Center direct indicator.
510 8 2020-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

When I flew my Mini yesterday I got confused. My RTH worked perfectly.My mini settings 15/feet in front of me on my takeoff pad in the grass showed that my mini was behind me.
Some say to shut off wifi and Bluetooth when flying.
My WiFi was on but Bluetooth was off.
I went into my phone settings and compas settings and it says that the efficiency of the compas requires WiFi and Bluetooth to be accurate.
So do I need to have both WiFi and Bluetooth on.
I do understand the directions arrow in the map is correct. I like being able to look at the directions indicator quickly when I'm flying.
I do rember in the past it was reading correctly. Could having Bluetooth shut off be causing this situation.
For lamens here keep answer fairly simple.
Doug

2020-9-30
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Why dose it shoe my MM is behind me when it is actually 15 ft in front of me on and ready for takeoff. Makes no sense.
2020-10-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Doug,

The arrow of the aircraft orientation (AOI) indicator needs 2 signals.

Arrow pointing direction = compass data drone
Arrow positioning on the forward 180 degree scale = mobile device info.

If the mob dev compass is not good calibrated the position of the arrow on this scale is not correct.
So calibrate your mob dev compass.

AOI does not work good when craft is closeby, so fly about 15 meters in front of you to check the AOI.

Some devices need to put the other way in the RC clamps,  this will change the info to the RC with 180 degrees. (if arrow is on the back line and not on the fwd scale while craft is in front of you)

watch this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225017

cheers
JJB
2020-10-1
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Ok I’ll try it again. And try your suggestions. As you said  it may just need to be farther away and was just to close.
Thank you.
Doug.
2020-10-2
Use props
Flaming
lvl.4
Flight distance : 250541 ft
Canada

To my understanding the " direct center indicator " will work properly only if you have a hardware compass inside your mobile device. If don't have one then forget about it.  My phone doesn't have one so the indicator show random stuff. I use the Mini map instead .  

Go to a website like gsmarena.com enter the model of your mobile device in the search box and check the specs . Scroll down to see the GPS info ....if there is no info about a compass then you are out of luck.   You can also download CPU-Z app and verify the sensor info....if you don't see the Magnetic sensor ....no compass for you.
2020-10-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

What you described is exactly what happens to me with either drone model. It is just not that accurate at that short a distance. The indicator should show correctly the direction both devices are pointed but the relative position is not that accurate. Move the drone away and it works. For example, my tablet that I use for the MA2 often reports an accuracy of the GPS at 30 feet or more.
2020-10-2
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

Flaming Posted at 10-2 20:21
To my understanding the " direct center indicator " will work properly only if you have a hardware compass inside your mobile device. If don't have one then forget about it.  My phone doesn't have one so the indicator show random stuff. I use the Mini map instead .  

Go to a website like gsmarena.com enter the model of your mobile device in the search box and check the specs . Scroll down to see the GPS info ....if there is no info about a compass then you are out of luck.   You can also download CPU-Z app and verify the sensor info....if you don't see the Magnetic sensor ....no compass for you.

Thanks you.
Ipad 7 , not that old and I have a compass in it. I have see the direction indicator working when I have used it before. I’m guessing that maybe I was just to close it and need to fly it 30 - 40 feet away.
To much wind and rain to check it in the last couple days.
And also looking back I was standing close to some bleachers with metal framing.
Thank you.
Doug
2020-10-2
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-2 20:31
What you described is exactly what happens to me with either drone model. It is just not that accurate at that short a distance. The indicator should show correctly the direction both devices are pointed but the relative position is not that accurate. Move the drone away and it works. For example, my tablet that I use for the MA2 often reports an accuracy of the GPS at 30 feet or more.

In the next day or so I’ll try it again. Just has been to windy and rain.
I might have panicked but when I noticed it it was close to me.
It had worked before . So the next time I’ll study it more.
I do understand it is not the most accurate thing and the map is much better.
Thank you.
Doug.
2020-10-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 10-1 23:37
Hi Doug,

The arrow of the aircraft orientation (AOI) indicator needs 2 signals.

Sound advice JJB - I too find the reading to become totally on point when the drone is airborne and about 20' away.
2020-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules