Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3 gimbal modes demo.. Sorta. ish.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kiwichrish
lvl.4

New Zealand

First video clip on this video was shot during the test 1.2.8 flight this morning.  

I shot the other clip later in the afternoon after doing some shots of a friends property for them as a 'before' shot for some building work.

When I was looking through the footage I rememebered that I'd see the 'what's the difference' question asked on here..  Couldn't find it but edited up this clip and posted it to Youtube in case anyone wants it. ;-)

Both clips flowin in ATTI mode, first one with no wind, the second with a fairly stiff breeze as you can tell when I turn up wind at one point the P3 basically stops in it's tracks. :-)

2015-6-21
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Interesting video - your comments were enjoyable - love people with a sense of humor!
2015-6-21
Use props
challenger451
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the video.  I am new to my P3P and understanding each detail is important to me.  Knowing FPV  vs Follow adds to the experience.  

May the Force be with you.  
2015-6-21
Use props
llll
lvl.1

United States

Very helpful. Still trying to muster up the courage to spend much time flying ATTI... it's a bit like popping the training wheels off your kiddie bike, eh?

Oh, and thanks -- now that friggin' bagpipe tune is going to be the soundtrack for my next nightmare.
2015-6-21
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.4

You're welcome..  (for the music. :-) ).

If you're not comfortable in ATTI mode I'd suggest getting a cheap toy quad, like one of the WLToys ones and playing around with that at low altitude in back yard...  

Once you can keep that hovering over a spot in a light breeze, and fly nose in etc. You'll be able to fly the Phantom in your sleep! :-)

Most of the toy quads will take a beating a well, which of course the Phantom wont...  Much better to learn and crash with something that costs less than a couple of sets of props for the Phantom! :-)

Cheers, Chris H.
2015-6-21
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.4

Australia

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-6-22 06:30
You're welcome..  (for the music. :-) ).

If you're not comfortable in ATTI mode I'd suggest getting ...

@kiwichrish - Nice demo of the 2 different gimbal modes (and the written commentary lol)!  :-)

I'm in Australia but will be travelling to NZ in a few weeks and will be bringing my P3 with me - any tips for flying in NZ?  Will be travelling both North and South islands.  I presume the rules are the same there compared to Aus?
2015-6-21
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.4

New Zealand

Apparently not, I understand our rules are a little more easy to work with than in Aussie?

In a nutshell:  400ft altitude limit.  No flying at all with out air traffic control permission within 4k's of an airport (maps on site below) or above buildings/trees in controlled airspace without permission / or meeting some conditions.  (most of Christchurch and Auckland City is out due to that rule, but doesn't seem to stop people.  Hmmm.).  No flying over private property/people without permission/consent etc.  No Autonomous flight without CAA prior approval.  Line of site only. If flying FPV you need an observer.

There's some fiddly detail as well, but the rules are all changing on the 1st of August and I'm not 100% on the detail as I fly well outside any of the affected areas anyway....

I belong to a couple of Facebook groups that should keep me up to date, and subscribe to a newsletter of he local Airways corp (the folks who run air traffic control here) so I'm hoping that when the changes come along I'll get all the info I need via that.  I don't fly commercially so I'll just go with the flow.

A key part of the new regs here is going to be  http://www.airshare.co.nz which is being run by Airways and our Civil Aviation Authority.  The idea being that UAV pilots log flight plans in there, and you'll also be able to request access to restricted / controlled airspace via that site once things get going... The one thing that's not clear yet is what makes it a UAV flight, as opposed to a model aircraft, that will become clear when the new legislation is published nearer August 1.

Check out http://www.airshare.co.nz There are links to the regs and other information sites on there...  And before you ask.  Yes, they are intending hobby UAV fliers log their flights on that site as well, it's not just for commercial operators.

Hope you enjoy your visit...  There's some great scenery around the place.  I'll be doing the mackenzie country with my P3 in Spring, or at least that's the intention, and what I bought it for. :-)

Cheers, Chris H.
2015-6-22
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.4

New Zealand

Forgot..  The one other important one.  no flying at night, or the legal hours thereof...  30mins before/after sunset/sundown.
There have apparently been three prosecutions in NZ this year for folks flying near airports, and one for flying over a built up area.

(Some twat posted a youtube video of a 4k flight over CHCH city on his youtube account, bragging about 'being like a real plane'.  Duh)

Cheers, Chris H.
2015-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules