Automatic flight using Google map
4846 8 2014-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
teletronic
New

Denmark

I am the happy owner of a Phantom 2 Vision +   Model no. PV331  S/N: PH645216235 V2.0
I purchased it two months ago and do flying almost every day.
I would like to program the Phantom to follow a given route using Google map.
Do I need special hardware and where can I download / buy the software needed.
Is there a manual you can download.
Best regards
Gearlos

2014-9-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The newest version of the app allows for waypoint flight.  Enable Ground Station in Settings.  Cache maps from where you are going to be flying while connected to the internet.  Have some fun.  You will have up to 16 waypoints.  
2014-9-20
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

I would only add that you make sure you are in an open area, and for your first flight I would stay around 5 to 10 ft. above the ground.  Also check out videos on YouTube or the DJI site for using ground control.

Also, I don't know if you this or not, but make sure you have a good home point, because if you have any issues, you can always tell it to "Go Home"

Look at a few videos maybe 2 or 3 time to make sure you understand what they are saying. Good luck, I know you can do it. Here is my first completed flight after testing, and I was still a little worry, but it made it back home.

As an aded note, please make sure you have done all of your firmwhere update, before takeing off.
2014-9-24
Use props
claytucker2
New

United States

curious . . . i know my m lite won't do it, but is there anything reasonably priced that can hit gps waypoints without communication with a ground station . . . my waypoints are 1/2 mile apart but 800 ft in elevation change and with timber over a 100 ft, ground station communication will be lost, however the new GPS units from garmin maintain perfect reception at all points, and the quad can maintain elevation where GPS would continue to work regardless.
2014-9-27
Use props
tmansonusa
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-9-21 10:32
The newest version of the app allows for waypoint flight.  Enable Ground Station in Settings.  Cache ...

Ed,
How do you cache a map, and do you need to specify the map resolution so that you can get a better resolution when you fly (or is it all the same file)?
2014-9-29
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Open up the app / software on a wifi connection. Point the map to the area that you will be flying at and around. I zoom in as much as I can around the location of the desired flight plan. This will cache the maps so you don't need a connection.
2014-9-29
Use props
carl.antonik
New

United States

As Blade said, open the app, get to the GS and zoom in.  from my limited experience (1 month), if your not going to have cell reception/wifi in the area that you will be flying you need to open the app and then zoom in on the area where you will be flying prior to loosing your cell/wifi reception.  The app will download the information for the area where you are zoomed into.  zoom out a little to insure you capture/download a wide enough area and don't close the app.   If you close the app the cached maps are lost and you will need to zoom in again and download.  As long as you have cell reception it's no big deal.   It would be nice for the next update for the app if they could allow saving different areas in a cache.
2014-10-6
Use props
rapserv
New

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-9-21 10:32
The newest version of the app allows for waypoint flight.  Enable Ground Station in Settings.  Cache ...

hi Tahoe_Ed,
interested in your post.  I have many google earth areas cached and use these regularly with google earth when no internet access is available.  Can I use these existing caches with Ground Station, or do I have to re-do these areas from within Ground Station?  If so, can I save these new caches to other flash media and import them back into GS when needed?
2015-1-5
Use props
bazhuty
New

Israel

Hi every one
Does anyone knows if it’s possible to upload Google’s mymap or if there is any way to customize and label the map
2015-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules