Why does everyone keep doing imu calibrations?
4231 13 2015-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

why is everyone doing imu calibrations all the time? I've never done a imu calibration on my p3p, or either on my flamewheel F450 and F550 and I've never had any issues..  Ive got 200 flights  thru my F450, 282 flights thru my F550 and 36 flights on my p3p. I've never even did 1 imu calibration nor an advanced imu calibration and they all fly perfect!  I've done 3 firmware updates on my 2 naza-m v2 flight controllers also...  I'm beginning to think all these people doing imu calibrations is some of what's causing some problems here, especially with the copters that take off and go nuts right after take off...  I've only done 1 compass calibration on all 3 of them also..  And that was right before their very first flights...  I've flown in many different locations too, some a few hundred miles from each other and from where the initial compass calibration was done...  In my experience if these flight controllers need a imu calibration they will tell you in the assistant software or pilot app or if they fly irradically....
So all these calibrations after firmware updates and before each flight I feel need to stop..  If the copter doesn't say I need a calibration and they fly fine don't do it, if it's not broke why would you try and fix it?

Come on people
2015-6-25
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

I did an IMU and gimbal calibration as my horizon was off, now its fixed.
2015-6-25
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

This advice is pretty dangerous.

It's a good idea to do an IMU calibration after installing firmware or if your Phantom gets banged around (e.g. you crash). A compass calibration is not needed before every flight, but it should be done in these cases:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-a-complete-primer.32829

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

@Fantom Help,
This is where that hyper link you shared,  travels to...

http://c.pc.qq.com/fcgi-bin/safe ... 2829&eviltype=0x100

Not sure this was your intent...

RedHotPoker

2015-6-25
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was not my intention. This forum is modifying the link for some reason

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Oh, well, I was able to find it anyway.
Odd that this forum has made several changes to its user operations, like this one.

Still can't figure out how to PM others either...?

RedHotPoker
2015-6-25
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Wait what?  You are telling everyone on here not to do what the manual and all the experts say is a safe way to fly.  What are you credentials?
2015-6-25
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

U can do what ever you want, for me it's not ever been needed, but then again, I'm not crashing and landing hard either
2015-6-25
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-25
Use props
Stdquad
lvl.1

Canada

SULTAN Posted at 2015-6-26 05:40
IMU calibration is not an option you can skip, it is a must.  Being lucky doesn't mean everyone luck ...

When ever I check my IMU the app tells me no calibration is necessary.  So do we ignor this flag?

2015-7-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Because the mod values getting closer to 0 which is good. You should do this every x flights, i do it before every flight since 2,5 years. Some inspires crashed because ppl did not calibrated the imu, the software was to easy on the mod limits. You can see how much the mod values change after a flight, not close to 0 anymore etcc.
2015-7-3
Use props
SouthernPhantom
lvl.1

United States

Stdquad Posted at 2015-7-4 04:05
When ever I check my IMU the app tells me no calibration is necessary.  So do we ignor this flag? ...

Yes, you can ignore that indication. You can (and should) do the IMU calibration whenever you want to. If your drone is flying fine, there's no need to do it. Once in a while is fine, especially if it has been transported on a bumpy ride or had a hard landing or two. It's also recommended after a firmware update. Chill the drone before doing it, and then put it on an absolutely level surface when doing the actual calibration. It only takes a few minutes. Then also re-calibrate the gimbol.  
2015-7-5
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

2020 know I own a mavic zoom fly it with the smart controller and I need to do a calibration  sometimes.Started to build a f450 flamewheel with a naza m lite  it runs on the firmware fine just cant get it to do an IMU calibration  but it does a normal  calibration  fine anyone know y
2020-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules