Motors stop in mid air if throttle down?
6345 24 2015-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
al.bratukhin
lvl.1

Russia

I really worry when I desent my P3P.I try not to push throttle stick to the lowerest position because when Phantom on the ground and I hold trottle down for 3sec. motors stop rotating.
Anybody know/checked if it is safe to desent with throttle down?? I couldn't find answer anywhere

2015-6-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

As long as you are descending, you can have the stick in full down position, and the motors will not shut off.  
2015-6-19
Use props
jguay64
lvl.1

United States

I bring mine down with the throttle down, I keep it in that position if I want to descend quicker. The motor doesn't stop so you should be safe.
2015-6-19
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Well on a different phantom 3 forum this guy said he started descending quickly while he was 1500 feet high and he stated while he was pushing his throttle stick all the way down for more then 8 seconds he said the motors stopped in air and his phantom 3 fell down and crashed on a tree. And he said he has video of the crash. But
People started asking him for the video and he has still not provided the video and any flight logs... So I think it was BS.

I would be much more worried about the CSC failsafe mode by pushing both control sticks down.. That causes it to stop the motors. But it's a awkward position to do that from what I have learned.
Oh and don't forget to always try it in the flight simulator on your pilot app.

2015-6-19
Use props
al.bratukhin
lvl.1

Russia

I dont say here about CSC procidure, I will definetly shut off motors in mid air!
I still worry... Dont even know how to check it safely
2015-6-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

al.bratukhin Posted at 2015-6-19 22:16
I dont say here about CSC procidure, I will definetly shut off motors in mid air!
I still worry... D ...

It will take 3 seconds for the normal down stick to shut off the motors.  That relies on barometric pressure change.  After 3 seconds of no change in altitude, the motors will shut off.

2015-6-19
Use props
al.bratukhin
lvl.1

Russia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-6-19 22:23
It will take 3 seconds for the normal down stick to shut off the motors.  That relies on barometric ...

I saw this video. It is not Phantom 3!!! I need to be sure about P3P
2015-6-19
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

al.bratukhin Posted at 2015-6-19 22:55

It's basically the same thing... If you need more help then go on some Russian Federation forums and speak your own language.
2015-6-19
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

al.bratukhin, the above video also applies to the Phantom 3. The procedures to shut off the motors are identical between the Phantom 2 and Phantom 2.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-19
Use props
sveilien
lvl.2

United States

I noticed that the landing legs have wires running in to them. Perhaps its for some type of pressure sensitivity that allows the P3  to know it has landed and shuts the rotors off when the throttle is at full down.  
2015-6-19
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

sveilien Posted at 2015-6-20 01:30
I noticed that the landing legs have wires running in to them. Perhaps its for some type of pressure ...

The Phantom does not know when it lands. It only knows when it stops descending. To prove this theory, hand catch your Phantom and hold down the left stick down. Your Phantom will still shut off after 3 seconds -- even though the landing gear are not touching the ground.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-19
Use props
sveilien
lvl.2

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-6-20 01:42
The Phantom does not know when it lands. It only knows when it stops descending. To prove this the ...

Do you touch the landing legs when catching it?  I'm  really just curious why there are wires running in to the land legs.
2015-6-19
Use props
guy.keren
lvl.2

United States

If you push the throttle down, the motor will stop only if the props are in idle state and the drone does not move.  Idle state is the state just after you turn on the motors on, the props are turning but the drone is on the ground.  This state indicates that the your drone is sitting on a solid ground.
2015-6-19
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Jack57 Posted at 2015-6-19 22:00
Well on a different phantom 3 forum this guy said he started descending quickly while he was 1500 fe ...

Confirmed numerous times from DJI people - if you're using the throttle to lower the Phantom, it will not stop the motors until several seconds AFTER it comes to a stop on the ground.

Unfortunately, it *is* possible to stop the motors while the Phantom is in the air. To avoid confusion here, I'll not state how that's done. Let's just say, unless you're doing something really stupid....
2015-6-19
Use props
Lonestar
lvl.1

United States

sveilien Posted at 2015-6-20 01:46
Do you touch the landing legs when catching it?  I'm  really just curious why there are wires runn ...

The wires in the legs are the antennas for Lightbridge
2015-6-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Phantom 2 or 3, they have the same programming in them.  If you don't believe that, do as Jack says.
2015-6-19
Use props
al.bratukhin
lvl.1

Russia

Lonestar Posted at 2015-6-20 02:51
The wires in the legs are the antennas for Lightbridge

And compass also
2015-6-19
Use props
al.bratukhin
lvl.1

Russia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-6-20 04:31
Phantom 2 or 3, they have the same programming in them.  If you don't believe that, do as Jack say ...

Not sure! P2 has NAZA v2 in P3 is some new flight controller soldered into board with ESC. I have NAZA v2 in one of my quadcopters and can confirm that motors dont stop when throttle in lowerest position when heli in mid air or on the ground
2015-6-19
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

There are two antennas on the top rear section of your controller. I was under the impression that one of those antennas is for aircraft control and the other is for the Lightbridge (it receives the transmitted signal of video from the Phantom back to the controller and hence to your mobile device..

One of the sets of wires on the Phantom landing gear is the compass. The other set is the transmitting antenna for the Lightbridge system back to the RC.

If you hand-catch the Phantom there is no danger in touching those wires. They are insulated and they are very low voltage. Since you're landing and thereby at least temporarily terminating your flight, you're not interfering with anything on your Phantom.
2015-6-21
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

Ok so here is what I want to know and it would be awesome if the same guy would test it out.  I would like to know if you could start the motors back up again in mid fall and recover the bird.  Obviously you would have to have it up pretty high in order to have enough time and it would be a much more risky test but it would be awesome to know.
2015-6-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

al.bratukhin Posted at 2015-6-20 05:20
Not sure! P2 has NAZA v2 in P3 is some new flight controller soldered into board with ESC. I have  ...

It takes 3 seconds to perform a normal shutdown with the stick fully in the down position when the Phantom is not moving.
2015-6-21
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-20 02:51
Confirmed numerous times from DJI people - if you're using the throttle to lower the Phantom, it w ...

Or something creative in terms of a shot. It shouldn't be possible to shut it down this way. I guarantee that people will lose their drones this way (accidental CSC midair)...just give it time.
2015-6-21
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

jhall651 Posted at 2015-6-22 08:46
Ok so here is what I want to know and it would be awesome if the same guy would test it out.  I woul ...

Why not have a second person (being CAREFUL) running down a flight of stairs and holding the Phantom firmly with both hands in such a way that the props cannot hit them. The barometer will still be recording descent. Therefore it should be possible to test if the Phantom can start up again.
2015-6-21
Use props
bob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745 ft
United States

I bring my Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 down quite frequently by holding the left stick fully down. The video is really jerky, but the motors have never shut off.  I'm wondering what would happen if you use the both-sticks-lower-in to do it at altitude.  I know that would kill the motors, but if you restarted the motors using the same technique, would the Phantom recover, and how many feet would it take.  I've always considered this maneuver as an emergency procedure if you see a stupid pilot coming at you at below 400 feet.  Has anyone tried it?
2015-6-21
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

lightpanther Posted at 2015-6-22 13:18
Or something creative in terms of a shot. It shouldn't be possible to shut it down this way. I guar ...

It has apparently happened already. A couple of weeks back there was a post on this forum where the operator/pilot stated "...I was doing some maneuvers..." was his quote. Someone, who apparently had access to the flight record/log suggested that the pilot had either intentionally or accidentally initiated the CSC maneuver while the Phantom was aloft.

In the back of my mind, I think I also remember someone shutting down and restarting the props - but his Phantom was apparently very, very high at the time. Don't know that flight logs were ever made available to verify that claim.
2015-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules