Full batteries deplete a little with time?
588 16 2020-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zulujim
lvl.2
United States

This is my first drone so Im learning as I go...

I noticed that if I keep fully charged batteries off the charger for a few days (3-4)
They dont seem to be fully toped off when I go to use them? Not alot, but a little bit depleated.

And if I leave a fully charged battery in the drone, it will deplete even a little faster.

Is this normal for the DJI MA2?  Or maybe DJI drone batteries general?
Thanks for your time.

2020-9-29
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

The Mavic Air 2 Smart Batteries automatically discharge at set intervals, as being stored at full charge will shorten their life, cause swelling or catastrophic failure.

Do you have a copy of the MA2 user manual?  It explains the various battery features, including the Auto-Discharge.  Here's an excerpt:

2020-09-29_11-48-55.jpg

2020-9-29
Use props
zulujim
lvl.2
United States

That's it.

Yeah ... probably should read the instructions better.
I looked through it but its alot for a first timer.
Thanks for your info.
2020-9-29
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

Yep - Definitely a lot of info to digest.  Fortunately the user manual is pretty well written compared to most.  It was raining for two days when I got my MA2, so I ended up reading it cover-to-cover.  :-)
2020-9-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All LiPo batteries should be stored at less than full charge. My old P4 batteries are programmed to self-discharge to 50% after 10 days, and all intelligent batteries discharge a little over time to avoid risk of expanding. It's a safety precaution and nothing to worry about
2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 9-29 11:41
All LiPo batteries should be stored at less than full charge. My old P4 batteries are programmed to self-discharge to 50% after 10 days, and all intelligent batteries discharge a little over time to avoid risk of expanding. It's a safety precaution and nothing to worry about

... the only annoying thing is that you never know exactly when the batteries started to discharge. One would have to keep a detailed record of each of them ...
2020-9-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-29 12:25
... the only annoying thing is that you never know exactly when the batteries started to discharge. One would have to keep a detailed record of each of them ...

Don't over-think it. Just top them off the evening before you intend to fly or, if you have an in-car charger, whilst you're on the way to the flight zone.
2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 9-29 12:30
Don't over-think it. Just top them off the evening before you intend to fly or, if you have an in-car charger, whilst you're on the way to the flight zone.

It can happen that they are not reloaded the evening before because they are still "too full" ...

Then, overnight, however, they begin to discharge. And then the next day the time is running out ...

2020-9-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

frankymusik Posted at 9-29 12:32
It can happen that they are not reloaded the evening before because they are still "too full" ...

"Then, overnight, however, they begin to discharge. And then the next day the time is running out ..."

It is written in the manual, discharge to 96% after first day and 60% after 5 days, see post #2.
2020-9-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there zulujim. Thank you for reaching out and for this information you have shared with us. The DJI Mavic Air 2 Intelligent Flight Battery has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-9-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 9-29 14:17
"Then, overnight, however, they begin to discharge. And then the next day the time is running out ..."

It is written in the manual, discharge to 96% after first day and 60% after 5 days, see post #2.

... these are all well-known features, really!
But that is not the point!

You don't always know exactly when the 5 days are over, unless you keep a record of when which battery was last fully charged ...
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life you cannot think of everything ...

And then you try to charge all the batteries the night before, but none of them fill because they still have 96% ...
Overnight, however, the 5 days mentioned have expired, and now they "suddenly" discharge.

Too late to do it the next morning to get everything back to 100% ...
That was the subject.

2020-9-29
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-29 22:46

Why not partially charge your batteries to ~60%, then you always know that you can fully charge the night before, or morning of your next flight?
2020-9-29
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

now they "suddenly" discharge

It takes some time to discharge so no suddenly discharged battery but it is better to store batteries "half-charged" and recharge full the night before next flying session.
BTW charging almost full (like 90% or 80%) batteries is not good.
2020-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 9-29 23:20
Why not partially charge your batteries to ~60%, then you always know that you can fully charge the night before, or morning of your next flight?

... because I currently want to fly quite often (and also "unexpectedly") and then the work seems to be too expensive to only charge the batteries up to 60%!
I don't feel like lingering next to the charger and doing "battery control" ...

If this is so important, then DJI should implement such a mode in its charger ...

And as I said, even if the batteries seem full the night before, it can happen (unintentionally) overnight ...

Here, too, DJI could create the possibility of telling the batteries in the charger: "Wait another 24 hours until the discharge starts."
If they are "intelligent batteries", then something must be feasible, right ...?

2020-9-30
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-30 06:23
... because I currently want to fly quite often (and also "unexpectedly") and then the work seems to be too expensive to only charge the batteries up to 60%!
I don't feel like lingering next to the charger and doing "battery control" ...

My suggestion was for a work around with the current setup.  You can moan all you like about the poor design, but don’t hold your breath for DJI to make any changes!
2020-9-30
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 9-30 09:41
My suggestion was for a work around with the current setup.  You can moan all you like about the poor design, but don’t hold your breath for DJI to make any changes!

You are right, of course
You have to take it as it is, get used to it ...
In any case, I notice that it takes far too much time to pay attention to everything possible and to be able to start on time.

2020-9-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I don't need to know when the 5 days are over. I simply charge my batteries the night before I use them, that way they will only have lost a couple of percent of charge, which is of no real consequence. Remember, the 100% charge point is an artificial value anyway, as it is extremely difficult to know that state of charge of a lithium Polymer battery.
2020-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules