Catch the Fire Truck
788 20 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365233 ft
United States

Had the MA2 out yesterday testing the new features and was able to capture a fire truck enroute, tried to stay up with it but too fast.  This was in sports mode, still need to tweak the advanced gimbal settings, was trying to keep the fire truck in the center with smooth movements.

2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done
2020-8-11
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

I'd love to be able to make footage like that in the UK, but it's not possible within the regulations.
Are the drone laws more relaxed in the US?
2020-8-11
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
United States

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 8-11 07:53
I'd love to be able to make footage like that in the UK, but it's not possible within the regulations.

As far as I know there are not any restrictions on following emergency vehicles from a distance.  Definitely could be wrong, but I have never read any laws against it.
2020-8-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Nice footage and flying!!!
2020-8-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They are about the same - you just roll your dice and take your chances sometimes - otherwise you'll be recording cow fields forever.
2020-8-11
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Spotlight mode should have worked well for that, you would have done the flying and the MA2 would have kept the fire truck centered in the frame.
2020-8-11
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-11 08:25
Spotlight mode should have worked well for that, you would have done the flying and the MA2 would have kept the fire truck centered in the frame.

It happened too fast, I was going 40 mph in sports mode, couldn't flip to spotlight and still stay with the fire truck.  That said, I would like to try that next time.
2020-8-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Really cool video. I have to ask how far from your home point did the drone travel.
2020-8-11
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
United States

Visual Air Posted at 8-11 08:33
Really cool video. I have to ask how far from your home point did the drone travel.

Not too far, I was in an elevated position, doing my best to maintain VLOS, I believe it was 2,000'.  Had anti-collision lights on, which helps big time.
2020-8-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DukeNukemNY Posted at 8-11 07:58
As far as I know there are not any restrictions on following emergency vehicles from a distance.  Definitely could be wrong, but I have never read any laws against it.

sure there is no drone following emergency vehicle law, the distance applies to other vehicles following on the road.  however, one could make a case for general laws such as interfering or hindering or even make up something like tfr or rolling emergency scene....I don't agree with it but I can believe if an officer spotted a drone in tow.....

anyway I know you mentioned keeping fire truck in center but on some of those corners, I would have temporarily taken advantage by getting slightly ahead to make up ground later.  I always wanted to try this myself but haven't yet found a good opportunity; thanks for doing this, let us know what you find out.
2020-8-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DukeNukemNY Posted at 8-11 08:36
Not too far, I was in an elevated position, doing my best to maintain VLOS, I believe it was 2,000'.  Had anti-collision lights on, which helps big time.

Nice. I am really impressed with the range of this drone.
2020-8-11
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

DukeNukemNY Posted at 8-11 08:29
It happened too fast, I was going 40 mph in sports mode, couldn't flip to spotlight and still stay with the fire truck.  That said, I would like to try that next time.

Yeah, I realize that was completely unplanned and a split-second decision. Getting everything set up is much easier if you know ahead of time what's going to happen.
2020-8-11
Use props
DukeNukemNY
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-11 08:41
sure there is no drone following emergency vehicle law, the distance applies to other vehicles following on the road.  however, one could make a case for general laws such as interfering or hindering or even make up something like tfr or rolling emergency scene....I don't agree with it but I can believe if an officer spotted a drone in tow.....

anyway I know you mentioned keeping fire truck in center but on some of those corners, I would have temporarily taken advantage by getting slightly ahead to make up ground later.  I always wanted to try this myself but haven't yet found a good opportunity; thanks for doing this, let us know what you find out.

I don't disagree with a law or rule around following emergency vehicles, I was up at 360' FWIW.

In hindsight I would have definitely gotten ahead of the fire truck and cut those corners as you mentioned.  Also would have loved to flip the drone and shoot the fire truck in front of the drone, flying backwards.  
2020-8-11
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Well if you ignore flying over moving vehicles among others, then yeah I guess the US does have laxed regs.
2020-8-11
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Job. Very nicely done.
2020-8-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool footage,
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DukeNukemNY. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this cool video you have filmed using your DJI Mavic Air 2. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-8-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2020-8-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool footage.  MA2 is a great performer.
2020-8-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one!
Too bad we are not allowed to fly like this in NL.
(we are not allowed to fly over congested areas. )
2020-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules