Noise rain flicker issue
863 15 2020-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Hi All,

After a year of using my Mavic Air  (and only 5 opportunities to use it because of bad weather / NFZ / C-19  confinement), I just noticed a very annoying effect on my video  footage. It looks like a very light rain... After reading many posts  online, I believe it's related to a known 8-frame compression  "flickering" problem present in many DJI drones.
I would like your opinion on that and how to correct it if possible,  knowing that I don't use (and don't want to use) any video editing  software for that specific matter.

Here are the links of 2 recent videos where it shows the most :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/115f_1E6IHyIuxrBX1jzWhBrlxvigu4C2/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5Co2jpasNmByU0VI3aB3OO8SxXPv8Fh/view?usp=sharing

Here are my video manual settings : 4K at 30 fps, ISO 100, shutter 1/60,  style 0 / -1 / -1, D-Cinelike color, white balance manually set on  sunny, ND16 Polar Pro filter.

Thank you your help!

2020-8-2
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Any comment from a DJI moderator at least?
2020-8-3
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

What is meant by an annoying effect? I saw only glare of sunlight in the lens.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-8-4
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Don't you see the "rain" effect on the darker areas? I am not talking about some glare of sunlight in the lens, nor some very small flickering due to sharpness...
2020-8-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please refresh the firmware of the DJI Mavic Air using the DJI Assistant 2 and  after this step please reset the camera settings to isolate the issue, Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MacFarmer Posted at 8-4 05:17
Don't you see the "rain" effect on the darker areas? I am not talking about some glare of sunlight in the lens, nor some very small flickering due to sharpness...

You're welcome!
2020-8-4
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

A J Posted at 8-4 09:30
You're welcome!

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or you don't understand what I meant.
What you're pointing out in your video is little tiny flickers that are due to sharpness settings.
In the videos I posted, you can see that my issue is completely different. I literally have a shower of rain/sun/whatever on all dark areas.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MacFarmer Posted at 8-4 17:31
I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or you don't understand what I meant.
What you're pointing out in your video is little tiny flickers that are due to sharpness settings.
In the videos I posted, you can see that my issue is completely different. I literally have a shower of rain/sun/whatever on all dark areas.

Sarcastic - bye now!
2020-8-5
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Yes, I noticed the "rain". If you try to remove the ND16 Polar Pro filter - the picture will not improve?
2020-8-5
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Vofas Posted at 8-5 01:58
Yes, I noticed the "rain". If you try to remove the ND16 Polar Pro filter - the picture will not improve?

I tried, it doesn't change anything.
Same with different settings such as 2.7K at 60 fps, automatic white balance, style 0/0/0, no D-Cinelike.
2020-8-5
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

MacFarmer Posted at 8-5 04:37
I tried, it doesn't change anything.
Same with different settings such as 2.7K at 60 fps, automatic white balance, style 0/0/0, no D-Cinelike.

Believe it or not, I checked your files at home on 2 powerful workstations, and there is no "rain" on them. And on the office work computer - there is "rain".
2020-8-6
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Vofas Posted at 8-6 01:02
Believe it or not, I checked your files at home on 2 powerful workstations, and there is no "rain" on them. And on the office work computer - there is "rain".

I could understand it if I didn't have the same issue with the 2.7K video definition... although I didn't try with an even lower resolution.
I have to admit I am not highly equipped as a viewer with recent screens nor graphic cards. Didn't think the issue could come from rendering capacities.
Well, I am going to give it a try with a lower definition.
Thank you for this feedback, I keep you posted.
2020-8-6
Use props
DJ-MA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 127713 ft
Netherlands

I see no flickering or rain in the video (powerful pc) - didn't check frame-by-frame in some editor though
2020-8-6
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

MacFarmer Posted at 8-6 09:35
I could understand it if I didn't have the same issue with the 2.7K video definition... although I didn't try with an even lower resolution.
I have to admit I am not highly equipped as a viewer with recent screens nor graphic cards. Didn't think the issue could come from rendering capacities.
Well, I am going to give it a try with a lower definition.

I double-checked both files. I specifically launched them not with the help of the player, where any image enhancers can influence, but in the Adobe Premiere video editor. I did not notice anything, there are no artifacts.
2020-8-6
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Hi guys! I manage to check the videos on a more powerful computer and you were right: no flicker/artifact.
Weird thing though, I tried to record with FHD (1920 x 1080) at 60 fps, it still doesn't look good on my personal PC. While watching other FHD or 4K sources is not a problem at all.
Anyway, I am glad my Mavic Air doesn't have any malfunction.
Thanks a lot for your help!
2020-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules