Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Monmouth and Ocean Counties NJ
5031 9 2015-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nickcmartin88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 575144 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone in Monmouth and Ocean Counties have Phantoms ?  I have a Vision Plus+ and P3 Professional.  New to Phantoms but experience with many drones last 18 months.  Anyone in the area care to fly/share more good areas to fly and get great shots?  
2015-6-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

Hey wassap , ocean county banned the drones in on of there beaches !  Go to sandy hook it's a nice location and belmar but watch out for police they will play games with your head. Got a nice spot ?
2015-6-19
Use props
boisalten
lvl.4

Denmark

Hi folks :-)

Anyone from Denmark (Silkeborg)? Could be nice to see other Phantom pilots and share knowledge :-)

Regards Bo Jørgensen, Denmark
2015-6-21
Use props
apezz
Flight distance : 249915 ft
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-20 14:30
Hey wassap , ocean county banned the drones in on of there beaches !  Go to sandy hook it's a nice l ...

Do you have any suggestions on where to fly at Sandy hook? I would imagine over there it would be best either during the week or off season.
2015-6-26
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

apezz Posted at 2015-6-26 19:41
Do you have any suggestions on where to fly at Sandy hook? I would imagine over there it would be  ...

I found out that sandy hook is a no fly zone because it's part of the national parks, you can fly on the bottom edge by rt 36 but don't go in , I wanted to film my friend who kite surfs there but I guess not or if someone confirms otherwise, after July 4th you would get in trouble, so now or after Labor Day would be good to fly there.
2015-6-26
Use props
michaeldanila
lvl.1
United States

I live in central Jersey and have found a lot of locations located by the Raritan Bay and the woodbridge area. There is a lot in North Jersey by the Livingston area. I made a dedication video for my grandmother who recently passed away, and it includes a few amazing locations to drone right here in New Jersey. Here is the link to the video with its description. Let me know what you think!

Description: This video is inspired by my grandmother who recently passed away. Ever since her passing, I've had the urge to find random beautiful and peaceful places in New Jersey to film. In a way, it was almost as if she wanted me to go to these places and have me see it through her own eyes. This is where the drone comes in. The perspective of the drone is used to depict her view from heaven.

2015-10-1
Use props
dmcclain1221
New

United States

I'm in Monmouth county. Bradley beach and neptune cops never give me a problem. Found a couple of good spots
2016-2-12
Use props
Ccgoodwrench

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-20 14:30
Hey wassap , ocean county banned the drones in on of there beaches !  Go to sandy hook it's a nice l ...

Is that true about the ban, Is it just the beach I was going to go their this weekend
2016-2-18
Use props
Lacy 1

United States

michaeldanila Posted at 2015-10-1 13:02
I live in central Jersey and have found a lot of locations located by the Raritan Bay and the woodbr ...

Beautiful film! I live in the woodbridge area and have a Phantom 3 standered which I just got. Would love to meet up with you to learn more about it or go fly. Hope to hear from you!
2016-8-28
Use props
Cobra_Commander
New

United States

I'm in Woodbridge Township.  I'm researching before I buy - most likely a Mavic Pro sometime in March.   The "where to fly" topic is a hot mess.  As of this posting there are no posted local drone regulations (bans) on the shore points that I would like to fly / record at.  A majority are in Monmouth County and include (from north to south):

Keansburg, Long Branch, Asbury Park, and Belmar

Ocean County is a different story - and I (would like) / (would've liked) to fly un-hassled at Point Pleasant and/or Seaside Heights, BUT...
According to posted literature from the Ocean County Parks and Recreation Dept.  (pg 23/38 - search term "drones"), you are only allowed to fly in "designated areas of parks property, and by Special Use Permit only".  What/Where those are, are not listed nor do I care enough to find out.  The closest I could come up with is a RC plane flight field maintained by Ocean County Modelers - a private RC plane club.  More on these clubs in a bit.

There may be ~limited~ hope for Seaside according to this  artile, where they plan to vote on limited number of allowable drones per day during the summer months - with an accompanying  fee.  Other parts of Ocean County such as Long Beach Township (LBI) have installed a flat out ban.

Upon reading the FAAs rules on sUAS, and the various literature on various county, township, city/borough town or campuses, regulating drone flight, I am noticing that the only places to fly "hassle free" are at RC flight fields.  BUT....

these fields are not all universally public - for some, you'll need to be a member of an RC club to fly at them and a portion of your yearly dues would go to the upkeep costs of the field.  Most clubs require you to abide by FAA regulations - which would mean registering your drone with the FAA online ($5).  Most would also require you to be a member of the Academy of American Aeronautics (AMA) with at least a Park Pilot Program level membership ($38) for insurance purposes.   The flight fields that ARE public have usually been setup by the county or the municipality - that's why I'm a bit curious to see if Ocean County has set something up and not relying on a private club.   Side note - it's important (and also your own responsibility) to know what type of park you intend to fly at; whether it be federal, state, county or municipal - so you can inquire at the appropriate governing branch if you are allowed to fly there.  And, of course, you'll most likely need to apply for a special permit for a small fee.   PRO TIP - There is a drone ban on all Federal Parks and all NJ State Parks.

@ Lacy 1:
As of this posting, I have not yet reached out to local municipality Parks & Recreation Depts. where I intend to fly - but have gathered contact information:
Woodbridge
Edison
Carteret

I intend to contact them and inquire if there are any local ordinances that apply to drone regulation in effect or have been proposed / up for vote .

I have contacted the head of Parks and Recreation for Middlesex county, but I'm hesitant to post my findings here - if only for selfish reasons.  

Interesting to note - Alvin P. Williams Park (where Woodbridge holds it's annual 4th of July fireworks)  is within Linden Airport's aerodrome (5 mile radius around the airport).   That means, that if there are no town restrictions, by FAA drone regulations you would still need to contact Linden Airport and notify them of your intent to fly.   They can advise, approve or disapprove, but they cannot prohibit you r flight - which means you can leave a message on their answering machine with the relevant information if you can't reach a live person.   Relevant information would be your FAA #, you intended flight location, time of intended flight, expected altitude of your flight, and your contact information.   It's also a good idea to give them at least a 3 hour notice if you get an answering machine to give them time to contact you back if they do have an advisory for the area.   Of course if they disapprove, you choose to fly anyway, and an areal accident occurs in the vicinity (even though you may not have been directly involved), you bet DOT and FAA will be knocking on your door.  

Speaking of FAA regulation in regards to Woodbridge Township, you'll have to ground your dreams of flying / capturing any outdoor town events as FAA forbids flying over large groups of people.  So... no St. Patrick's Day or Christmas parades, no Mayor's summer concert series or any of the gatherings / car shows they have on Main St.  

I hate to be the guy that rains on anyone's dreams of endless open sky for your flying robot, but I for one am not deterred by these regulations - at the moment the challenge of finding places to fly is almost as alluring as the promise to see just what's up there.  

WOW that sounds super cornball - but it's the truth.   
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules