Some panos from Norway
731 24 2020-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

I'm a photographer at heart so stills are my thing. I got the MA2 primarilly to do video, not really thinking it would be very usable for stills. Well, of course it is, even with the limitations of sensor size and so forth. Its taking some time getting used to the new perspectives tho.

My favourite tactic at the moment is shooting wide or 180 degree panos, save as RAW, process in ACR and then stitch in Microsoft ICE. Will often crop "wide" panos to either 1:1, or a better framing in 16:9/3:2. Still yields more resolution than single 12mp shots.

Here's some shots from my area and from the mountains.

"Downtown", city of Drammen.
Pano Ypsilon regnbue 2.jpg

The Folldal valley
Pano Folldal 27c.jpg

The Dørålen valley
Pano Folldal 15c.jpg

Southern Lier valley
Pano 3 Nøste.jpg

City of Drammen
DJI_0030.jpg

The Folldal valley
Pano Folldal 19c.jpg

The Einunndalen valley
Pano Folldal 12.jpg

For more from the amazing Einunndalen valley, there is this video as well:
2020-7-25
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Nice footage and photos!!!
2020-7-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic collection.
2020-7-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Those pictures would look fantastic printed and framed.
2020-7-25
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1644009 ft
United States

2020-7-25
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Its always great to have Mother Nature providing such awesome material.  Really great shots and video.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-7-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14044580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful images
2020-7-25
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

MisterFrag Posted at 7-25 10:26
Those pictures would look fantastic printed and framed.

Yeah, I think they will, even with the noise levels in these files. I am drooling over the thought of a dramatic superwide and narrow pano as a custom print covering half a wall. If only I had a "free" wall. They are covered by other, more normal format prints ;)
2020-7-26
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

Northwood Posted at 7-25 12:23
Its always great to have Mother Nature providing such awesome material.  Really great shots and video.  Thanks for sharing.

Gotta get our asses out when there is unusual light. It makes the most mundane look half-way interesting!
2020-7-26
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Very nice shots!
2020-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome collection of panos.
2020-7-26
Use props
fans7d2141d0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231693 ft
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-26 01:33
Yeah, I think they will, even with the noise levels in these files. I am drooling over the thought of a dramatic superwide and narrow pano as a custom print covering half a wall. If only I had a "free" wall. They are covered by other, more normal format prints ;)

What sort of size do you think you could realistically get if you used the raw files and stitched yourself to max out quality?
Interested in doing something like this fall my hallway.
2020-7-26
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

fans7d2141d0 Posted at 7-26 04:00
What sort of size do you think you could realistically get if you used the raw files and stitched yourself to max out quality?
Interested in doing something like this fall my hallway.

I would guess these can look alright up to a meter tall and however wide fits the composition, based on previous printing experience and the file quality. If the file looks good I would opt for something like a 3:1 I think, 60cm tall and 180cm wide on canvas maybe. Mounting and/or framing is always a challenge with things like this too.

However, as always with prints, it's as much a matter of viewing distance, print media and print tech as file resolution. Massive prints such as what I outlined in the beginning of the post aren't meant to be viewed up close. These are prints you place where furniture or other things prevent the viewer from sticking their nose up into the prints. If it's a rather normal, narrow hallway in a smaller house where the viewer naturally comes quite close to the print, I would print a lot smaller. Say between one and two feet/30-60cm tall at most.

2020-7-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

These shots look amazing including the video
2020-7-26
Use props
fans7d2141d0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-26 04:28
I would guess these can look alright up to a meter tall and however wide fits the composition, based on previous printing experience and the file quality. If the file looks good I would opt for something like a 3:1 I think, 60cm tall and 180cm wide on canvas maybe. Mounting and/or framing is always a challenge with things like this too.

However, as always with prints, it's as much a matter of viewing distance, print media and print tech as file resolution. Massive prints such as what I outlined in the beginning of the post aren't meant to be viewed up close. These are prints you place where furniture or other things prevent the viewer from sticking their nose up into the prints. If it's a rather normal, narrow hallway in a smaller house where the viewer naturally comes quite close to the print, I would print a lot smaller. Say between one and two feet/30-60cm tall at most.

thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response, much appreciated and some good points which I hadn't thought regarding viewing distance.
I think I would go with canvas as it solves the framing issue.
Cheers
2020-7-26
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

M4cr0s Posted at 7-26 01:36
Gotta get our asses out when there is unusual light. It makes the most mundane look half-way interesting!

So true.  Now if the weather would just cooperate sometimes!
2020-7-26
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

fans7d2141d0 Posted at 7-26 12:34
thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response, much appreciated and some good points which I hadn't thought regarding viewing distance.
I think I would go with canvas as it solves the framing issue.
Cheers

No problem. Bear in mind, if printing this large, I would do test prints of a crop of the picture you are planning to print, and then view it at a reasonable distance, at a size around A3/~"11.69 x "16.53 to get an idea if grain, noise and resolution is acceptable to you. Such as this.

testprint.jpg

To eke out as much quality as possible, I would definitely process raws from the drone, export as 16bit tiffs, stitch in for instance Microsoft ICE or Hugo. Preferably export the image with a couple different projections, typically stereographic and spherical, from the stiching software and see what looks/works best. Choice of projection and cropping also has a significant impact on the resolution of the end product. Then do final adjustments in Photoshop or similar.
2020-7-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shots    
2020-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there M4cr0s. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these stunning photos you have captured using your DJI Mavic Air 2. Great work fly safe always.
2020-7-27
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

Thank you for all the kind comments Sirs. Glad you liked my stuff
2020-7-28
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant, thanks for sharing.
2020-7-29
Use props
BostonMavic
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 7-26 23:34
No problem. Bear in mind, if printing this large, I would do test prints of a crop of the picture you are planning to print, and then view it at a reasonable distance, at a size around A3/~"11.69 x "16.53 to get an idea if grain, noise and resolution is acceptable to you. Such as this.

[view_image]

That's a great idea doing a proof print first with a crop. Thanks for the tip
2020-8-6
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

BostonMavic Posted at 8-6 12:31
That's a great idea doing a proof print first with a crop. Thanks for the tip

No problem!

Another tip may be, if one find one find more resolution is needed. Topaz Gigapixel AI is the best upscaling software I've ever seen. In many cases substantially better than traditional upscaling with Photoshop and similar which just increases number of pixels. There are a few other softwares in the same vein of "smart" upscaling with different pricing models and business concepts. Gigapixel is fairly expensive at 99$. But, no subscription fees.

If you're planning to fill your house with massive prints, or to sell some, it might be worth it to get a little more apparent detail out of the files.
2020-8-6
Use props
BostonMavic
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M4cr0s Posted at 8-6 23:08
No problem!

Another tip may be, if one find one find more resolution is needed. Topaz Gigapixel AI is the best upscaling software I've ever seen. In many cases substantially better than traditional upscaling with Photoshop and similar which just increases number of pixels. There are a few other softwares in the same vein of "smart" upscaling with different pricing models and business concepts. Gigapixel is fairly expensive at 99$. But, no subscription fees.

Thanks for the heads up, I will have a look at the Topaz software, funny you should mention that though because I’ve recently heard how good Topaz’s de-noise software is to.
I will have a look at there line up.
2020-8-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lovely work!
2020-9-24
Use props
Advanced