1428 7 2015-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is kind of a common topic to all the systems so thought I would ask here. I have the E600 system on a modified F550. About once a week I go over all the props, especially the leading edge and clean off a surprising amount of stuff. I make sure I keep the propellers as clean as possible.

Today I was thinking those things must have some air friction at the speeds they are turning so I tried applying some lemon pledge to them and then wiping off gently. There has been lots of discussion about how pledge can reduce friction on race cars (not conclusive either) so I thought I would try it.  I flew this evening and believe it or not it seemed to fly a few minutes longer and the props seemed quieter. One of the people passing by even said wow, that thing is quiet - no kidding. I'm not saying it actually made a difference but it did make me think about it.

So what about a light sanding of the props with something like #600 paper. Would that make a difference? Odd thing is golf balls have less friction when they have dimples rather than smooth because of the "boundary layer" thing.

How do you guys care for your props? Anything special?
2015-6-26
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

That is interesting about the lemon pledge. I might give it a try,
2015-7-1
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

I use ICE by Turtle wax.  Can't document efficiency or noise improvement, but it makes me feel better.
2015-7-2
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I'm going to try the Lemon Pledge thing.  It should make the bug bodies skim off and give it a nice smell at the same time.  Not that it smells bad now.
2015-7-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-10 20:38
I'm going to try the Lemon Pledge thing.  It should make the bug bodies skim off and give it a nice  ...

LOL that is funny...
2015-7-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

and true.
2015-7-13
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

You don't think the sweet lemon smell will attract more and bigger bugs?
2015-7-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-7-14 19:57
You don't think the sweet lemon smell will attract more and bigger bugs?

LOL that would be bad, didn't think of that. {:2_29:}
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules