My Mavic 2 giving me false exposure readout! Need help!!
403 7 2020-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kirstinriga
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2677 ft
Australia

Hello,

My drone is going crazy... Basically, what is happening is set the exposure correctly depending on the light of the day, using PolarPro filters if needed but my drone is giving me inaccurate exposure.

For example, today I turned the drone on, put a 16 stop filter on because I am in Australia and it is extremely light outside. It was midday and the footage looked like I tried to take it in almost pitch black... During midday and with a 16 stop filter! Then I tried other filters on. I put on the original Hasselblad filter the drone comes with and the majority of the footage was blown out, which makes sense and should have been a correct readout. After that I tried an 8 stop filter and again the footage was very dark. Then, out of curiosity, I tried the original Hasselblad filter yet again and the footage was almost correctly exposed. Just a tad too dark.

So that means the filters are working fine. I called DJI as well and they advised to reset camera settings, which I did and it did not help. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Regards!
2020-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you also adjusting the aperture and shutter?
2020-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Not enough detail here..
Are you on manual or auto exposure?  What are you trying to do?

If its manual exposure then obviously sticking an ND16 on it is going to make everything very dark if you dont change it...  Its sounding like you have manual exposure and simply arent adjusting it.
2020-8-17
Use props
kirstinriga
lvl.1
Australia

I shoot manual and adjust my settings accordingly. I have been flying for a year and I do photography so I know how to adjust my settings for a good exposure. I'll give some example photos. In the first photos I used the Hasselblad filter and I think it gave me a correct exposure readout but as you can see I was a bit overexposed so I put on ND4 and you can see it is wayyy too dark when it shouldn't be. In that scenario ND4 should have worked. As you can see from the photos the foreground is completely crushed and it shouldn't be. It was still very light outside. I can tell you exactly that the problem is not how I have set the settings. Here's why, if I would put on let's say an ND4 filter and get a whatever readout then after turning the drone on and off it would give me another readout. And that is within 1 minute, without the drone moving a centimeter. Same light, same settings, same everything and it would still give me another exposure.
D57702ED-B3A7-49C1-B770-22E101B02BB8.jpeg
4C1B9DD0-E740-4836-A6A4-D282B6590DF2.jpeg
76E50F88-5B45-4620-9FBB-305B6685B746.jpeg
B2834FEC-868D-43AF-B53D-404385DC11AC.jpeg
2020-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Still cant work out what is what from the images.
Its shooting directly into bright light so the dynamic range on that scene is absolutely huge - way more than the mavic 2 can handle.  If you expose for the sky the foreground is going to be heavily under exposed. 5-6 stops maybe.
2020-8-17
Use props
kirstinriga
lvl.1
Australia

I was not shooting right into the sun there and with an ND4 it should have looked more or less perfectly exposed. I have flown this drone long enough to know how it should work and I am telling you it's not giving me the right readout. For instance, here's an older footage which has been exposed properly, when my drone was still working fine, using filters. It's obviously shot in raw and d-log to get the best dynamic range and quality. I will attach just a screen shot of the footage since the file format is not supported.
C076F14D-851E-48DE-A279-A76E623322C3.png
2020-8-18
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Its a very bright sky in the original photos.  Its shooting into a backlit situation.
The histogram alone shows 4-5 stops difference at least for that type of scene.  In the 2nd photo the sky is exposed and therefore, by default, the previously exposed foreground is darkened by that amount.

Simple way to test the filter, put the camera on auto, zero any potential EV bias.

Without taking off, point it at a neutral scene (sun behind or cloudy day whatever) and make a note of the exposure settings.
Then stick the suspect filter on, let the camera adjust and look a the settings.  Then you'll see just how many stops the filter is blocking.
Then you can see if the claim of the filter is correct or not.

All im seeing is foreground v background exposure on a shot thats simply got too much dynamic range for the sensor to begin to cope with unless there are better side by side examples not posted.
2020-8-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. As Dirty Bird advised at post #4 please reset the camera to default. After this step please try following the step provided by gnirtS at post #8 to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules