P4 Not Returning Home
930 8 2020-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
balonny
lvl.1

United States

Hello All,

I am running the latest version of everything on my P4 standard.

Whenever I issue an RTH command it raises to the max altitude (of the drone, higher than what I set in the app), and then just stops at the 400ft. It does not return home, it just says max altitude reached. I have tried different mobile devices and I have issued the command from both the app and from the controller it self, same exact behavior everytime. I set the RTH altitude to 200ft, and it goes up to the 400ft and just stopped.

What should I do to fix this issue? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Have a nice week,
balonny
2020-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What should I do to fix this issue?
Find out what the cause is.
To do that post the recorded flight data and someone might be able to find the problem and give you some pointers.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2020-8-17
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Balonny. Did you set the drone to Return to Home? There are 3 different reactions the drone will perform when losing signal etc, so you need to set it (if you haven't already) by going into General Settings > drone > scroll to bottom, Advanced Settings > scroll down to RC Signal Lost. lf the blue box says "Hover" change it to Return to Home. lf it already says RTH then you have a problem.
2020-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CapitAn Posted at 8-17 18:29
Hi Balonny. Did you set the drone to Return to Home? There are 3 different reactions the drone will perform when losing signal etc, so you need to set it (if you haven't already) by going into General Settings > drone > scroll to bottom, Advanced Settings > scroll down to RC Signal Lost. lf the blue box says "Hover" change it to Return to Home. lf it already says RTH then you have a problem.

Hi An ... those settings are for what happens when the drone loses signal, but they don't affect what happens when you press the RTH button.
His drone is starting to follow the RTH process but something is getting in th way.
If he posts flight data I can probably find the cause.
2020-8-17
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Labroides Posted at 8-17 19:32
Hi An ... those settings are for what happens when the drone loses signal, but they don't affect what happens when you press the RTH button.
His drone is starting to follow the RTH process but something is getting in th way.
If he posts flight data I can probably find the cause.

Ah, good to know. Thank you
l've been out of touch with droning for a few years, l need to catch up.
2020-8-17
Use props
balonny
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 8-17 17:38
What should I do to fix this issue?
Find out what the cause is.
To do that post the recorded flight data and someone might be able to find the problem and give you some pointers.

Hi Labroides, thanks for the tip.

Here is a link to the log from today. I had to delete the app a couple days ago so this is the only instance I have.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X2B1UVJMSD5QTL3DEAS5

It actually broke the 400ft ceiling cap and kept going up. I eventually stopped it due to legal and safety reasons.

Thanks,
balonny
2020-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

balonny Posted at 8-18 10:33
Hi Labroides, thanks for the tip.

Here is a link to the log from today. I had to delete the app a couple days ago so this is the only instance I have.

Here's the solution to the mystery.
Your drone is fine.

Your RTH height was set to 66 feet.
Your Phantom was at 126 feet when you initiated RTH at 1:14.1.
It was facing North and started to turn clockwise toward the home point.
When it was facing 29° there was a message to say that it was Braking to avoid obstacle and it started climbing, reaching 473 feet before you cancelled RTH and brought it home manually.

The drone was reacting to a bright light which it took to be an obstacle and was trying to climb past the obstacle.
It was probably a low, bright sun.
The problem was easily avoided by flying in a slightly different direction and could also have been solved by disabling the obstacle avoidance sensors,
2020-8-18
Use props
balonny
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 8-18 15:40
Here's the solution to the mystery.
Your drone is fine.

Thank you so much for the insight.

I was flying around 1pm on a cloudy day today, so it’s strange that it would mistake that for an obstacle, and the fact that it has happened many times.

Anyway, I’ll just turn off avoidance if I am ever doing a long distance flight where i might lose connection and need RTH.

Thanks again!
2020-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

balonny Posted at 8-18 15:50
Thank you so much for the insight.

I was flying around 1pm on a cloudy day today, so it’s strange that it would mistake that for an obstacle, and the fact that it has happened many times.

If you are flying where there are no obstacles to worry about, you can use the extra speed you get by turning OA off too.
2020-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules