4th of July... are you planing to take pictures of fireworks?
2253 20 2015-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Just wondering who is...

2015-6-24
Use props
dashtwo
lvl.2

United States

Yes. I do plan to. (just my own show, I would never put flashing lights into anyone else's show) If any of the photography gurus here have any tips or settings for fireworks with this camera, I would appreciate any learning opportunity. Thanks
2015-6-24
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

In my opinion fireworks operators and the general public don't really like to see something flying around the fireworks.  Especially inside the display.  Someone did this last year and the news turned it into more bad press.  Of course it did look cool but then they realized it could get shot down and hit someone.  Let's all not be that guy who ruins the fun.  Remember the FAA "guidelines" say no flying at night.  Personally I think if you were to get the footage from a long range view would be best with something in the background to frame it.  But I don't fly at night.
2015-6-24
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

In my neighborhood square mile there are many displays around. I have a schoolyard in my backyard that for many years me and my wife  just park our loungers there and watch the shows. i am looking forward to launching my P3P straight up several hundred feet  and doing a slow 360 pan to capture the shows  the private community puts on. This usually starts a week before the 4th and continues for about a week after.
2015-6-24
Use props
kd7gmk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-6-25 07:45
In my neighborhood square mile there are many displays around. I have a schoolyard in my backyard th ...

bad idea. we get enough bad press already.
2015-6-24
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

kd7gmk@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-25 08:15
bad idea. we get enough bad press already.

How is this a bad idea? I'm going to fly straight up and hover. st there some mystry of the dark we don't know about . Some of the best video can be shot during the dark and surrounding city/suburb lights. Im not going for a mile long run here. Geez Louise people.
2015-6-24
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-6-25 09:12
How is this a bad idea? I'm going to fly straight up and hover. st there some mystry of the dark w ...

Lol that's what happens when you are honest these days, as for me I am going up and get me some nice footage of the county fireworks from a safe location of my choosing.
2015-6-24
Use props
kd7gmk
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-6-25 09:12
How is this a bad idea? I'm going to fly straight up and hover. st there some mystry of the dark w ...

becauseflyinh at night  its against AMA and FAA recommendations and fraught with potential for an accident.
2015-6-25
Use props
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

kd7gmk@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-26 02:08
becauseflyinh at night  its against AMA and FAA recommendations and fraught with potential for an  ...

I disagree.  It's actually easier to see the drone at night.........the lights can be seen so far away.
2015-6-25
Use props
faa licensed pi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mackie1604 Posted at 2015-6-26 02:20
I disagree.  It's actually easier to see the drone at night.........the lights can be seen so far  ...

Not following guidelines is what's giving our activities a bad name. The FAA, in case no one is paying attention, is being dragged kicking and screaming by Congress  into formulating UAV rules. The more "incidents" they can point to, the more draconian their rules will be. The media jumps on "drone bites man" stories. I know everyone thinks they are Maverick but shit happens and UAVs crash. I don't care how much of a hot shot pilot you may think you are, motors freeze and electronics are not infallible.  And when it does it's best for it to happen away from bystanders.

Just my opinion, not trying to start a flaming war, don't take it personal.
2015-6-25
Use props
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

faa licensed pi Posted at 2015-6-26 02:35
Not following guidelines is what's giving our activities a bad name. The FAA, in case no one is pa ...

Against "recommendations" and illegal are two different things.  If it's illegal to fly at night (which it doesn't appear to be) than it's actually safer to fly at night.

Less people out, less planes flying, and less targets to impact into.
2015-6-25
Use props
FAA LICENSED PI
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mackie1604 Posted at 2015-6-26 03:05
Against "recommendations" and illegal are two different things.  If it's illegal to fly at night ( ...

We are in total agreement. However, the feds (and locals are after our hobby. We must be cautious or we'll lose it. Here's an example in my own state:

Arizona House Bill
2015-6-25
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Ok let us all return our freaking phantoms or what nots and go bend over and get a nice big pickle up our bums ok.
And what the hell is wrong with flying under 400 freaking feet day or night away from people is going to affect it when it's in a freaking AMA field, FLAME ON.
2015-6-25
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

mackie1604 Posted at 2015-6-26 03:05
Against "recommendations" and illegal are two different things.  If it's illegal to fly at night ( ...

Exactly it's a recommendation and if we keep being pussies and take recommendations as rules we will get our asses handed to us.
2015-6-25
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

FAA LICENSED PI Posted at 2015-6-26 03:34
We are in total agreement. However, the feds (and locals are after our hobby. We must be cautious  ...

I read it and it would be a felony if you go spying on another person and that is right so what is wrong with that one ? Here in New Jersey they banned drones completely on the beach in one location explaining the fact that some ass wipes fly on top of crowds and like most YouTube videos you see with how reckless they fly the drones , we gonna end up flying them in a flying field only and with supervision if the stupidity and lack of common sense don't stop.
2015-6-25
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-26 08:14
I read it and it would be a felony if you go spying on another person and that is right so what is ...

Amen, brother. We understand that, why don't everyone else?
2015-6-25
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

As long as you keep a respectable distance from the fireworks and people then no one should have a problem.  
2015-6-25
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

I do not understand this no flying at night. I use to fly high power rockets and we flew them at night. The only this was we needed a light on it when it was under chute. I would believe the lights on the P3 would be fine for night.
2015-6-26
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

And for those who want to know how to take pictures of fireworks...

http://froknowsphoto.com/fireworks-tips/
2015-6-27
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Heck yeah!  (as long as the weather and the K index are favorable) A neighbor and I both have remote firing systems and we're going to give them a workout.  Between the two of us we have 7 Phantoms so I figure we can put one or two up in the air and see what kind of results we can get.  
(Forgot to mention we live out in the country about 10 miles from the nearest town)
2015-6-27
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

The remote firing systems were a bust (crappy electric match igniters!) and we ended up doing it the old fashioned way with lighters.  Initially started around 300 feet up at a 45 degree angle to the fireworks but noticed the bursting radius wasn't even close to the Quad so I went up to 400 feet and pretty much directly overhead in this short clip.  And before anybody goes off on a rant this NOT a public event, it was on private property with amateur fireworks bought from one of those warehouse joints.  (No Phantoms were harmed in the making of this video)

One thing I would do differently is also shoot from the ground with a microphone equipped camera and dub the audio track (a silent fireworks video is kinda boring!)

2015-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules