Pilot Training Guide - Emergency Situation #2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robvelez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

As part of my learning to fly the Phantom, I found the Pilot Training Guide very VERY helpful. I'm curious though about Emergency Situation #2 where it talks about Intercepting RTH by switching S1 Switch from top to bottom. What switch is this? Does this apply to the Phantom 3 series remote controllers, or earlier? If you're able to do this situation #2, what switch if any?
Has anyone practiced any of this before/after learning to fly? Seems we as UAV/drone pilots, we do our duty to learn these maneuvers.

2015-6-24
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

On the P2 = (S1) right toggle switch. On NAZA mode the S1 positions are: Top = GPS, Mid = ATTI, Bottom = Failsafe (unless programmed to manual).
Flicking S1 from top to bottom only enforces failsafe. This does NOT cancel the RTH. You need to flick down to fail safe and back up to GPS (or ATTI depending your flight mode).

On the P3, To cancel, just hold the H button on the controller. The white halo light around the button will turn off. You can cancel off the screen on your smart phone/device.
2015-6-24
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Carefully read pages 12, 13 and 14 in the manual. They explain (in pretty good detail) the three types of RTH - Smart RTH, Low-Battery RTH and FailSafe RTH. (There's some more info about RTH on page 26 of the manual.)

There is one point that isn't emphasized very heavily - if the RTH is started (whether by you or by an automatic method), if your Phantom 3 is reasonably close to you (something like within 50 - 60 feet) when RTH starts, your Phantom 3 will attempt to land right where it is. Obviously, if your Phantom 3 is currently on the edge of a cliff or the edge of some shoreline, this can be a problem. Just be aware of this possibility - which I could not find in the manual.

The great majority of what you need to know about RTH *is* in the manual - see the pages referenced above.
2015-6-25
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-25 21:41
Carefully read pages 12, 13 and 14 in the manual. They explain (in pretty good detail) the three typ ...

Yes, what aburkefl said. RTH "in close" will land right where it is, NOT at the actual Home Point. Not a good thing with lots of trees around. And remember if you are under a tree, the P3 goes UP first to your RTH height.
2015-6-25
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-25 21:41
Carefully read pages 12, 13 and 14 in the manual. They explain (in pretty good detail) the three typ ...

Not so sure about that.  I was 15-20 feet away and standing within 10 feet of the home point. Battery got down to the low point that triggered RTH. Damn thing took off straight up (preset to go to 50 m and then head home) and almost wiped out on some tree branches above. Would have liked it to just land where it was.
2015-6-25
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

myhondas Posted at 2015-6-26 09:54
Not so sure about that.  I was 15-20 feet away and standing within 10 feet of the home point. Batt ...

I agree - I think this one is still "up in the air" (absolutely no pun intended!). There have been numerous "mixed" reports about how this is supposed to be taking place vs what has actually been happening.

And, for the life of me, I spent quite some time searching documents yesterday, trying to find the document that states the case about how close to the home point for an emergency landing, etc.

The manual actually seems to do a pretty good job on all the other aspects of RTH
2015-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules