Brake/Bypass mode of Obstacle Avoidance (V0340 Firmware)
4621 13 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Flight distance : 6485269 ft
Taiwan

I used "Brake" mode of Obstacle Avoidance after updated Mavic Air 2 firmware to v0340 and updated DJI Fly to v1.1.6.    While I did ActiveTrack  (Orbit mode) and approaching a tree,  MA2 hovered as expected (but I lost control of MA2, I cannot pull up my MA2).  After 2 seconds hovering, MA2 crushed into the tree. It seems like a "Bug" of Obstacle Avoidance in the latest version of firmware/DJI Fly. Should  I use "Bypass" mode instead of "Brake" mode.  Any advice?   Also refer to the video  

Limitations ( After updated Mavic Air 2 firmware to v0340 and updated DJI Fly to v1.1.6)  1. Zoom function doesn't work with HDR mode. 2. If used "Brake" mode of Obstacle Avoidance on DJI Flay (v1.1.6), MA2 controller left / right functon would be disable.
* It would be running a high risk to lost control of left/right function after using  "Brake" or "Bypass mode of Obstacle Avoidance

https://youtu.be/I2ZlpBgjw44
2020-8-11
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Limitations ( After updated Mavic Air 2 firmware to v0340 and updated DJI Fly to v1.1.6)  1. Zoom function doesn't work with HDR mode. 2. If used "Brake" mode of Obstacle Avoidance on DJI Flay (v1.1.6), MA2 controller left / right functon would be disable.
* It would be running a high risk to lost control of left/right function after using  "Brake" or "Bypass mode of Obstacle Avoidance
2020-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-12 21:17
Limitations ( After updated Mavic Air 2 firmware to v0340 and updated DJI Fly to v1.1.6)  1. Zoom function doesn't work with HDR mode. 2. If used "Brake" mode of Obstacle Avoidance on DJI Flay (v1.1.6), MA2 controller left / right functon would be disable.

Brake mode is basically a new term for OA and bypass another term for APAS. The new flight assistance feature that prevents the drone being manually rolled i.e. flown left/right by the pilot using the RC sticks will only be enabled with in bypass tuned on.
2020-8-14
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 8-14 22:56
Brake mode is basically a new term for OA and bypass another term for APAS. The new flight assistance feature that prevents the drone being manually rolled i.e. flown left/right by the pilot using the RC sticks will only be enabled with in bypass tuned on.

This is my lesson learned:  I would rather turn off Obstacle Avoidance and get the controller Left/Right under my control in order to prevent this happening again.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-15 04:16
This is my lesson learned:  I would rather to turn off Obstacle Avoidance and get Left/Right under my control.

You can leave brake enabled with flight assistance disabled which is the same as what you just asked for. You do know that the new feature stopping the drone flying left/right is not obstacle avoidance right?
2020-8-15
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 8-15 04:19
You can leave brake enabled with flight assistance disabled which is the same as what you just asked for. You do know that the new feature stopping the drone flying left/right is not obstacle avoidance right?

No, I have proved that stopping the drone flying left/right is obstacle avoidance limitation on the remote controller and crashed into the tree. That's why I would rather turn off  obstacle avoidance in order to prevent this happening again.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-15 04:23
No, I have proved that stopping the drone flying left/right is obstacle avoidance limitation on the remote controller and crashed into the tree. That's why I would rather turn off  obstacle avoidance in order to prevent this happening again.

There is no obstacle avoidance sensors to the left or right of the drone - how do you expect it to see obstacles in that direction?
2020-8-15
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 8-15 04:42
There is no obstacle avoidance sensors to the left or right of the drone - how do you expect it to see obstacles in that direction?

Yes, I knew that There is no obstacle avoidance sensors to the left or right of the drone. This problem is that once turn on obstacle avoidance which would cause the controller left and right stick function disable LRButton0815.jpg
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-15 04:56
Yes, I knew that There is no obstacle avoidance sensors to the left or right of the drone. This problem is that once turn on obstacle avoidance which would cause the controller left and right stick function disable

Go into the safety options menu in the app and enable break. Disable flight assistance. Now the drone will avoid obstacles by stopping in its path in front and behind (not trying to fly around them) whilst you are still able to manually fly the drone using the sticks in any direction.
Note that obstacle avoidance does not work in Sport mode. To avoid obstacles and use the flight assistance feature the drone must have bypass enabled and be flying in normal mode only.
2020-8-15
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 8-15 04:59
Go into the safety options menu in the app and enable break. Disable flight assistance. Now the drone will avoid obstacles by stopping in its path in front and behind (not trying to fly around them) whilst you are still able to manually fly the drone using the sticks in any direction.
Note that obstacle avoidance does not work in Sport mode. To avoid obstacles and use the flight assistance feature the drone must have bypass enabled and be flying in normal mode only.

Thank you AJ.  I would try  the settings you suggested and prove if it works or not with my Mavic Air 2.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-15 05:04
Thank you AJ.  I would try  the settings you suggested and prove if it works or not with my Mavic Air 2.

Cool
2020-8-15
Use props
mavicair2tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Good morning !   I just test it and it works very well. Thanks for help !    Here is the footage I just  made :     

Have a nice day ^_^
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 8-15 17:37
Good morning !   I just test it and it works very well. Thanks for help !    Here is the footage I just  made :  https://youtu.be/gIZI6Pc4z1s   

Have a nice day ^_^

Good job
2020-8-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oops. That looks familiar?
2022-5-2
Use props