Please tell me if RS2 will require the phone for activetrack?
9384 14 2020-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nomnomnom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8343 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've literally all the youtube videos and none of it explains this. Do I need to use my phone to setup activetrack? In theory you don't, you need raveneye and you can select the subject from the small screen. But if you read the faq, it tells you to use the app??

Someone please confirm. Literally that's the only reason I would choose RS2 over RSC2
2020-10-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, thanks for your interest in RS2, there are two methods to use Active Track:
1. Enter LCD touchscreen, when the center frame aims at the subject, press the trigger once to start ActiveTrack;
2. Enter the Ronin app's image transmission interface, enable ActiveTrack, and frame the subject to follow. The frame will turn green once it aims at the subject.

We will forward to our engineers to update the FAQ.
2020-10-18
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-18 01:45
Hi there, thanks for your interest in RS2, there are two methods to use Active Track:
1. Enter LCD touchscreen, when the center frame aims at the subject, press the trigger once to start ActiveTrack;
2. Enter the Ronin app's image transmission interface, enable ActiveTrack, and frame the subject to follow. The frame will turn green once it aims at the subject.

Thanks so much. That’s helpful. So it is true that for RS2 I don’t need to bring my phone to have active track. But for RSC2 I do need the phone for that feature. Correct?
2020-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

nomnomnom Posted at 10-18 06:07
Thanks so much. That’s helpful. So it is true that for RS2 I don’t need to bring my phone to have active track. But for RSC2 I do need the phone for that feature. Correct?

Technically, the FAQ is correct, but it is mainly the method to use Active Track via Ronin APP.
RS2 and RSC 2 can both enable Active Track without the APP, when the center frame of the Touchscreen aims at the subject, press the trigger button once to start ActiveTrack.
2020-10-19
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-19 02:53
Technically, the FAQ is correct, but it is mainly the method to use Active Track via Ronin APP.
RS2 and RSC 2 can both enable Active Track without the APP, when the center frame of the Touchscreen aims at the subject, press the trigger button once to start ActiveTrack.

wow that is new info and really surprising.

Is there any advantage of using RS2 then? Can you select your subject by using the touch screen or does it have to be center and press the trigger button the same as RSC2?

Also, can you confirm that the RSC2 is heavier than RS2? According to specs that is the case
2020-10-19
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-19 02:53
RS2 and RSC 2 can both enable Active Track without the APP, when the center frame of the Touchscreen aims at the subject, press the trigger button once to start ActiveTrack.

Hi DJI Mindy can you please let me know the answers to those 2 questions?
2020-10-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

nomnomnom Posted at 10-20 12:50
Hi DJI Mindy can you please let me know the answers to those 2 questions?

Sorry for the delayed response, the DJI RS 2 is the first single-handed stabilizer with special-shaped carbon fiber technology, which can adapt to various harsh use scenarios. Thanks to the newly designed motor, it can bear loads of up to 4.5 kg, compatible with various cameras for professional photographers. Additionally, there are comprehensive improvements across all aspects of the product line, including improvements for follow focus, image transmission, display, the accessories ecosystem, and software algorithms, which make it a performance flagship device.

The DJI RSC 2 is designed with a compact and foldable body. By adjusting the shape of the device, it can be freely switched between 6 different forms, including Underslung, Storage, Upright, Flashlight, Portrait, and Briefcase. Users can choose a form to shoot in according to their own needs. DJI RSC 2 can meet most of a photographer's shooting requirements.

When using the Touchscreen, you just need to press the trigger once to start ActiveTrack when the center frame aims at the subject, no need to select the subject.

The weight of RS2 is 1225g (gimbal+grip, excluding the Quick-Release Plates and Camera Mounting Plate).
The weight of RSC2 is 1216g (gimbal+grip, excluding Quick-Release Plate).

2020-10-22
Use props
GIMBALNEWBIE
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-22 02:11
Sorry for the delayed response, the DJI RS 2 is the first single-handed stabilizer with special-shaped carbon fiber technology, which can adapt to various harsh use scenarios. Thanks to the newly designed motor, it can bear loads of up to 4.5 kg, compatible with various cameras for professional photographers. Additionally, there are comprehensive improvements across all aspects of the product line, including improvements for follow focus, image transmission, display, the accessories ecosystem, and software algorithms, which make it a performance flagship device.

The DJI RSC 2 is designed with a compact and foldable body. By adjusting the shape of the device, it can be freely switched between 6 different forms, including Underslung, Storage, Upright, Flashlight, Portrait, and Briefcase. Users can choose a form to shoot in according to their own needs. DJI RSC 2 can meet most of a photographer's shooting requirements.

Hi there,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Just so that I'm crystal clear, you CANNOT use ActiveTrack 3.0 on the RSC2 WITHOUT purchasing the RAVENEYE transmitter?

If I were to buy just the standard gimbal (WITHOUT the PRO Combo) there's no way I can use my Canon R6 to work with this on ActiveTrack?

If the above were true, shouldn't I just stay with the older SC that works with ActiveTrack and DOESN't mandate the purchase of a Raveneye Transmitter?

I'd much appreciate some clarity and transparency here.
2020-10-22
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

GIMBALNEWBIE Posted at 10-22 06:58
Hi there,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

well if you think about it, it makes sense because the old Ronin S does activetrack via your phone so you have to connect your phone's camera and select your subject there.

The new RS2 and RSC2 cannot use the phone's camera for activetrack (as far as I know) so they can only do activetrack by using raveneye
2020-10-22
Use props
GIMBALNEWBIE
lvl.1
United States

nomnomnom Posted at 10-22 08:30
well if you think about it, it makes sense because the old Ronin S does activetrack via your phone so you have to connect your phone's camera and select your subject there.

The new RS2 and RSC2 cannot use the phone's camera for activetrack (as far as I know) so they can only do activetrack by using raveneye

Thanks, bud,

Just wanted to make sure I've got all my facts together before I decide to return the SC I just purchased in exchange for the RSC2. The cost delta seems way too high to justify the Combo package just for the RavenEye transmitter though.  

I almost wish DJI would build some RavenEye backward compatibility for SC owners, so that they may buy the transmitter, and continue gaining more value from their investment. Just feel left out in the cold at the moment.

2020-10-22
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

GIMBALNEWBIE Posted at 10-22 09:09
Thanks, bud,

Just wanted to make sure I've got all my facts together before I decide to return the SC I just purchased in exchange for the RSC2. The cost delta seems way too high to justify the Combo package just for the RavenEye transmitter though.  

To be fair, there is a lot more to the new gimbals besides active track. You have more payload capacity, axis locks and improved tracking algorithms to start with.

Without knowing a new model was about to be announced, I had an SC essentials kit on order because the price point was great. But once I found out about the new RS 2 and RSC 2 and thought about what my usage road map looks like in terms of clients and art films, the RS 2 Pro kit was a no brainer.

This is spectacular tech, I can’t wait to get the 3-D focus module for my Zeiss manual glass.
2020-10-22
Use props
GIMBALNEWBIE
lvl.1
United States

Hi DJI Mindy,

Can you please confirm our observations here on the limitations with RSC2 and ActiveTrack if you do not purchase the RavenEye Transmitter?

Thanks,
2020-10-23
Use props
djiuser_8p2yHdpHBbHL
lvl.1

United States

GIMBALNEWBIE Posted at 10-23 04:27
Hi DJI Mindy,

Can you please confirm our observations here on the limitations with RSC2 and ActiveTrack if you do not purchase the RavenEye Transmitter?
Hey GimbalNewbie, did you ever get an answer to your last question? It seems that by Mindy’s own admission, a phone is not required to use active track, which can be done via the gimbal itself. But other than the distance streaming capabilities, isn’t live-feed interfacing between the camera and smartphone the only practical difference made by the RavenEye system? Why, then, is the RavenEye system necessary if you don’t desire to use its main features? The big question is whether or not the active-track-via-gimbal-only feature is actually disabled until you pay for the RavenEye system. If this is the case, that’s really unfortunate, because other than for the purpose of unlocking that feature, RavenEye is of no real use to me.
2020-12-16
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_8p2yHdpHBbHL Posted at 12-16 05:03
Hey GimbalNewbie, did you ever get an answer to your last question? It seems that by Mindy’s own admission, a phone is not required to use active track, which can be done via the gimbal itself. But other than the distance streaming capabilities, isn’t live-feed interfacing between the camera and smartphone the only practical difference made by the RavenEye system? Why, then, is the RavenEye system necessary if you don’t desire to use its main features? The big question is whether or not the active-track-via-gimbal-only feature is actually disabled until you pay for the RavenEye system. If this is the case, that’s really unfortunate, because other than for the purpose of unlocking that feature, RavenEye is of no real use to me.

Hi All:

I would like to jump in here to answer the question in the last post "The big question is whether or not the active-track-via-gimbal-only feature is actually disabled until you pay for the RavenEye system."

The reason RavenEye is required to implement ActiveTrack is because you need a way to get the image from the camera into RS 2/RSC 2.  This is can only be done via the HDMI connection between your camera and RavenEye and a USB C connection between RavenEye and the gimbal.  There is a third connection between camera and gimbal for gimbal control of the camera, e.g. record on/off, etc.

I have an RS 2.  I can launch activate active track 3 ways: 1) via the mobile telephone application, 2) selecting an object on the touch screen, or 3) pressing the trigger once.  If I am not using the mobile telephone application, then I can launch active track with either the trigger or the touch screen.

If you have an RSC 2 there are only two ways to launch active track: 1) mobile telephone application and 2) pressing the trigger.   Based on functionality of my RS 2, I suspect that you do not need the mobile telephone application to be on for the RSC 2 to launch Active Track with the trigger only.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar
2020-12-18
Use props
LKabilyo
lvl.1
United States

It's all a bit confusing. In reading the responses one would think the gimbal and camera work together to perform the active tracking. But it still seems that the Raveneye is required, whether you use the APP or not. Just pointing at an object with the camera and pressing the trigger WITHOUT the Raveneye does not activate tracking. Unfortunately my original 6D (despite having HDMI out) does not work with the Raveneye, but the 6D MKii does. The 6D CAN control movement with the Raveneye, but there is no image transmission. It would be nice if the gimbal/camera combo could do it sans Raveneye.
2021-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules