Compass calib. failures
1098 5 2015-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Can't say (touch wood) that I've experienced any of the P3 horror stories (not that I've flown THAT much yet).

But I am noticing that CCs fail a significant portion of the time...I'd say about 50% of the time, whenever I am anywhere near anything that could be called "civilization." Are others finding that this is normal. I keep getting "safe to fly non GPS" or it will be safe for GPS for a short while and then back to non GPS when I next look.

It's not that I'm trying to fly in super built up areas, so this is surprising me a little bit. Think "town park" kind of thing.

2015-6-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RE: Compass calib. failures

The compass does seem to be more sentitive than previous Phantoms, but this is a good thing IMO.

I would advise you move from your "civilization" to do a good compass calibration. Most dont do a calibration "every" flight only if they move very far form their normal flying areas.

As for the Phantom giving you "safe to fly non GPS", what satellite count are you having? You say its a park, are you in shade of trees that might block good GPS acquisition? Does it stay in GPS mode when you are up in the air?

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack for the Phantom 3
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-21
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-21 17:53
The compass does seem to be more sentitive than previous Phantoms, but this is a good thing IMO.

I  ...

Am I missing something here. I thought you needed to do the rotating clockwise business before every flight? How does it establish the home point if you don't?
2015-6-21
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lightpanther Posted at 2015-6-22 11:29
Am I missing something here. I thought you needed to do the rotating clockwise business before eve ...

Homepoint is just its GPS lock. It will acquire this just sitting on the floor. The Pilot App will tell you when  its acquired.

The compass calibration is different. This is to program the Phantoms on board compass with valid data based on your location on earth. Once it has a good calibration it really does not need to be done again unless you move a significant distance from where it was done ( over 100 miles ).

Of course, doing it every flight is not going to harm it providing that it is done correctly and free from interference. You don't want to scrub a good calibration and replace it with a bad one do you?
2015-6-21
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-22 14:34
Homepoint is just its GPS lock. It will acquire this just sitting on the floor. The Pilot App will ...

Right. I'll certainly incorporate that info into my procedure.
2015-6-21
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

don't forget about the k index... its been high lately around my way (new england) that could cause GPS lost of signal
2015-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules