Is the ability to record RAW images due to the physical presence ...
1365 17 2020-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

of certain components or is it just a software thing?
Since the Mini 2 reportedly can shoot RAW wheres as the Mini '1' can not I was just wondering if....................

2020-11-3
Use props
Scarves UP
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Software. Silly DJI.
2020-11-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks. So it is feasible for the Mini '1' then?
2020-11-3
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

RAW files are  essentially the raw data output from the image sensor. They are created by all digital sensors after every shot.   It actually takes more processor overhead to compress the RAW data into the JPEG format then to capture a RAW file.  The Mini 2 is just adding Metadata to the RAW output and writing it to the card.  DJI could have easily implemented this to the Mini 1 but choose not to.
2020-11-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

..Thanks..
2020-11-3
Use props
TMvideo
lvl.3
Ukraine

Occams Razor Posted at 11-3 06:59
RAW files are  essentially the raw data output from the image sensor. They are created by all digital sensors after every shot.   It actually takes more processor overhead to compress the RAW data into the JPEG format then to capture a RAW file.  The Mini 2 is just adding Metadata to the RAW output and writing it to the card.  DJI could have easily implemented this to the Mini 1 but choose not to.

You are right. But nowadays Jpeg compression is provided by dedicated hardware codec while raw requires central cpu usage for data flush. I assume developers afraid overheating because of it and Mini 2 will be equipped with more advanced micro controller for both jpeg and dng support.
2020-11-3
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Occams Razor Posted at 11-3 06:59

Hi and thanks for reaching out to DJI, we will be happy to forward this suggestion to our engineers and if they decide it's worth while we will include it in our next product, thank you and happy flights.
2020-11-3
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99797 ft
Czechia

TMvideo Posted at 11-3 07:27
You are right. But nowadays Jpeg compression is provided by dedicated hardware codec while raw requires central cpu usage for data flush. I assume developers afraid overheating because of it and Mini 2 will be equipped with more advanced micro controller for both jpeg and dng support.

overheating while raw saving? why? ? raw saving can be slow, it's not video.
2020-11-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TMvideo Posted at 11-3 07:27

Thanks.....so whilst theoretically possible it may be inadvisable?
2020-11-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-3 21:38
Hi and thanks for reaching out to DJI, we will be happy to forward this suggestion to our engineers and if they decide it's worth while we will include it in our next product, thank you and happy flights.

2020-11-4
Use props
TMvideo
lvl.3
Ukraine

JHa Posted at 11-3 22:30

Poor (clean) raw data will be not compatible with CameraRaw and other software. I saw this only in Chinese action cameras (GitUp and Sjcam) and those raw files required special soft to convert them into usable dng's. So, raw data have to be placed into DNG structure for better compatibility with various photo software (Cameraraw etc.). If no hardware codec on board then only cpu can do it. I guess it looks this way.
2020-11-4
Use props
TMvideo
lvl.3
Ukraine

Sean-newbie Posted at 11-4 03:23
Thanks.....so whilst theoretically possible it may be inadvisable?

This only my guess and circumstances. I feel my Mini is warm after long flight. So, what the critical temperature could be reached with additional tasks? I don't know. But Dji is prefer to minimize any risks for sure.
2020-11-4
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

TMvideo Posted at 11-4 06:29
Poor (clean) raw data will be not compatible with CameraRaw and other software. I saw this only in Chinese action cameras (GitUp and Sjcam) and those raw files required special soft to convert them into usable dng's. So, raw data have to be placed into DNG structure for better compatibility with various photo software (Cameraraw etc.). If no hardware codec on board then only cpu can do it. I guess it looks this way.

DNG generating on CPU is not a problem. It's not real-time video compression into H.264 or HEVC, dng can be produced on CPU, it may be slow.
2020-11-4
Use props
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-3 21:38

Blah blah...
2020-11-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JHa Posted at 2020-11-3 22:30

I love it when technically un-qualified people feel free to make comments like this. Saving RAW images is definitely a slow process, because you have to write full frames of data for every frame of video that exists. Therefore it can be a very difficult thing to do within the speed constraints of the SD card and the associated processing. And into the bargain, you still have to maintain a highly compressed MPEG stream to feed back to the RC control unit for preview purposes.
2021-1-26
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-26 17:57
I love it when technically un-qualified people feel free to make comments like this. Saving RAW images is definitely a slow process, because you have to write full frames of data for every frame of video that exists. Therefore it can be a very difficult thing to do within the speed constraints of the SD card and the associated processing. And into the bargain, you still have to maintain a highly compressed MPEG stream to feed back to the RC control unit for preview purposes.

I love it when technically un-qualified people feel free to make comments like this.

You just proved your own point.  RAW image files have nothing to do with  "every frame of video".
2021-1-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Occams Razor Posted at 1-26 19:18
I love it when technically un-qualified people feel free to make comments like this.

You just proved your own point.  RAW image files have nothing to do with  "every frame of video".

Yes, you are quite correct, I was thinking of RAW Video....
2021-1-26
Use props
JHa
lvl.4
Czechia

Geebax Posted at 1-26 20:50
Yes, you are quite correct, I was thinking of RAW Video....

I love it when technically unqualified people thinking. This thread is about RAW images and I wrote exactly it's not about video.
2021-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules