2060 18 2020-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Hi

Just posting this as I know some folks are curious about strobes, perhaps it will help someone.  I came from the Spark to the MA2, so as its about twice the size when unfolded, I was happy that it would be just that little bit larger in the sky. However, with aging eyes and varying contrasting backgrounds, its going to be small just a little later that it was with old Sparky!

With that in mind, I took the online advice of many and purchased some strobes.  In my case, the Firehouse Technology ARC 2's.  I had just one on the Spark, so I have now purchased two more (all three go on the MA2).  I can now say that it really does improve finding the bird in the sky when trying to maintain VLOS.  I made a short video today, which I will upload soon, (rural internet is too slow, city on Wednesday) so those speculating can see what its like on a day like today, where we are, its overcast and thunderstorms are looming.  I placed one on top for manned aircraft reference.

Here's a still from that flight, it may seem like a speck at 210 feet, but without it, the drone would disappear in the backdrop of the trees.  When flying on even brighter days, I still find it really helps extend my visual contact with the drone, I will sometimes place both on the rear of the drone, doubling the flash.  At dusk/in the dark,  these things are like little lightning bolts!

Arc at 210feet.jpg

Hope this helps the undecided.  Cheers.  Best to all.

2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing Northwood
2020-7-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing, I have two myself.
2020-7-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

thanks but we already knew.  and it goes a lot further than that even in the daytime up in the sky; up into those second set of clouds in your photo in the background.  red and green not so much but white for sure.

at night, I don't think you can fly further than you can see those strobes.

btw, you mentioned the eyesight but at 210 feet, pretty sure you can that drone with that background even with no strobe, no?  
2020-7-27
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

The Saint Posted at 7-27 16:27
thanks but we already knew.  and it goes a lot further than that even in the daytime up in the sky; up into those second set of clouds in your photo in the background.  red and green not so much but white for sure.

at night, I don't think you can fly further than you can see those strobes.

Well Roger Moore , <wink>

New people show up here all the time, I knew this long ago too, but why not try to help those folks?  As for the clouds, yes, that's really where I see my strobes pay off, the 210 foot thing, yes, I could easily still see the drone (not too elderly just yet), but try that at 600 or 1000 feet against a dark line of evergreens, thats where it will make a difference.  Not much point in flying the MA2 at night unless its low and urban. None of that around here.  Though we like to think we are urbane!

I was surprised at how well the red strobe worked, the white are so bright, I thought it would be a fail, pleasant revelation.

2020-7-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you measured the decrease in top speed in S mode with these attached? It looks like on their web site that they are much wider than the arm on each side and that should make for more air resistance.
2020-7-27
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 19:19
Have you measured the decrease in top speed in S mode with these attached? It looks like on their web site that they are much wider than the arm on each side and that should make for more air resistance.

Interesting, no I hadn't so far, will check that out.  However, I rarely use S mode, though I suppose in an emergency to get back home it might have some bearing in fighting the wind.  Anorther metric to investigate next time I fly.  We've had two days of very strong winds, so I have grounded myself.
2020-7-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 19:19
Have you measured the decrease in top speed in S mode with these attached? It looks like on their web site that they are much wider than the arm on each side and that should make for more air resistance.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed and as you know, the ma2 is pretty quick in sport mode in it's lightest format.  I've attached 3 strobes and a locator beacon and to me, no change in speed.  the ma2 is still pretty awesome when it comes to fighting the wind, turning, and braking.  to be honest, an arc2 with 3d mount is a pretty light attachment and if positioned on the arm, there really should not be much resistance.
2020-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Being lightweight has nothing to do with this. It is about air resistance. I do not like the way these are designed to be much wider than the front of the arm. It would not be that hard to design some that are more linear (longer and narrower) and would provide a more aerodynamic profile while still using the same LED's.
2020-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Northwood. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued experience in using a strobe light on your DJI Drones. Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory for your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-7-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im not sure about the law in Canada but in the UK VLOS has to be unaided so binoculars and strobes don't count towards VLOS.
2020-7-29
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

Here's the short video as mentioned.  As for VLOS in Canada, you cant use binoculars but I dont believe there is any mention of strobes.  Will have to go and look again.

2020-7-29
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

The Saint Posted at 7-28 11:55
I haven't noticed any difference in speed and as you know, the ma2 is pretty quick in sport mode in it's lightest format.  I've attached 3 strobes and a locator beacon and to me, no change in speed.  the ma2 is still pretty awesome when it comes to fighting the wind, turning, and braking.  to be honest, an arc2 with 3d mount is a pretty light attachment and if positioned on the arm, there really should not be much resistance.

Agreed, so far, no perceptible change for me.  
2020-7-29
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 7-28 18:52
Being lightweight has nothing to do with this. It is about air resistance. I do not like the way these are designed to be much wider than the front of the arm. It would not be that hard to design some that are more linear (longer and narrower) and would provide a more aerodynamic profile while still using the same LED's.

Longer and narrower would make more sense... perhaps we will see a move in that direction as more and more drones use foldable legs.
2020-7-29
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-28 21:46
Hello there Northwood. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued experience in using a strobe light on your DJI Drones. Just a reminder that since this is a 3rd party accessory for your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

Thanks for your concern.
2020-7-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting the video. Now if you can do it again while flying against a bright Florida sunlit sky I would appreciate it ;-) I really need something to help me find it in the sky here, being over 70 and all. Doc says my eyes are 20:15 corrected but that doesn't help me in the bright sun. I would really like to add those but wonder about the performance sacrifices.
2020-7-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Northwood Posted at 7-29 18:51
Here's the short video as mentioned.  As for VLOS in Canada, you cant use binoculars but I dont believe there is any mention of strobes.  Will have to go and look again.

https://youtu.be/17OJs_row5s

excellent video, thanks for posting.  my same setup except I have green on front right and red on front left (with one white in back).  drone flying across the sky, I can tell which direction it is facing aside from movement when I see some red only...or green only..  also it looks like your strobe in not pointing straight ahead/behind but somewhat angled?  also I use the fast double flash (not the slow single flash) which to me makes it more noticeable.

still, for those watching, in person on site, the visibility is more apparent than what you see in the video.  even in daylight (sunny vs cloudy day), you can still see the white.  obviously green and red less visible but the idea is once you lock on, you can track that flashing light a bit better and if you look away, you're re-scanning for the light rather than a dark grey blob.

/s
as the drone flies from side to side, it appears to fly faster with strobes.  quickly flashing strobe lights make it appear to be flying quicker than it really is especially when the flashes are all out of sync and everything is flashing at once.  kinda like a police car with overheads flashing, looks like it is moving quickly even though it is slowing down at an intersection or even stopped, they just look fast.  but...when the drone is move towards or away from the flyer, the flash light never really gets tiny or goes out but steady, it looks like the drone is hovering even though it is moving away.  I followed the white light out for two miles and it never really got smaller and when I turned around on rth, I could see red and green but it didn't look like it was coming home (even though controls said so).  therefore your drone is slower.  this might be your "performance" hit.
/s

im a fan of strobes.  
2020-7-30
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks, I thought about doing the port/starboard thing with the lights, but was hoping to keep it to one per end, one on top.  So, as Doug requested, I will do another video to attempt to show that effectiveness at some altitude.  Interesting illusion you mentioned there Saint...    will be looking for that too.

Cheers
2020-7-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Northwood Posted at 7-29 18:55
Thanks for your concern.

Hi there Northwood. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules