Mavic Air 2 range test over city under heavy interference - no sweat
4929 28 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Korrd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13270226 ft
Argentina

I recently got a Mavic Air 2. After building confidence  with it, I decided to attempt a long range test over my home city to  see how well it can perform on a high interference environment. I  managed to do 5 kilometres so far. I am amazed at how much better it is  compared to my mini. It just blows it out of the water. The mini can do  1km with yagis while maintaining a stable connection, and 2km at most  without video link. This thing did 5k no sweat, and I stopped there as  there was some headwind on the way back and I was not sure what to  expect battery-wise.

Here is the resulting video. Enjoy.

2020-9-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Very nice, Yup people are really pushing these drones.
2020-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is a very impressive drone. Fly safe.
2020-9-14
Use props
djiuser_dap4c7MfBeS2
lvl.3

Germany

This is very impressive but in Europe impossible,  max. high ca. 100-120 m and you may only fly as far as you can see your drone!
In most towns in Germany  it's forbidden to fly.

dirkbertie
2020-9-14
Use props
djiuser_a4EPIA5HvVWi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 409308 ft
Czechia

djiuser_dap4c7MfBeS2 Posted at 9-14 02:24
This is very impressive but in Europe impossible,  max. high ca. 100-120 m and you may only fly as far as you can see your drone!
In most towns in Germany  it's forbidden to fly.

My record 7017m over the city - would go further but no battery (ce version in fcc mode). Had as well mini before max 1km
2020-9-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done.
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Korrd. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and this video with us. Kindly please fly youir DJI Drones in an open space away from any possible interference since the location that you are flying might have WiFi interference. Strong magnetic interference might cause some disconnection issues. In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

2020-9-14
Use props
djiuser_4VHidbpcHn2L
lvl.1

Ireland

Hey there. I also have mavic air 2. but when i fly in my city it only flyes 700m . CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE>#? thanks
2020-9-28
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

This is a BIG city.
2020-9-28
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

You are making me jealous.  I have a Mini and in the area around my house, I often can't get more than a couple hundreds meters in some directions.  My record was about 1,300 meters.
Last year a friend brought his Mavic 2 Pro over to my house so I have seen first hand how much the Occusync works...
2020-9-28
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

5030 meters or 3.125 miles. Incredible with a stock transmitter in such a noisy environment.
2020-9-28
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

K6CCC Posted at 9-28 13:37
You are making me jealous.  I have a Mini and in the area around my house, I often can't get more than a couple hundreds meters in some directions.  My record was about 1,300 meters.
Last year a friend brought his Mavic 2 Pro over to my house so I have seen first hand how much the Occusync works...

Don't be. My mini cannot do more than 700m or so before getting choppy video. While I can go further than that if I pre-plan my flight and fly by map, it's just not workable if you want to do serious video'ing.

The Air2, on the other side, is amazing. I still can't believe it can go so far. I'm dying to try going further, but winds have been strong during my free time these weeks, and I'm still waiting for proper weather to do so. Although I've been thinking that I could get longer range if I fly against the wind at low altitude on the outbound leg of the journey, and high with the wind on the inbound leg of the trip. It should allow me to come back from further away with less battery. But I need to do some testing first and build confidence on the technique before risking it.
2020-9-28
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Korrd Posted at 9-28 14:46
Don't be. My mini cannot do more than 700m or so before getting choppy video. While I can go further than that if I pre-plan my flight and fly by map, it's just not workable if you want to do serious video'ing.

The Air2, on the other side, is amazing. I still can't believe it can go so far. I'm dying to try going further, but winds have been strong during my free time these weeks, and I'm still waiting for proper weather to do so. Although I've been thinking that I could get longer range if I fly against the wind at low altitude on the outbound leg of the journey, and high with the wind on the inbound leg of the trip. It should allow me to come back from further away with less battery. But I need to do some testing first and build confidence on the technique before risking it.

I'm being a little tongue in cheek

Seriously, If somewhere down the road I decide to upgrade, it will be to something with Occusync.  If it was today, it would most likely be a Mavic Air 2.  I'm sorta waiting to see if / when DJI comes out with the Mavic 3 Pro.  Hopefully they will bring out the best of the M2P and the MA2...

On the other hand, the primary reason I bought a drone in the first place will have me flying less than 100 feet away from where I am controlling it.
2020-9-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never seen a city with a coordinated building color scheme: brown and white. Good for them.
2020-9-28
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

It's very interesting, really!

You have an FCC version of the MA2, right?     

2020-9-28
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I was surprised that the remaining time (at about 1:16) increased to over 30 minutes, with a remaining capacity of 93%.
You probably flown "with the wind" ...? (... I can see ...)
2020-9-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

frankymusik Posted at 9-28 23:25

there's no such thing (with regards to the transmission system), they are identical from a hardware perspective. The power output is controlled from the software.
This is my record with a CE model (flying in FCC mode)

IMG_0911.jpeg
2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 9-29 02:15
there's no such thing (with regards to the transmission system), they are identical from a hardware perspective. The power output is controlled from the software.
This is my record with a CE model (flying in FCC mode)

I should have written:

You were in a FCC region, right?
2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

You were in a FCC region, right?
2020-9-29
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-14 21:10
Hello there Korrd. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and this video with us. Kindly please fly youir DJI Drones in an open space away from any possible interference since the location that you are flying might have WiFi interference. Strong magnetic interference might cause some disconnection issues. In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Is my understanding that the MA2 remote control antenna is directional. You need to point the end of the antenna (plastic base) to the aircraft.

So the tutorial does not apply to the Mavic Air 2.
2020-9-29
Use props
atsepkov
lvl.1
Flight distance : 412802 ft
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 9-29 05:05
Is my understanding that the MA2 remote control antenna is directional. You need to point the end of the antenna (plastic base) to the aircraft.

Do you mean the black plastic part of the base holding the phone from the top or the back of the controller (such that I'm tilting the phone screen towards the ground)? Because just turning towards the drone itself with the controller did not seem to give me better range than what the other poster suggested (~3000 feet) unless I'm standing in a mile-long field with no buildings or trees. Granted, I can't raise the drone higher than 400 feet here due to FAA regulations (which is a bit under half the height in the video posted here).
2020-9-29
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. Point the tip of the antenna to the Mavic Air 2.
2020-9-29
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Argentina

frankymusik Posted at 9-28 23:25
It's very interesting, really!

Yes, I do.

Also, in spite of not being in the USA, Argentina seems to be regarded as an FCC region.

Yeah. There was some wind helping me out. That's why the battery does not discharge at the same rate on inbound and outbound legs.
2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Korrd Posted at 9-29 06:44
Yes, I do.

Also, in spite of not being in the USA, Argentina seems to be regarded as an FCC region.

... I see!

Thank you for the additional explanations.   

2020-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ZeuS-FL Posted at 9-29 05:05

Hello there ZeuS-FL. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared. For the DJI Mavic Air 2 the signal between the drone and the remote controller is most reliable when the antennas are positioned in relation to the drone as depicted below. Thank you.

2020-9-30
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

wow.... scary! too high for my country regulation! only limit no more than 150 m!
if you in CE countries, then the signal power should be less, mean can not go to far compare to FCC.
2020-10-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

atsepkov Posted at 9-29 05:55
Do you mean the black plastic part of the base holding the phone from the top or the back of the controller (such that I'm tilting the phone screen towards the ground)? Because just turning towards the drone itself with the controller did not seem to give me better range than what the other poster suggested (~3000 feet) unless I'm standing in a mile-long field with no buildings or trees. Granted, I can't raise the drone higher than 400 feet here due to FAA regulations (which is a bit under half the height in the video posted here).

The top of the device holder on the stock MA2 RC is a patch antenna and this needs to be pointed directly at the drone. Unlike omni antennas which can be adjusted separately to the RC and recieve the signal from different angles, you need to physically tilt the remote to ensure the antenna is constantly in the direction of the drone as illustrated in post 26 from DJI Stephen. It is also important that there is a clear line of sight in the flight area between the RC and AC - any obstructions such as woodlands, buildings, tree lines may break or weaken the signal. With the RC pointing at the AC and with a clear LOS the MA2 is rated to 10KM in an FCC area and 6KM in CE.
2020-10-1
Use props
fans8b05aa8a
New

United States

I am in a heavy urban area I can’t get farther then 1500 feet. Do think something is wrong?
2021-8-17
Use props
Korrd
lvl.4
Uruguay

It depends on your RF environment, obstacles, and related. Maybe there's too much interference?
2021-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules