Phantom 3 P Lens Distortion.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I am primarily a stills photographer, and quickly realised that the Phantom 3P camera was displaying an S shaped wavy horizon on my still photgraphs.  This type of distortion is virtually impossible to remove as the horizon rises and falls across the frame.  I was more than a litlle disapointed, although viewers of my pictures did not actually notice until I pointed this distortion out.  So when the latest firmware update was issued which claimed to clear the lens distortion I was very excited.  I updated both the controller and the P3 and got positive text reports that both had been succesful.  So I went flying again.  I did notice that the P3 was not quite so aggressive when manouvering, especially noticeable when stopping, so the control responses felt a little "soft" and P3 would continue in same direction for a second or more, not stopping immediately as I seemed to have remembered before update.
But the camera lens distortion was completely cured.  Beautiful ruler straight horizons.  Thanks DJI for the reprogramming of this aspect of the P3.  I have not seen any post regarding this.  Has anyone else noticed either the distortion or the cured upgrade ?

Also on a BBC UK television program on Sunday evening, a P3 was featured very positively.  During a nature and wildlife program called "Countryfile" a group of people were trying to count the amount of sea birds in a colony on a 600 feet high vertical cliff.  They estimated 50,000.  To aid this mammoth task of counting they launched a P3 from a small boat in the sea at the base of the cliffs to photograph and video the cliffs and nests in order to count them more accurately in a studio.  They explained that if the P3 was disturbing the birds and if there was any danger of it driving the birds from their nests, the flight would be stopped immediately.  But there was no evidence of any disturbance and the video and photo capture continued.  The pilot expertly caught the P3 when it came in to land again on the boat.  Maybe DJI should publicise this positive result on their site somewhere.

2015-6-28
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

Hi liningiv,

Have you tested if the "lens distortion" has been "corrected" in both JPEGs and DNGs?

Thanks

Isaac
2015-6-28
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

No,
But why would it be different?
Or maybe you know something different?
2015-6-28
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

lens distortion is corrected only in jpg file.
dng stays untouched - that's why it is called raw file ;)
2015-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules