Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mt. St. Helens lost in Wildfire Smoke - Flying Drone in thick Smog
7182 28 2020-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Illuminations
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

The mountains lie hidden beneath a choking veil of toxic smoke that cloaks Mt. St. Helens as it does the entire West Coast of the United States. The dark forests and silent valleys are thick with the stench of millions of acres vanished in flame and burning ash. Even so many miles from the blazes that have torched Oregon, California, and Washington State the smog of these infernos has consumed the Pacific Northwest in its entirety. I flew my drone through this sickly stillness, driving ever higher into the mountains and launching from lofty viewpoints, but never could I rise above the haze and murk. I returned home stinking of smoke, having documented this historic catastrophe.
I really payed for this little adventure when I got home. My clothes absolutely reeked of smoke and my throat and lungs hurt despite having worn a mask. I'll definitely need to clean my Mavic 2 Pro out before I fly it again, but it was worth it to capture this footage. Fortunately the air is much improved this morning after a night of heavy rain, though air quality is still poor by comparison to pre-fire days.

I also created a bunch of aerial panoramas, which I've posted in a photo gallery on my blog: https://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2020/09/bridges-in-smoke-mt-st-helens-aerial.html
2020-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is a sad sight, but well captured!
2020-9-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

terrible scenes but captured really well - stay safe
2020-9-18
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you both!
2020-9-18
Use props
nevac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9776798 ft
Serbia

Fantastic shot!
2020-9-18
Use props
Planner68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1194662 ft
United States

Very well done and so eerie.
2020-9-18
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Apocalyptic!
2020-9-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work.
2020-9-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wow - sad but nicely documented.
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2020-9-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good grief what a catastrophe!  We in Europe read about it in the news, but nothing drives home the enormity and scale of the situation like your video. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. How true!  Thanks for the share.
2020-9-25
Use props
Tony Adam
lvl.1

United States

hello
2020-9-25
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4297572 ft
Denmark

Very interesting Video to watch. Here it really shows the problem with all the Fires, around.
2020-9-25
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

I appreciate your photo's. Pictures help people to understand, but no one can understand situations like this till they go through it. It was the same with my in-law's that were in the eye of hurricane Michael. What once was neighborhoods in a forest of trees, is now a neighborhood of of intense sun, in a desolation without trees. My friends that stayed through the storm, said they excepted the fact, that they were going to die. Fortunately, they didn't die, but went through years of content depression.  I have many before and after pictures, even some 360's photo's.
2020-9-25
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
Flight distance : 373002 ft
United States

Sad to see this but amazing footage
2020-9-25
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Love the sepia colour, nice one...
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_PwK7xRUgDIUo
New

United States

Despite the tragedy, you've produced a great piece of work
2020-9-27
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Toedles Posted at 9-26 20:55
Love the sepia colour, nice one...

If you meant that the Op added a Sepia filter, I don't think he did (cannot say definitely since I did not take the footage). However, that appears to be true color of that event. It's how it looked around my house near Seattle WA. The footage captures very well how the Sun looked. You could look directly at the Sun without problems and see only a dull colored disk. It was indeed very, very eerie.

OP: Good footage and thanks for the sacrifice. No way I was going to go out in that mess.
2020-10-1
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 10-1 12:59
If you meant that the Op added a Sepia filter, I don't think he did (cannot say definitely since I did not take the footage). However, that appears to be true color of that event. It's how it looked around my house near Seattle WA. The footage captures very well how the Sun looked. You could look directly at the Sun without problems and see only a dull colored disk. It was indeed very, very eerie.

OP: Good footage and thanks for the sacrifice. No way I was going to go out in that mess.

Nope, I didn't do any editing whatsoever to the footage!

Thanks to you and everyone else who commented - I'm glad to have made it through those horrible weeks, and I can only sympathize with everyone in California who is still enduring abysmal air quality.
2020-10-1
Use props
R.Bovensiep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189803 ft
United States

Wow, that's unbelievable...
2020-10-2
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

NightThunder Posted at 10-1 12:59
If you meant that the Op added a Sepia filter, I don't think he did (cannot say definitely since I did not take the footage). However, that appears to be true color of that event. It's how it looked around my house near Seattle WA. The footage captures very well how the Sun looked. You could look directly at the Sun without problems and see only a dull colored disk. It was indeed very, very eerie.

Impressive nevertheless.....
2020-10-2
Use props
GabrielLeo
lvl.1

Pakistan

Impressive one
2020-10-11
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I'm impressive I decided to stay grounded that week further south. Talk about memories of Mount St. Helens and the Sky turned Dark When it did it's thing back in May 1980.
Not sure if you remember that or learned of it.
The fires out west are fitting in for things happening in 2020 sad to say. Thanks for sharing.
2020-10-17
Use props
djiuser_8fx350CMoDeG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22001 ft
United Kingdom

Great shot
2020-10-18
Use props
MichiSTF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1463 ft
Italy

terrible scenery. nature can be so brutal. But really interesting footage
2020-11-1
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

Brave flying u did
2020-11-4
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

So sad to see, but thank you for your video journal of the tragic side of the event(s).  Hope you've now recovered your breath!
2020-12-23
Use props
BirdGirlDeb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10207 ft
United States

Breathtaking.  I was only 10 when I lived in Seattle in 1980.  I remember being so scared that day and wanted to go back home to Florida so bad (we did a year later)  Someday I will revisit to see her again.   thank you so much for this video.
2020-12-23
Use props
SHERLOCKHOLMES
lvl.4

India

Wow that's superb
2021-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules