VOTE : Are you experiencing any heat issues on your device?
2403 14 2015-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

My iPad Air 2 heats up rapidly when the outside temp is over 80 deg's. It gets hot, even inside my house...
I am currently flying my P3A with the most up to date firmware on the Phantom and RC, and the pilot app from dji is also up to date. Once I start flying while in the shade for more then 10 minutes it starts to get hot. I made my own sunshade/hood for my iPad Air 2 it's even all white so it can reflect light, but it still does not help...

I also turn down the brightness on the iPad. And I enabled hardware decoding on the app.

I know that when an Apple/android device gets too hot it goes into a Thermal Shutdown, that wouldn't be good if your phantom is in the air...

Anybody else have problems with their device getting hot?

Single SelectVote, Total 71 people participate in voting View Poll participants
59.15% (42)
40.85% (29)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-6-19
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

My friends IPad Air 2 is also getting hot, he sits under a big tree that gives him lots of shade, and it's even cold outside and it still gets hot. He bought a small cooling fan and it kinda works for him....
2015-6-19
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

Oh and don't forget to shutdown all background apps and turn on airplane mode that helps too kinda.
2015-6-19
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Victor7k Posted at 2015-6-20 05:05
Oh and don't forget to shutdown all background apps and turn on airplane mode that helps too kinda.

I do all of that... I'm thinking about using a mini fan to coo it down.
2015-6-19
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

The mini fan still really didn't do as much, I think I'll shut off my iPad once in awhile after flying so it can cool off
2015-6-19
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

Sony Xperia Z3 with DJI Pilot v1.2.0 = Very hot and video lag
Nvidia Shield with DJI Pilot v1.1.0 = cool, no video lag

There is something problem with new (Android) app.
2015-6-20
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-6-20 17:12
Sony Xperia Z3 with DJI Pilot v1.2.0 = Very hot and video lag
Nvidia Shield with DJI Pilot v1.1.0 =  ...

I tried the Nvidia shield yesterday and it got hot too...
2015-6-20
Use props
jlarcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6827749 ft
  • >>>
United States

I carry ice packs and use them after it gets hot or between batteries. I live in AZ and it is still 100  at 12:00 AM. What were you saying about the heat?
2015-6-23
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Galaxy S5 is not having any heat issues for me
2015-6-24
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

sinbad_uk@ntlwo Posted at 2015-6-25 02:01
Galaxy S5 is not having any heat issues for me

My S5 goes into "cool down" mode every once in a while.  It horribly impacts control of the craft.  It doesn't fly off or anything like that, just hovers in place till I regain control. Sometimes having to shut down the app and restart it.  This has only been an issue on these 90+ days.  Still on last firmware too.
2015-6-24
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Two Snakes Posted at 2015-6-25 03:46
My S5 goes into "cool down" mode every once in a while.  It horribly impacts control of the craft. ...

I am just going of my own experience. I always reboot phone before flights and go straight to Airplane mode. I even have an app recording the DJI Pilots app and all is good. I live in the UK its very cool here it maybe a factor.
2015-6-24
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

I wonder if it's a bug in the firmware that is causing the heat issues, or is it that the app takes a lot of power to run?
2015-6-24
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

It's most definitely the app doing the majority of the heating, which in turn is exacerbated by the inability of the devices to get rid of the heat in higher ambient temperatures.

See my post at PP http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/too-hot-to-fly.45777/page-2#post-425785
2015-6-24
Use props
mfr1340
lvl.1

United States

My iPad mini 2 with a rugged case shut down after two 40% batt flights. I just put my 3rd batt in and started the P3A and was about to take off again and I got a excessive heat shut down. I quickly used the left stick to shut it down. I decided then to start using my iPad air2 without a case. It was great (with a sun shade) standing out in the middle of a base ball field. The iPad was fine even after three 40% batt use flights. The sun shade didn't do a good enough job. When I got home I ordered the new model sun shade for $13.00. It's a lot deeper. I also use a hole punch to put a hole in the sun shade so I can use the iPad's camera with the shade on.
I also lost signal on my first line of sight test at 780'. So I ordered the special signal booster for the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 for $25.00on E-Bay. It's should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
I also bought a black, foldable cloth box that goes to one of there storage cases. It was just $5.00 and I cut a piece of rubber/foam Matt to stick inside to keep it open. I can stick my IPad In it while it sits on its side and keep it all dark and shaded. I will be all set up next time.
The only problem is I still have 23 more short 40% batt use flights till I finish the break in of three batteries.
I could also put a small fan inside the case to keep the air flow.
2015-7-25
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I have not noticed any over heating issues at all.  I have flown it in the middle of summer in hot temperatures and never had any issues.  I watch the temperature of the battery and they stay pretty cool for the flight.  As for my iPhone 14 Pro Max I am not having any issues with this either.  Last year when I was using my iPad mini 4 I never ran across any overheating issues either.
2023-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules