratings on both google and App Store that it was basically useless. Having seen Autel App recently I think fly app is easily more user friendly and so much easier to navigate. I believe familiarity has a lot to do with getting used to fly app for some. For me I like the lay out, some icons maybe slightly to small but I can still see them without to much of a struggle. I also think more improvements will come but it doesn’t need to be complicated for the sake of it.
7-19 04:05
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-19 04:05
It’s only 12 months ago that Mavic Air forum was lit up complaining about go4 app, indeed it was been constantly cast up that go4 had such low ratings on both google and App Store that it was basically useless. Having seen Autel App recently I think fly app is easily more user friendly and so much easier to navigate. I believe familiarity has a lot to do with getting used to fly app for some. For me I like the lay out, some icons maybe slightly to small but I can still see them without to much of a struggle. I also think more improvements will come but it doesn’t need to be complicated for the sake of it.

As of this post Go4 is rated 3.6, original Go 3.2, Fly 2.9.
7-19 04:35
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-19 04:35

I’m not sure what google is but App Store is opposite of that. I don’t hold much store in any of those, I’ve never really had any problems with the apps and have always seen improvements made over time.
I think go fly is fine but needs some development and some important things like gimbal speed and Exp settings are important things needing updating , apart from that I’m not missing much else and those are promised in future FW. I think if you take two similar phones and put up user interface of both you will see device using fly app is far less cluttered and you can see a lot more of what you shooting, I happen to like that. But the radar I don’t like and battery info needs to be slightly more visible . I don’t find the white against the clear background a problem. And I find camera controls much easier on fly app except WB.

I think it might be a misconception to believe that because it’s not as busy as go4 that there is stuff missing .
7-19 05:03
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-19 05:03
I’m not sure what google is but App Store is opposite of that. I don’t hold much store in any of those, I’ve never really had any problems with the apps and have always seen improvements made over time.
I think go fly is fine but needs some development and some important things like gimbal speed and Exp settings are important things needing updating , apart from that I’m not missing much else and those are promised in future FW. I think if you take two similar phones and put up user interface of both you will see device using fly app is far less cluttered and you can see a lot more of what you shooting, I happen to like that. But the radar I don’t like and battery info needs to be slightly more visible . I don’t find the white against the clear background a problem. And I find camera controls much easier on fly app except WB.

Those were the ratings for Android from the Google Play Store.  In daylight I can't read Fly's top telemetry at all, even with readers.  If it's basically white on white there's no contrast & nothing to read.  In Go, you just swipe up & you have full screen.  Swipe again & everything returns.  Fly is so bland.  It reminds me of the Cosmo app my nephew uses to control his little robot.  
7-19 05:19
Use props
virtual
First Officer
Flight distance : 1172812 ft
Czechia

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-19 04:35

Many bad ratings were because of Samsung compatibility. Fly app is not bad IMPOV (I never had problem) but needs some impovements.
7-19 06:09
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-19 05:19
Those were the ratings for Android from the Google Play Store.  In daylight I can't read Fly's top telemetry at all, even with readers.  If it's basically white on white there's no contrast & nothing to read.  In Go, you just swipe up & you have full screen.  Swipe again & everything returns.  Fly is so bland.  It reminds me of the Cosmo app my nephew uses to control his little robot.

I know about the swipe up, but you then have no telemetry, so with fly you get both. No matter what device I’ve used even with go4 in direct sunlight you still have to make an effort to read all the telemetry including CS and SC. For me I think if they had magnified view, like if you touch screen icon gets bigger or something similar, or even two options of size might work. I just hope they try improving without impacting your view .
7-19 06:22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and concerns to the designated DJI support team for further attention. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
7-19 21:12
Use props
SjK_oldman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 339229 ft
United States

Range is biggest disappointment
7-21 01:04
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 2243632 ft
  • >>>
United States

SjK_oldman Posted at 7-21 01:04

Disagree, the range is fine.  Quite good actually, under the right circumstances.  We need SC compatibility, and I’ll be happy.
7-21 01:41
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SjK_oldman Posted at 7-21 01:04

Do you mean you cannot get enough range or you need to get more than Air2 already offers.
7-21 04:07
Use props
Blellow
First Officer
Flight distance : 543173 ft
  • >>>
United States

The range on the MA2 seems a little less than my recently deceased M2Z which is odd because it is quoted as more!
7-21 11:49
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77815 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I fly no more than a range between 10m - 600m and that is even to much, because we only can fly in a range where you can see the drone.
I don´t know what you all want with such a huge distance?
The given distance is more than enough and if you want more closer to something, drive by car and tha go fly to it.
7-21 13:19
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81818 ft
Canada

DJI fly app user interface is much better than the GO4 but it's lacking the GO4 features.
7-21 17:31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 255856 ft
United States

MavGuido Posted at 7-21 13:19
I fly no more than a range between 10m - 600m and that is even to much, because we only can fly in a range where you can see the drone.
The given distance is more than enough and if you want more closer to something, drive by car and tha go fly to it.

I would need an amphibius car to get there in my case.
7-21 19:10
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MavGuido Posted at 7-21 13:19
I fly no more than a range between 10m - 600m and that is even to much, because we only can fly in a range where you can see the drone.
Perhaps you should scrap the drone altogether?  Just drive to your subject & use a handheld camera with a telephoto lens.  One can never be too careful!
7-21 19:17
Use props
NordicFinn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62667 ft

Finland

Yea, So true. More info on AND those top bar icon size should be adjustable and more contrast!
7-23 09:29
Use props
NordicFinn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62667 ft

Finland

Blellow Posted at 7-21 11:49
The range on the MA2 seems a little less than my recently deceased M2Z which is odd because it is quoted as more!

I got a mixed feelings about RC - Drone range.. Some times i get errors and compaints about connection allready on 50-150meters.. Sometimes i go to 700 meters and connection is just fine. Bit wierd.

And remembering that the max range should be around 7000m  - 10000m.
7-23 09:32
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 2982907 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because they are off a different engine most like.  The most important thing is the lag, feed, is the video smooth, and is it reliable?
7-24 15:28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 1675817 ft
France

Still no sign of the SDK being released to Litchi, etc. DB ?   I've added a mini to my gear and love it. But as you say the Fly App is constraining.
7-27 15:52
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 7-27 15:52
Still no sign of the SDK being released to Litchi, etc. DB ?   I've added a mini to my gear and love it. But as you say the Fly App is constraining.

The Mini is a nice little bird.  Hope you like it.

The Mini SDK was released today!   Hopefully we will see Litchi support soon.

Mini SDK Released!

7-27 16:02
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 1675817 ft
France

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-27 16:02
The Mini is a nice little bird.  Hope you like it.

The Mini SDK was released today!   Hopefully we will see Litchi support soon.

Oh! Great news. Thanks for that. I prefer My Mavic2Zoom, as you might expect. But the Mini definitely has its place.  Fly safe, and keep safe, in these difficult times.
7-27 16:25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1700092 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I truly believe that your criticism toward the Fly app is triggered by subconscious negation of a new things to learn. It's like switching to DaVinci Resolve after years of using PP. Crap, where is this and that!? How to do this and that? In fact the trend of issuing slimmer, perhaps even simplified apps tailored for a particular group of drones, rather than universal app of monstrous size for all, may result in better reliability and lesser taxation of device CPU. Long ago there was a strong lobby of seasoned pilots suggesting just that ...
7-27 20:08
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-27 20:08
I truly believe that your criticism toward the Fly app is triggered by subconscious negation of a new things to learn. It's like switching to DaVinci Resolve after years of using PP. Crap, where is this and that!? How to do this and that? In fact the trend of issuing slimmer, perhaps even simplified apps tailored for a particular group of drones, rather than universal app of monstrous size for all, may result in better reliability and lesser taxation of device CPU. Long ago there was a strong lobby of seasoned pilots suggesting just that ...

I prefer Go4 because a wealth of information is clearly presented & always available to me at a glance.  With Go4, I SEE everything, GPS status, battery status of aircraft/RC, camera status, settings, storage situation, the map & radar are always there.

I also prefer LEGIBLE information.  The Go4 menu bar & full-width, informative, battery status display, vs the tiny & usually unreadable GPS & battery status "specks" displayed in white over bright sky & clouds.

There is a trend in program design to change things merely for the sake of change.  An attempt to retain the short attention spans of youth.  Enter Windows 10, with boxes of moving images for the kiddies, vs the clean functionality of Windows 7/8 or XP.

Many programmers are young & fail to consider a large percentage of users are 45+.  As we age we can no longer see small text or icons.  Information is useless if it can't be seen or to do so distracts from flying.  

I like the familiarity & information provided by Go4.
7-28 04:43
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1700092 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-28 04:43
I prefer Go4 because a wealth of information is clearly presented & always available to me at a glance.  With Go4, I SEE everything, GPS status, battery status of aircraft/RC, camera status, settings, storage situation, the map & radar are always there.

I also prefer LEGIBLE information.  The Go4 menu bar & full-width, informative, battery status display, vs the tiny & usually unreadable GPS & battery status "specks" displayed in white over bright sky & clouds.

I  clearly see your point and I'm with you on that. Oh, Windows 7 ... The culture of smartphone-sized and eye-catching-above-functionality app's design philosophy left us - the old-timers - in the dust. But it was always like that. My beloved father - an avid tango and waltz dancer - banned Rolling Stones records in home library LOL. Lucky me, my last step in droning adventure (amazing Mavic 2 Pro) is happily flying under Go 4 control ...
7-28 08:00
Use props
Delanog
New

Canada

Would someone be able to tell me what brand and model tablets is used on a MA2. Due to lots of issues with connection with fly app
7-28 11:54
Use props
Schmooit
Captain
Flight distance : 1119865 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Out of interest on the MA2 is there a configurable button for the camera down function? OR the Mini for that matter, it was my bug bear with the original MA I couldnt flip the camera down had to rotate it downwards, (DJI insisted this was a pro feature and only on the professional models (which doesnt mean Pro models apparently) yet it was on the spark! and Phantom 3 and 4 stnd and Pro!

Anyway I didnt jump straight in this time and now trying to think if I want a mini or an ma2 or both! Does the fly app link flying hours with GO4? or are they getting further disjointed! Just be handy for keeping flight logs for work flights etc...
7-28 12:49
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5649236 ft
Thailand

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-18 08:42
The battery issue is definitely troubling.  Especially since all the failures appear to occur in the exact same way & spot.  It is perplexing that DJI hasn't been more proactive in pushing out common features to what is a brilliant bit of tech.  I passed over the original Mavic Air due to its short flight time & WiFi link, but the MA2 is really sweet.

Can you please point me in the direction of this problems?
I (and google)  can't find that topic, somehow.

Has it something to do with a "battery installation error"?
Oddly  enough, that I had it today on 2 batteries, last week on one, but ALL of them happened AFTER landing the bird!
And what  else is to do as pushing it in to the battery bay and "click"?

EDIT:

Found this topic:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=217286&page=1#pid2180230
so the installing error IS not the battery error you mentioned.
Unless it is the activation error in the hub, I'd still like to read about!

7-28 21:57
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules