Recovery of crash GPS position without DJI GO 4
1042 15 2020-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Erkperk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1208720 ft
Sweden

I was filming windsurfers using my Mavic 2 pro and DJI goggles and was hitting a sail and crashed into the water.  I was flying visually using the goggles and had not connected the phone to the remote (stupid me).  There is no recording of the flight in my DJI GO 4 app, since it was not connected. My drone is going to be dead in the sea-water of course, but I had 6 batteries worth of film that I'd like to recover, and the water is shallow,  so I'm wondering if the latest GPS position is stored and can be recovered from the remote or from the Goggles (first generation). If I can get the GPS position I can search for the drone by snorkling in a small area.

Doesn't the remote controller itself, or the DJI goggles store the latest GPS position somewhere so it can be recovered somehow?

Help would be very appreciated.

2020-7-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Doesn't the remote controller itself, or the DJI goggles store the latest GPS position somewhere so it can be recovered somehow?
No
2020-7-21
Use props
Erkperk
lvl.1
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 7-21 03:10
No

Thanks, but when I connect the goggles using DJI Assistant 2 , I can see  .txt files called flightlogs which I have now "uploaded" to the cloud.  Next step is to figure out how to access these files in the "cloud". I don't see them in the GO 4 app among the other flight logs although I have pressed "sync". Any ideas?
2020-7-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Erkperk Posted at 7-21 04:19
Thanks, but when I connect the goggles using DJI Assistant 2 , I can see  .txt files called flightlogs which I have now "uploaded" to the cloud.  Next step is to figure out how to access these files in the "cloud". I don't see them in the GO 4 app among the other flight logs although I have pressed "sync". Any ideas?

If you can work something out, you'll be the only user that has.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 318&pid=1516055

2020-7-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Erkperk Posted at 7-21 04:19

While the logs may not be readable by the usual public tools, surely DJI support could read them and return the last known GPS coordinate. Good luck.
2020-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Erkperk. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance.  We have a professional team that will do there best to check what happened to the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.
2020-7-21
Use props
Erkperk
lvl.1
Sweden

Thanks Stephen,

I sent this message on the link you provided:

Hi,

I posted on the forum about my problem and DJI Stephen directed me to you. I was flying my Mavic 2 pro using the standard remote with DJI goggles connected. No telephone or app was connected when I lost the drone. I would like to recover the latest gps position and I have uploaded the .txt flight Logs from goggles to cloud. I’m wondering if I can access these logs or if you can provide me with the latest gps-position before the crash. I’m also interested in analyzing why I crashed I if more info is available in these logs. It would be fantastic if I could see see info similar to the info in the logs produced by The GO 4 app. Thanks in advance, Erik (my cloud account is in the same email as I have reported in this mail)
2020-7-22
Use props
Erkperk
lvl.1
Sweden

2020-7-22
Use props
neilfisher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385243 ft
Canada

The biggest consideration here is the water currents. Even if you're able to obtain the last known GPS position. The chance of your drone rest peacefully on the ocean floor is incredibly slim. Considering that you were shooting wind surfers - you were likely rather close to shore. The push and pull of the tides and relentless upwelling surf will have certainlly moved your drone a great distance from where it initially entered the water.

I hate to be all doom and gloom. This is just what I've experienced when trying to recovered camera gear and other random equiptment that ends up on the bottom - in a relatively close distance from shore.
2020-7-22
Use props
Erkperk
lvl.1
Sweden

I found it and recovered my films (except the last film open at the crash)  Have not heard from DJI support yet though. Would be nice to know if goggle logs are useful.

I have tried "StellarRepair" of the corrupt video file using a good file as example. That produced a valid but empty mp4 file. I'm now reading that some users have successfully recovered their files by restarting the drone with the same unaltered memory card used in the crash, I'm wondering if that trick works with a new drone or if it has to be the same drone used in the crash. Perhaps some content is kept in internal memory which will be saved to the memory card. Anyone knows?

2020-7-23
Use props
Kwazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41227 ft
United States

That's great! How did you find it? Looks relatively far from the shore.
2020-7-24
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Fantastic news !   

Respect to hang on for this result !
2020-7-24
Use props
Erkperk
lvl.1
Sweden

Kwazy Posted at 7-24 10:49
That's great! How did you find it? Looks relatively far from the shore.

It was pure luck. Without the gps position my likely area was about 10000 m2 so I had no expectations, but when I jumped in from the boat it just sat there right below me.  It was like it made a proper landing on the bottom. I also got the film of the actual crash recovered now by putting the SD-card into another Mavic 2 and making a new film. That repaired the broken film.
2020-7-24
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Erkperk Posted at 7-24 11:58
It was pure luck. Without the gps position my likely area was about 10000 m2 so I had no expectations, but when I jumped in from the boat it just sat there right below me.  It was like it made a proper landing on the bottom. I also got the film of the actual crash recovered now by putting the SD-card into another Mavic 2 and making a new film. That repaired the broken film.

2020-7-24
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow I'm impressed !
2020-7-24
Use props
neilfisher
lvl.4