Forward stick just stopped working
325 9 2020-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LexMortis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5617 ft
Germany

So a few days ago i was on a liveaboard cruising between Maledives atolls and at one point we spotted Manta rays in shallow waters. I grabbed my Mini and did 3 rounds of flybys changing batteries each time it reached approx. 50%.

On a 3rd fly, on my way back to the boat out of the blue, the forward movement stopped working completely. All other directions worked just fine, the drone was hovering approx. 40m away but I just could not fly forward no matter what. Perfect reception, nearly zero other devices nearby (I am using an airplane mode when flying).
Landing on a moving boat is already a challenge, doing it backwards with no visual reference from my drone camera complicated things even more but the Mini landed safely.
Later this evening I tried and forward stick worked again as if nothing happened.

Anyone ever had this issue?
What could be the reason and how to prevent such thing to happen ever again?

DJI Mini

DJI Mini
2020-9-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you calibrate the RC within the fly app on the MM? I'd do that if so.

Great shot BTW
2020-9-23
Use props
LexMortis
lvl.1
Germany

A J Posted at 9-23 05:53
Can you calibrate the RC within the fly app on the MM? I'd do that if so.

Great shot BTW

I guess i can. Good point. I didn't think about it.
I am pulling logs from the drone as we speak to see if I can find anything relevant in there.
2020-9-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LexMortis Posted at 9-23 05:56
I guess i can. Good point. I didn't think about it.
I am pulling logs from the drone as we speak to see if I can find anything relevant in there.

2020-9-23
Use props
LexMortis
lvl.1
Germany

Log shows nothing interesting except for notification about Extra payload. The only thing I had extra was a tiny ND64 filter on which I've used before without ever getting this message:

Also log seems to be too short but I am not 100% sure.
Really weird.
2020-9-23
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Was there strong wind?
2020-9-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LexMortis Posted at 9-23 06:09
Log shows nothing interesting except for notification about Extra payload. The only thing I had extra was a tiny ND64 filter on which I've used before without ever getting this message:
[view_image]

Some of these third-party ND's, even if only a few g's too heavy can cause gimbal overload on those tiny motors. Though that would not prevent forward movement of the drone. Try the RC cal. as mentioned and monitor it.
2020-9-23
Use props
LexMortis
lvl.1
Germany

amir_KING Posted at 9-23 06:10
Was there strong wind?

There was a mild wind but nothing that Mini couldn't handle in 2 previous flights.
You can see me desperately trying to switch modes to Sport to potentially overcome wind issue in case I underestimated it but with no result.
Forward movement was just gone while backwards and sideways worked just fine.
2020-9-23
Use props
amir_KING
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

LexMortis Posted at 9-23 06:15
There was a mild wind but nothing that Mini couldn't handle in 2 previous flights.
You can see me desperately trying to switch modes to Sport to potentially overcome wind issue in case I underestimated it but with no result.
Forward movement was just gone while backwards and sideways worked just fine.

Do you kno if you were flying in the wind or with it? Ive seen sudden gusts arise sometimes.
2020-9-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there LexMortis. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to calibrate the remote controller of your DJI Mavic Mini to see if the issue will still persist. For reference I will post a DJI Tutorial Video on How to Calibrate DJI Mavic Pro Remote Controller. Thank you.

2020-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules