Questions on Batteries *See tech support answer*
630 15 2020-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Below what percentage do you have to go to, then charge to 100% and get an increase on the number of battery charges counter.  Also, in some earlier DJI batteries (I saw this doing a search), a cumulative to 70-80% would cause an increase on the counter.  For example, I fly to 65% and charge to 100% which wouldn't normally increase the counter.  Next time, I fly to 55% and charge to 100% which again would not normally increase the counter.  But cumulative, I've increased the charge 80%.  On some earlier batteries, that would increase the counter.  Anyone have any info on this for the MA2 battery???

2020-8-7
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I think you have to draw the battery down to 30% or less, which is the Low Battery Warning threshold by default, to get the charge counter to flip by one.
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Flycaster Posted at 8-7 08:44
I think you have to draw the battery down to 30% or less, which is the Low Battery Warning threshold by default, to get the charge counter to flip by one.

I thought I'd read 30% in another post weeks ago but wasn't sure.  Also, not sure about the cumulative over several rechargings.
2020-8-7
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

If you mean like, drawing down to 70 percent, charging, then drawing down to 60 percent, and charging, would that like increase by one count? I doubt it.
I think it's hard set 30 to 100 % charge count threshold....
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I just had a chat with Tech Support...not real productive...

•  Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
My name is Daniel.
How may I help you today?
•  Hi...my question is about the Mavic Air 2 battery. Below what percentage do you have to go to then recharge to 100% and get the number of charges counter to increase???
•  You can discharge it to 10% then you can recharge again to 100%
•  10:51
•  I have heard if you drop below 30% and then recharge to 100% that will increase the battery charge counter.
•  Yes, that's fine.
•  10:52
•  But what is the bottom number. I know if I only discharge to 65% and then recharge to 100% that will not increase the counter. What is the lowest percentage I need to go to???
•  It's 10%
•  10:54
•  So if I discharge to 15% and then charge to 100%, that will not increase the counter???
•  It's fine, as long as it's below 60%
•  10:56
•  Do you even know what the counter is??? When you check the battery status it tells you how many times the battery has been charged. This counter gives you an indication of how many charges the battery has had.
•  Yes.
•  10:58
•  So, you've told me 10%, 60%...what is the % I have to get below before the counter is going to increase??
•  It's 10% for the charge cycle.
•  11:00
•  Some earlier DJI batteries had a cumulative feature. I charge 35% one day, 55% the next...that totals 90%. Then the counter increases by one. Does the Mavic Air 2 battery do that???
•  11:03
•  Thank you for patiently waiting.
•  No problem
•  Thank you.
•  11:07
•  The Mavic Air 2 battery has the Auto-Discharging function, but users cannot set up the days before the battery starts to self-discharge if it is kept idle for a certain period of time.

After the battery is fully charged and been kept idle for one day, the battery level will automatically discharge to 96% so that the battery is protected. After the battery has been kept idle for five days, the battery level will discharge to 60%.

In regards to the specific question if the Mavic Air 2 has the same feature, we will need to check this further with our designated team. You will hear back from us via email once an update is available within 24 to 48 business hours.

For us to proceed, please provide the following information:

- Your full name:
- Email address:
- Serial Number of the battery:
- Firmware version of the drone:
- Mobile device used:
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I'll give you all an update when they get back to me.
2020-8-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 8-7 10:21
I'll give you all an update when they get back to me.

ofcourse important to know wich mobile device is used, and size shoes.....

cheers
JJB
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I finally got an answer back from tech support on the cumulative percentage of multiple battery charges that would trigger an increase on the battery charge counter:

This is Daniel from DJI Technical Support.

We already received an update about your inquiry with the charging cycle of the Mavic Air 2 battery.

The cumulative charge capacity of a battery is about 75% for one cycle.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for choosing DJI products.

Best Regards,

Daniel
DJI Customer Support
2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-7 08:48
I thought I'd read 30% in another post weeks ago but wasn't sure.  Also, not sure about the cumulative over several rechargings.

That was me who wrote it but on second thoughts that would mean if you flew your batteries down to 40% everytime you fly they will never show a recharge counter so I misread the manual. The 30% is what DJI advise to discharge the batteries down to as a minimum at least once every three months to maintain the long term health of the battery.

Good to know when the counter turns - 75% of one cycle sounds about right.
2020-8-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-11 08:56
That was me who wrote it but on second thoughts that would mean if you flew your batteries down to 40% everytime you fly they will never show a recharge counter so I misread the manual. The 30% is what DJI advise to discharge the batteries down to as a minimum at least once every three months to maintain the long term health of the battery.

Good to know when the counter turns - 75% of one cycle sounds about right.

The cumulative they're talking about is I charge the battery one day from 65% to 100% and then the next day from 60% to 100%...that total is 75% which then triggers a cycle on the counter.  If you read the chat, he keeps telling me from 100% you have to take it down below 10% and then recharge it to 100% to get one cycle recorded in a single recharging.  Seems kind of low to me but that's what he says.  In that case, the majority of my cycles will be from cumulative charges...not a single charge.
2020-8-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

It also would make sense that you could partially charge once from 60% to 90% and then from 45% to 90% which would total 75% and that would trigger one cycle.
2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-11 09:05
The cumulative they're talking about is I charge the battery one day from 65% to 100% and then the next day from 60% to 100%...that total is 75% which then triggers a cycle on the counter.  If you read the chat, he keeps telling me from 100% you have to take it down below 10% and then recharge it to 100% to get one cycle recorded in a single recharging.  Seems kind of low to me but that's what he says.  In that case, the majority of my cycles will be from cumulative charges...not a single charge.

That sounds more like it mate in terms of the cumulative total %

I never take my batteries below 15% and every time I recharge the counter increases by 1 so whoever advised that it needs to reach 10% requires more training lol
2020-8-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

To be honest, I've never looked at the amount of charge cycles my drone has. **Puts head in hand and wonders if that is a bad thing...
2020-8-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 8-11 10:10
To be honest, I've never looked at the amount of charge cycles my drone has. **Puts head in hand and wonders if that is a bad thing...

It allows you to keep track of how many cycles on each battery if you're trying to share the load between your batteries.  It also is a question asked often by potential buyers if you decide to sell your drone.  
2020-8-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-11 10:14
It allows you to keep track of how many cycles on each battery if you're trying to share the load between your batteries.  It also is a question asked often by potential buyers if you decide to sell your drone.

Yes, I know what it is, but I just haven't given it much thought and that's why I jokingly said I wonder if that is a bad thing. They way I fly would keep the cycles even on my batteries. I always make a day of flying and use all three batteries down to around 20% and then charge them up later all at the same time so the cycles should be the same on all three. For me, it's just something that doesn't come to mind because of my practices. I figure by the time I get ready to sell my drone, it probably wouldn't be worth much as I would have it worn out, LOL!!!

Keeping track does have its usefulness though, like you say, potential buyers may ask for such information and would be good to make an informed decision.
2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 8-11 10:20
Yes, I know what it is, but I just haven't given it much thought and that's why I jokingly said I wonder if that is a bad thing. They way I fly would keep the cycles even on my batteries. I always make a day of flying and use all three batteries down to around 20% and then charge them up later all at the same time so the cycles should be the same on all three. For me, it's just something that doesn't come to mind because of my practices. I figure by the time I get ready to sell my drone, it probably wouldn't be worth much as I would have it worn out, LOL!!!

Keeping track does have its usefulness though, like you say, potential buyers may ask for such information and would be good to make an informed decision.

Also note that the warranty on each battery is also dictated by the recharge cycles - once a battery has passed 200 the warranty is void against any defects - no matter how old it is.
2020-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules