Gimbal noises on startup
1168 12 2020-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OliverH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694413 ft
Japan

Hey I just picked up an osmo pocket a few weeks ago. I'm just now noticing that in between the normal knocks during the start up procedure I can hear a kind of rumble or grinding sound. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this?

I don't recall it making that sound when I first used it but I wasn't listening for it so probably missed it if it was there.

Thanks for your help
Oliver

2020-9-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

No, this is not normal. I would assume there is sand or small particles between the gap in gimbal motors.
2020-9-21
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Ah right. Thanks. That's interesting. I'm not sure how anything would have got inside though. It's never even left the house.
2020-9-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

OliverH Posted at 9-21 00:27
Ah right. Thanks. That's interesting. I'm not sure how anything would have got inside though. It's never even left the house.

Yes that does seem odd.
Have you tried to gently move the gimbals with it switched off to see if there is any roughness to the movement? It should be silky smooth with a hint of resistance to movement.
2020-9-21
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-21 02:20
Yes that does seem odd.
Have you tried to gently move the gimbals with it switched off to see if there is any roughness to the movement? It should be silky smooth with a hint of resistance to movement.

I tried just now and it doesn't seem to make the sounds when it's off. It moves freely and smoothly. Panning and movement in the video is smooth too.
2020-9-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

OliverH Posted at 9-21 02:45
I tried just now and it doesn't seem to make the sounds when it's off. It moves freely and smoothly. Panning and movement in the video is smooth too.

Then I'm not sure what to say. If it's not making noises other than on startup then at this point I wouldn't worry too much. If there is no obvious slack in the gimbals and you are not feeling or hearing any grinding during normal operation or seeing any stuttering movements then assume for now it's OK.  If it gets worse then get in touch with the technical department.

Ray.
2020-9-21
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-21 06:35
Then I'm not sure what to say. If it's not making noises other than on startup then at this point I wouldn't worry too much. If there is no obvious slack in the gimbals and you are not feeling or hearing any grinding during normal operation or seeing any stuttering movements then assume for now it's OK.  If it gets worse then get in touch with the technical department.

Ray.

Thanks for your help. I will keep an eye on it for now. Thanks
2020-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Oliver. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Osmo Pocket and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to post a sample video of the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.
2020-9-21
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Hi Stephen, thanks for the message. I tried to record the sound and you can hear it a small amount on the video but the volume needs to be very loud. I recorded three times and uploaded the videos to YouTube. The following three videos are all different

https://youtu.be/iI4lYSKRMZQ

https://youtu.be/pnSOGzrav4g

https://youtu.be/nhCKfqlQJGo

The sound I am referring to is in between the knocks of the gimbal.

Thanks for your help

Oliver
2020-9-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

OliverH Posted at 9-22 01:18
Hi Stephen, thanks for the message. I tried to record the sound and you can hear it a small amount on the video but the volume needs to be very loud. I recorded three times and uploaded the videos to YouTube. The following three videos are all different

https://youtu.be/iI4lYSKRMZQ

Hi Oliver.
I can't hear any grinding noises from the gimbals. Only the recurring vibration sound from the gimbals hitting their stop points. That is normal.
Ray.
2020-9-22
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-22 02:07
Hi Oliver.
I can't hear any grinding noises from the gimbals. Only the recurring vibration sound from the gimbals hitting their stop points. That is normal.
Ray.

Thanks for watching it. Yeah the sound I'm hearing is definitely separate from the other gimbal sounds. Between the knocks. It might just be a normal sound and I'm listening into it too much.
Oliver
2020-9-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

OliverH Posted at 9-22 02:37
Thanks for watching it. Yeah the sound I'm hearing is definitely separate from the other gimbal sounds. Between the knocks. It might just be a normal sound and I'm listening into it too much.
Oliver

Yes I think so.
The effect of the hard stop is similar to a ruler being twanged upon a desk but more solid sounding and shorter in duration due the smaller size and materials in use.
Mine and my sons' both do exactly the same thing.
Ray.
2020-9-22
Use props
OliverH
lvl.2
Japan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-22 07:38
Yes I think so.
The effect of the hard stop is similar to a ruler being twanged upon a desk but more solid sounding and shorter in duration due the smaller size and materials in use.
Mine and my sons' both do exactly the same thing.

I see. Thanks for that Ray. Reassuring to know it's a normal sound.

Oliver
2020-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules