4K video is choppy and unusable
753 14 2020-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shanelittle
lvl.1

United States

I updated my SD card with a Superior Pro, 128GB. Reads up to 290MB/s and writes up to 160MB/s. Still complete ... and unusable.

Junk

Shane
2020-9-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have never heard of that card. Try a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card, they are known to work properly.
2020-9-24
Use props
shanelittle
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 9-24 15:53
I have never heard of that card. Try a Sandisk Extreme Pro series card, they are known to work properly.

My friend pointed out that it could very well be my 8yr old laptop. I never even considered that my video card may not support 4K video. GTX 670M. I'm looking into it.
2020-9-24
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

That card speed is WAY beyond even the fastest card rating that exists (let alone the cards exist).  Turns out that there are Superior Pro SD cards.  They claim read / write speeds that massively exceed the ratings of the card, so I think someone marketing department is substantially generous.
2020-9-24
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

It might be Megabits, not Megabytes, per second.

But yes, it is quite possible that your computer can’t handle the playback in realtime, especially if you are recording in H.265.
2020-9-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Shane. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. As MisterFrag posted on post #5, can you please try using a different PC to see if the said issue will still persist and for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-9-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

shanelittle Posted at 9-24 16:08
My friend pointed out that it could very well be my 8yr old laptop. I never even considered that my video card may not support 4K video. GTX 670M. I'm looking into it.

That card according to Nvidia goes to "Up to 2560x1600", not 4k which is 3840 × 2160.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/gef ... 70m/specifications/
2020-9-24
Use props
shanelittle
lvl.1

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-24 19:58
That card according to Nvidia goes to "Up to 2560x1600", not 4k which is 3840 × 2160.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gaming-laptops/geforce-gtx-670m/specifications/

I’m betting this is the issue. Been trying to avoid buying a new laptop, but now it’s become a choke point in various activities I’m involved in. Thank you for pointing out the specs, sir.
2020-9-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

shanelittle Posted at 9-24 20:01
I’m betting this is the issue. Been trying to avoid buying a new laptop, but now it’s become a choke point in various activities I’m involved in. Thank you for pointing out the specs, sir.

I know what you mean. my pc can handle 4k but my monitor cannot. Guess I cheaped out too much for that one ;-)
2020-9-24
Use props
shanelittle
lvl.1

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-24 20:14
I know what you mean. my pc can handle 4k but my monitor cannot. Guess I cheaped out too much for that one ;-)

I guess I should be thrilled I got 8yrs out of this laptop. It runs fine for most stuff, but music production with Ableton bogs it down, now video editing. The time is nigh. Lol
2020-9-24
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

It's not the 4k, it's the h.265 codec in all likelihood. Older CPUs haven't got nifty bits in 'em to decode it and rely solely on raw CPU power, which yours is probably lacking. Probably your graphics card is irrelevant. Even my 5 year old medium range i7/gtx980 laptop couldn't eat h.265.  
2020-9-24
Use props
shanelittle
lvl.1

United States

M4cr0s Posted at 9-24 22:25
It's not the 4k, it's the h.265 codec in all likelihood. Older CPUs haven't got nifty bits in 'em to decode it and rely solely on raw CPU power, which yours is probably lacking. Probably your graphics card is irrelevant. Even my 5 year old medium range i7/gtx980 laptop couldn't eat h.265.

I’m not even out of bed yet and my poor Origin is being called irrelevant. It has feelings ya know!

Honestly I knew about the .265, haven’t even selected that setting yet. I’m sure if I used it my machine would melt, lol.
2020-9-25
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

shanelittle Posted at 9-25 05:52
I’m not even out of bed yet and my poor Origin is being called irrelevant. It has feelings ya know!

Honestly I knew about the .265, haven’t even selected that setting yet. I’m sure if I used it my machine would melt, lol.

Well, if your pc is old and underpowered, or filled with enough crap and gunk, enough even .264 will be a stretch Technically, if I'm not entirely mistaken, its not so much to do with the resolution of the video footage. If you hooked a 4k screen up to your Nivida card I bet it can output 4k resolution to it. Manufacturers specs are often confusing about this. The problem is the bitrate and type of codec/compression, which is the actual stream of data that have to be decoded. However, your gpu is not doing that decoding at all, its just showing images on the screen. Its your cpu that does the heavy lifting.

4k footage from the MA2 is around 120mbit, which isn't terribly high by todays standard, but still a bit to chew. Presumably more so at 50/60fps. Point being regardless, it's probably not your graphics card alone being the issue, as long as the footage is recorded ok.

I would try different players just to check. Say VLC and Leawo Free Blu-ray Player.
2020-9-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-24 19:58

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gaming-laptops/geforce-gtx-670m/specifications/

That's not the problem. It just means that the card doesn't support physical monitor resolutions greater than 2560x1600. You can still play 4K video, but it will be scaled to fit the resolution of the attached monitor.

But a 8-year old CPU and GPU aren't able to handle high-bitrate H.265 video in real-time. In fact, that video standard didn't exist 8 years ago.
2020-9-25
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go with the name brand stuff. Especially with MA2.
2020-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules