Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 works...!
5664 21 2015-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quadifier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2664 ft
United States

I'd only had my P3P about 3 feet above ground hovering because my Droid bionic phone just couldn't play back the video signal in real time.  It was more like watching a photo montage...with the picture changing every 6 seconds.

So I went to Wally world this evening and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7".  I haven't wiped any of the factory apps (just in case I needed to take it back and exchange it for something different)...just installed the Pilot app.  The video playback is actually very good...with very little lag.  I'm figuring that if I wipe a bunch of needless stuff off of it...it will work that much better.  It has Android 4.4.2 on it.

I received the P3P this past Tuesday...but it's been raining here most all the time since then...so haven't had a chance to get it out.  It came with FW 1.1.9 on it...and I haven't updated it.  Been reading too much bad problems with 1.2.6 so I stayed with what was on it for the time being.

Just flew around fairly close...checked out the top of the house...etc.  But it did seem to behave quite nicely, response was great when moving the sticks.  I'm anxious to give it a real workout tomorrow.

2015-6-19
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

FYI: the tab 4 8" works well as well..  And I've got all sorts of junk apps on mine. :-)

I do turn off the wifi, and close anything else running in the foreground though.

(That was 1.1.0 though, updated to 1.2.0 after my last flight today, and 1.2.8 firmware (P3A, not pro) so might be a different story when I try it tomorrow. )
2015-6-19
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too use a Tab 4  8" tab for my monitor. Works fine, and I haven't tried turning off the radios to see it that might clear up some jello and other issues on videos. The gimbal overheating warning is most puzzling with the newest firm wear update, but it has nothing to do with the Tab 4 I'm sure. Good thoughts on being sure everything else on the Tab is shut down.. Thanks.
2015-6-21
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

I use a Tab 4 7" as well. I bought it strictly for use on the P3 remote so i disabled everything I could. I have no issue with the performance though there is a slight video lag. I used the wifes new iPad air for comparison and wasn't able to to see much difference with the lag. The iOS version of the app does have a couple extra features the android version doesnt. Hopefully both apps will be the same at a later time. The Tab costs less that half of what an iPad costs here.
2015-6-21
Use props
nr.kyborg
lvl.3

Denmark

works with Galaxy tab 3 10.1 PRO version also
2015-6-21
Use props
skyhawkvideos
lvl.2

United States

Mines didn't work for a couple of month. Yesterday, I downloaded the app from the DJI Website and NOT GOOGLE PLAY STORE!!!..as before and it now work perfectly.
2015-6-21
Use props
flyingviking
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151693 ft
Canada

My samsung tab 3 7" works good also. Just killed all the other apps running. I also use this tablet for my marine chart on on my boat. Works great.
2015-6-25
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

I also have a tab 4 8" which works great.  Download the free 'cleaner' app and run it prior to firing up the pilot app. My only complaint is I wish I could get it to run off the micro sd card instead of the internal memory.
2015-6-25
Use props
spencer_hamons
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292208 ft
United States

I run mine with a Tab 4 10.1" (Samsung SM-T530NU).  It is a tight fit into the holder, but it does fit snugly. To make it work properly (ie - centered in the holder), you have to use a Dremel or something similar to get the wire to fit into the bottom mounted USB port on the device (picture below).  

As for performance, I use my tablet for every day use at work as well as for flying, and it seems to work fine. I have the 16gb version, with a 64gb microSD for additional storage.

I do wish the holder included with the Phantom 3 Professional was about 1/8" taller when opened, as the device would fit perfectly.  Right now, you have to force it into the holder slightly to get it in there, but once you have done it a few times, it pops right in.

Hope this helps with anyone else looking to use a 10" tablet.

Samsung Tablet on Controller.jpg

Making USB Cable Fit with Samsung 10 inch tablet.jpg

Spencer Hamons
Angel Fire, NM
2015-9-10
Use props
kennedyjp
lvl.1

United States

Hi Folks, I am using a Tab 4 Model # SM-T330NU. When I start the controller followed by the bird the only thing I get is the page in the DJI-GO ap is the one that has the instructions on how to start it. I have followed those instructions several times but never get to the the camera view screen. I have tried the downloads direct from the DJI site as the Play store but nothing seems to work. It works fine on my Samsung S-5 however. I have shut off all other programs running on the Tab 4 along with WIFI as I see most have suggested. I am stumped. Help !!!
2015-9-29
Use props
Quadifier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2664 ft
United States

Have you turned on Debugging mode?
2015-9-29
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeah, amazing how well they work in spite of not being on the official DJI "compatible" list!

I borrowed a Galaxy 4 tablet when I first got my P3P because my iPhone 4 was not going to cut it and I wasn't sure what tablet to get.  Worked so well I ended up buying my own 8 inch Tab 4 (model SM-T337v -- wi-fi and cellular)   Mine just got an update last night to Android 5.1.1
2015-9-29
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Cool beans, yeah my Tab 4 seems to be working great now with the latest firmware and app.  Very pleased with the preformance.  Dedicated for auv activity.  Cleaned mist stuff of it.  Have a cleaning app that I use to clean things up and free memory before I activate dji go app.  Turn off stuff like capturing vudeo on device (don't need) and BOOM all is good.  It was prone to the odd crash (aplucation ) with previous firmware and app.  So far so good.
2015-9-29
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Yeah same as happy out.  I Thaught I was going to have to invest in or Wat money on a very expensive ipad but no.  The Tab 4 seems to work great now with new firmware and app.  I too use a cleaner app before use.  Wiped unneeded apps and turned off some functionality such a capturing vidro on tab.  I made myself a homemade hood best thing ever.  Complete control and viability even on the brightest days.  Nice fix.  And pat on the back for they guys beavering away in dji.
2015-9-29
Use props
cathalspot
lvl.2

Ireland

Apologies for typos on phone very hard to se text as one writes
2015-9-29
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tab 4. I have used it for the Phantom vision plus, and the P3 Professional with minor issues.
I recommend that you keep the DJI "Cache" whatever that is clear, so the machine doesn't fill up and stop recording flight logs and the like. You do that from the app.
I don't keep the Wi-Fi off, but some say it helps.
Putting the tab on the holder was a pain in the buck teeth, but if you enlarge the slot at the bottom of the holder on the RC so the USB mini-plug will pass through it, you will find things balanced and fairly steady.
I also bought the holder extension from Amazon which slides onto the top of the holder neatly. It really helps keep things in order without bending the holder to make the Tab fit.
Good luck and remember this is a complicated machine so practice, practice, practice.
2015-9-29
Use props
kennedyjp
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the help and responses. Quadifier's suggestion worked. Enabled debugging on the Tab 4 and it works now.  Thanks
2015-9-30
Use props
F-4 Phantom guy
lvl.1

United States

kennedyjp Posted at 2015-10-1 03:39
Thanks for all the help and responses. Quadifier's suggestion worked. Enabled debugging on the Tab 4 ...

I now have upgraded to a Samsung 8" Tab A and so far it works as it should with DJI Go.
2015-10-6
Use props
Sadsack1949
New

United States

OK, I am a noob. I just bought a Tab 4 7". I get the message that my device is not compatable with DJI Go. I read on here that one should download the app directly from the DJI website. I have looked all over the place and cannot find where you can down load the App other than going to Google play. If any of you have any advise, i would appreciate it.
Thank you
2016-1-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Sadsack1949 Posted at 2016-1-10 22:47
OK, I am a noob. I just bought a Tab 4 7". I get the message that my device is not compatable with D ...

You need to go into your settings and check the box that allows downloading your apps from other (or unknown) sources. It will ask are you sure because this is not secure. Select yes, you are sure. After that go to the DJI download page and download the Go App and install it.
2016-1-10
Use props
Sadsack1949
New

United States

gas.tube Posted at 2016-1-11 00:10
You need to go into your settings and check the box that allows downloading your apps from other ( ...

Thanks so very much. That did the trick. You see I'm an old guy and we old folks need help from time toi time understanding this new-fangled machines...
Thanks again!
2016-1-13
Use props
cjwill123
New

United States

kennedyjp Posted at 2015-9-29 16:59
Hi Folks, I am using a Tab 4 Model # SM-T330NU. When I start the controller followed by the bird the ...

have you done the updates on the TAB-4?
2016-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules