limitations in one situation
466 4 2020-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smirnoff9969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

last week I was hiking and find my self between 2 very high stone clifs. I wanted to filmed a pond but wasn`t able to calibrate compas (error) and only 5 satelites were available to connect.
so I didn`t pay much atterntion since it wasn`t gonna be long and far away flight.
drone took off normally but highest altitude was only 10m until I got message (high alttitude reached) and drone couldn`t go any higher.
it wasn`t bother me anymore because rain started and I ended my flight.

so my question is - if the are only 5 (or less satelites) compas calibration is not possible?  what about altitude? what is referent point that drone can calculate altitude correctly?

2020-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

so my question is - if the are only 5 (or less satelites) compas calibration is not possible?
GPS has nothing at all to do with the compass.
You can calibrate the compass with zero satellites.
But why did you want to calibrate the compass?

what about altitude? what is referent point that drone can calculate altitude correctly?
Your drone can measure altitude at any point.
But here's the section of the manual that explains what you ran into.
It's on page 57
   Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
   Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

If you fly in an area with a poor sky view, you won't have as many satellites.
If you fly in a narrow canyon, you probably won't have enough sats for GPS and will be in atti mode with no position holding and no brakes.

If you have no GPS your altitude is restricted to 30m above launch point if you switch off the VPS
If you have no GPS your altitude is restricted to 5m above launch point if you leave  on .. or if you descend and the VPS can read the ground, that limit is above the ground.

2020-8-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

1) compass calibration has nothing to do with satellites.
2) Without enough sats to get a gps lock, drone will go into OPTI or ATTI. Height limits is 5 or 30 meters measured from takeoff point. READ the manual.
3) At takeoff baro height is set to zero, this is your reference height for your flight. (so it can go into postive numbers or negative numbers)

If your drone ask for a calibration, just do that. Go flying for a flight is not a clever thing to do, a risk for fly-aways....

My advise it to read and understand the manual, watch many YT video`s about flying drones.

cheers
JJB
2020-8-16
Use props
smirnoff9969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

Labroides Posted at 8-16 07:51
so my question is - if the are only 5 (or less satelites) compas calibration is not possible?
GPS has nothing at all to do with the compass.
You can calibrate the compass with zero satellites.

thanks for reply.
1 - I wanted to do compas for home point setting to be recorded.
2 - I always wait for home ponit settnigs to avoid flyaways
3 - I understand that poor satelite GPS reception will change flying to OPTI mod.

4 - never mind.  obviously it`s better not to ask anythnig cause other people makes you stupid just for asking.
2020-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

smirnoff9969 Posted at 8-16 08:37
thanks for reply.
2 - I always wait for home ponit settnigs to avoid flyaways

Home point recording has nothing to do with compass calibration
I haven't ever calibrated the compass in my drone in 3.5 years of flying and it flies perfectly and records its homepoint correctly each flight.

4 - never mind.  obviously it`s better not to ask anythnig cause other people makes you stupid just for asking.

Only if you want to keep making the same mistakes and don't want to learn.
2020-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules